PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a jetski or waverunner, need info.

tandy ass
09-02-03, 06:49 AM
I'm at the point where I dont want to be towing my ski boat around all the time whenever we go out and I dont want everyone to have to put up with feeding the government revenue machine now that you require a licence to operate a boat (as of February 2003 I believe) so I'll rarely ever get a ski.

I'll most likely get between $5000-$7000 for my boat which is an older 308 midmount ski boat, I am considering purchasing a waverunner to replace it.

I've ridden a SeaDoo two seater waverunner a couple of years ago and loved it, I think it was a three cylinder 900cc two stroke, does that sound correct? It had a digital dash and went through 40 litres of fuel every two or so hours when driven 'enthusiastically'.

So what's the go these days with purchase costs, running costs, depreciation and maintenence of these watercraft? I dont plan on taking it out to sea in saltwater, it will only be used in freshwater lakes and rivers such as Eildon, Hazelwood and the Murray. Whats better, SeaDoo, Yamaha or some other brand, and what are the benefits/drawbacks of each brand?

Or should I be looking elsewhere for a review/information?

OVB471
09-02-03, 07:35 AM
Not sure about vic laws but i thought u had to have a lic to drive boats anything over 6hp or PWC(personal water crafts)

Freshwater is the best for waverunners but that being said u dont really have any problems with salt water as long as u flush it and wash it throughly after every use and saturate the engine with WD40 after washing it down.

Yes they guzzle fuel like a donkey in the desert.I went out weekend b4 last and went thru 1 full tank and 40 litres on top of that.But we thrash it senseless out the seaway and in the surf at the spit.

Best to purchase a near new or ex demo model as u save a few thousand $$$ and still get the thing near new.Try to pick up one 2nd hand with less than 40 hrs use.

tandy ass
09-02-03, 07:50 AM
Vic had no licencing laws till February last year I believe, anybody of any age could drive any boat or PWC anywhere within Victoria.

I'm guessing typical cost to be between $10,000 and $15,000 for one, if its had less than 40 hours use it would be virtually brand new. What does it cost to service them and what needs replacing when they get older/wear out etc. How often do they need servicing, say perhaps one that's had 200 hours of use.

Can it be done with regular tools at home or does it require special workshop balancing/machining/whatever tools that the typical home mechanic wouldn't have access to?

tandy ass
09-02-03, 07:52 AM
Furthermore, I'm after a good sporty one, I've never driven a jetski but really had a great time on a waverunner, I'm after one that is the best fun to thrash around, jump, roll, injure myself with etc... I guess a smaller one would be more agile and fun on the water, seating two people is not a necessity although would be nice....

Cruisin'
09-02-03, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine has a 90's model model Sea Doo. It'll seat 2 people, tow another and still fly. He bought it 2nd hand for about 3 grand. He's really happy with it, but does regret buying one second hand as he's had a few problems. Most recently its been starter motor and the rings I think. He's a mechanic in the navy so he can pretty much fix it all himself and he's just basically got the tools any car enthusiast would have. Having said all that, anything that has gone wrong hasn't been anything major, and considering how much we thrash it its stood up to it very well.

Only ever rides it in saltwater, he just flushes it out really well after each use.

Do you need a licence to operate one in VIC? Here in NSW you do, some pretty hefty fines for getting caught without one. Also around where I live the prices of them are dropping because the places your allowed to ride them are becoming less and less.

tandy ass
09-02-03, 12:23 PM
3 grand is dirt cheap.... I'm after a modern-ish one though, I want some good handling in the water and I've heard (from salespeople) that the older ones aren't as good as the newer ones for in water fun.

Oz_Craig
09-02-03, 12:50 PM
i have riden, many jet skis and am finnaly going to purchase one some time at the end of the year, here is my buying guide

* dont buy anything under 750cc other wise you will regret it, slow as and not eunff torque for skiing

* I prefer the Yamaha models over seado as there are lighter and arent as big and bulky, which means ya can throw them around a lot easier

* try and get one that has been realy well maintained and thourghly washed out after each use

as for licencing laws in nsw it used to be and pretty sure its still the same

*Anyone can drive a boat as long as they stay under 10 knots,
*no one can drive a jet ski with out a PWC licence ( not a boat licence)

TheNewMonaro
09-02-03, 12:54 PM
You need a licence to drive a PWC too Bozz.

Now, a 2 seater is more likely to have to power to tow someone on a biscuit, kneeboard etc, plus you need the extra seat for an observer.

tandy ass
09-02-03, 01:15 PM
I know you need a PWC licence to drive a waverunner too.

tandy ass
09-02-03, 01:15 PM
I know you need a PWC licence to drive a waverunner too.

Point is, the audience that I want coming out with me boating has been dramatically reduced over the past year and a few of my mates have boats now and mine is the smallest of the lot so we need someone with a good waverunner, that someone is me :)

FatBoy
09-02-03, 06:09 PM
No contest: Yamaha GP 1200-R.

I rode one recently, awesome performance. 155hp, Seats 2, will tow a skier with ease, and you can get a 2001-2002 for possibly as low as $10,000. I'm on the lookout for one at the moment...

I think Shane (OVB) has one that's a '99 or '00 and he got it super cheap and loves it...

Paul...

TheNewMonaro
09-02-03, 08:02 PM
Shane fits on it without it sinking?! ;)

Yes, couple of mates have Yamahas up at Eildon... both haven't skipped a beat even when we've been thrashing them.

FatBoy
09-02-03, 08:30 PM
I think it has extra floating buoyancy built in... ;)

Ronan
09-02-03, 08:31 PM
My GP1200R '00 Mlenium edition ski is for sale, Brissy with 65hrs on the clock. 11K FIRM.
Comes with 6month old Swiftco trailer.
mh97@hotmail.com Pic available upon request.

LINO28
09-02-03, 08:32 PM
DO NOT BUY SEA DOO SKIS.

That is the most important thing to remember.
They are the most unreliable watercraft on earth, ask any one on www.pwctoday.com forums.

Yamaha 701 engines are the most reliable and the most fun to ride, they come out in the Waveblaster 1's and the 760 come out in the WB2's, these 2 skis are wave jumping skis and closest to a moto cross bike you can get.
Only manly suited to single riding.

Yamaha GP1200's are the best if you want to cruise around with 2 people tow now and then and generally cruise around, you can also hit the surf everynow and then too without problems. Its just the V in the hull cuts through the wave rather than launch you up like the flatter hull Waveblasters.

Do not Buy a GP800, these have 784cc engines that are too small for the weight of the ski.

You can get Gp1200'sfor anywhere from $6800 in pretty crap condition up to $10 000 +.

Do not buy a ski that hasnt been flushed regularly or rolled a lot, ask the guy what kind of maintainence he does on it after every ride?
If there is any corrosion or signs of rust on any bolts parts or anything in the engine compartment steer clear this probably means he hasnt taken care and you dont know what rust is INSIDE the engine!!

go here for some maintainece tips http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/msgofast/jetski.html

anymore Q's just ask or go to www.pwctoday.com forums

FatBoy
09-02-03, 08:34 PM
Ronan: A 3 year old Ski with a 6 month old trailer ?? What gives ??

11K is a bit steep btw, i think Shane paid about 9 for his and it had about 40 hours work...

LINO: Some great tips there, thanks... What would you recommend if i want to be a d!ckhead and launch as high as possible off waves at the beach ?? :)

LINO28
09-02-03, 08:47 PM
well im that d!ckhead and thats exactly what im picking up on Wednesday.

WB1 all the way, no one can tell you that your wrong, you cant be a huge person to ride them though, price is from $3500 for a 93 up to $8000 for a 97 Wb2 in perfect condition.

The Wavblaster 1 cannot be ridden 2 up easily but the WB2 can and still has the same handling characteristics as the Wb1.

The WB2 is sleightly heavier and bulkier but has a 760 engine rather than the 701.

Theseskis are pretty much surf skis and arnt the best for all day cruises on the flat.

Think of a Yamaha Waveblaster 1 or 2 as a moto cross bike and a GP1200 as a road - trail bike,

heres some pics of a wavblaster 1 (exactly the same as mine) they come in purple and black, red and black and purple and black, depending on the year

LINO28
09-02-03, 08:48 PM
this is what im planning to do, everyone can do it with a blaster

LINO28
09-02-03, 08:49 PM
the red ones are WB1 and the green and white one is a WB2

Jamx6
09-02-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by LINO28
this is what im planning to do, everyone can do it with a blaster

:eek:

FatBoy
09-02-03, 09:47 PM
Now THAT is the kinda sh!t i want to be doing !! :D :D

Problem is at 105kgs maybe i'm a bit heavy for one of them... :(

tandy ass
09-02-03, 09:55 PM
Thanks a lot for that LIN028, I'll be doing more research on those forums...

And thanks to everyone else too, keep the knowledge/experiences coming... I want a half cruiser half nutcase waverunner though..

Oz_Craig
09-02-03, 10:06 PM
lino28 and fatboy are right go the gp1200 all the way!!!

2ofdem
09-02-03, 10:35 PM
Yeah dont but a seadoo unreliable and unstable when slow i got a ZXi1100 kawasaki it has 135hp will do 65mph and get there in a hurry. will pull a skier no drama

Boxer
09-02-03, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by FatBoy
No contest: Yamaha GP 1200-R.

I rode one recently, awesome performance. 155hp, Seats 2, will tow a skier with ease, and you can get a 2001-2002 for possibly as low as $10,000. I'm on the lookout for one at the moment...
Paul...

Oh yeah - rode one almost two years back (2001 model) OMG I think 0-100kmh was around 7secs from memory - and we were in the Noosa river. But by far wave jumping at Kings beach was the best fun I've had on water (not in the water though ;))

Mnd you LINO28 - we were not getting anywhere near the air those guys in your pic are getting :D

Aphex
10-02-03, 12:28 AM
my best advice is buy a kawasaki
i used to own a Kawasaki 1100STX then I got a Yamaha XL 1200 Limited (and even though it was a bit quicker than the STX, i still regret ever buying the piece of sh1t), and I now have a Kawasaki again, an Ultra 150 - this thing is a BEAST!. Yamaha's are pretty dodgy, and my jetski mechanic agrees. everyone I know who owns them has had heaps of problems with them (my mate who owns a SUV1200 4 seater is on his 3rd engine). oh yeah, keep your jetski stock... the minute you start modifying them they fuk up, or will fuk up soon enough.

OVB471
10-02-03, 04:01 AM
Hey go easy on the floatation stuff boys ive just lost 18kgs in the last 8 weeks and float quite easily now.:p :p :p and the waverunner flies with me on it.

that 2nd pics is made but i dont have that big of balls to go that high but did the other week about half of that out the seaway with a mate on the back we were about 1.5 m out of the water and all he was hanging on to was my life jacket.

Lino when u get it want to head out next sunday morning?????early??? let me know or monday im easy i have both days off.

actually going for a squirt tommorrow about lunch time cant wait pick up my new wetsuit in the morning and of i go.

PS my waverunner 99 gp1200 was quicker than my mates kwasaki 1100

who says it doesnt float or cruise easy with me on.

http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/data/500/315MVC-329S-med.JPG

EGG-12A
10-02-03, 08:18 AM
Have you considered a standup Ski....?

I have a Kawasaki 750sx stand up, and love it. Very manouverable, jumps, subs, rolls etc, much more of a challenge than a tank (i mean sit dosn ski;))

1996 750sx worth about $3500 now, and i have had mine for 3 years now, never had a problem, bar 1 broken engine mount...

LINO28
10-02-03, 08:30 AM
yeah shane im not too sure if im gonna head out this weekend cause im heading upto the motorshow and its my GF's Birthday, the week after for sure.

My mate with his SEE POO should be up running by then (seized the front cylinder on its second ride!! total of 15mins riding) so he will come out too.

Who said Yamaha's are shit??
The 701 series engines are the most reliable engine made for a PWC, they use this engine on all the hire skis and rarly have problems with them.Same goes for most yamaha engine EXCEPt the new 2002 R's have some problems with the powervalves.

Ultras are sick too, your choice for what you want to do and your size should be probably a GP1200 or Ultra

willsy01
10-02-03, 11:00 AM
Seadoo's are far from the most unreliable ski out there.......we've had our 96 XP for about 4 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. I've whacked a WestCoast grate, a Skat Trak prop and a WestCoast flame arrestor on it and I can match it with some of the newer skis on the water

They may have changed a bit in more recent times but i'm sure there is a reason why they were the only ski's that were raced in the late 90's........

And I think it is pretty admirable that they can get the same sort of power with one less cylinder than every other engine......

........and it is illegal to tow a skier/wakeboarder/ski biscuit or whatever with a two seater ski. You need a seat for the third person being towed......

KDog
10-02-03, 12:27 PM
This is an excellent thread. I was thinking of purchasing a PWC in the near future so this is very helpfull to me.
What's the best place to look for ski's? Or should you just stick with the usual resources eg trading post, shops etc?

Any extra info on checks/probs relating to the recommended skis eg WB1,2 and the GP1200?

Ustasa
10-02-03, 12:43 PM
I drove a Yamaha 1200 2 stroke up at Port Douglas a few weeks ago and the thing picked up to 80 km/hr like a missile. Guy who owned it reckons if you have the guts to hold the throttle (for a while) you will see 100 km/hr on the speedo.

Btw it was the first time I have ridden one and it won’t be the last :) :)

50SLO
10-02-03, 01:52 PM
Slight thread hi-jack but just posted a seadoo in the FS section.

http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67142494

TheDarkRaver
10-02-03, 02:20 PM
Please do me yourself a favour and DO NOT BUY A SEADOO I bought mine the beggining of summer 02 2000 model XP Limited had less than 40 hours on it had a s--t load of fun on it for a little while couple of weekends washed it out really really well was in perfect condition when I first bought it then the thing just died. spent a fair few hours pulling the motor out etc to find out the starter motor dog clutch had lost a couple of teeth and some of them had found there way into the magneto so I was up for a dog clutch $350 and a magneto $500 fair enough put it all back together thrashed around on it for another couple of weekends when the damn thing stopped again I hadnt flipped it or anything so getting water into it wouldnt be a possability but I think somthing has sessed in it havnt had time to pull it all apart again (fair job pulling the motor out) but I think it might be a bit more major this time and cost me some extra $$$ when I talked to the dealer about it he said the Seadoo's are always f--king up!

Any way that's my 2 cents.

Die S#$TDOO

LINO28
10-02-03, 04:57 PM
The XP Limited engine is the most unreliable known to man.

By the way the Waveblaster is the most successfull ski in its class ever. No other ski has won as many races as a Waveblaster (so the U.S forums tell me and no one argued!!)

OVB471
11-02-03, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Ustasa
I drove a Yamaha 1200 2 stroke up at Port Douglas a few weeks ago and the thing picked up to 80 km/hr like a missile. Guy who owned it reckons if you have the guts to hold the throttle (for a while) you will see 100 km/hr on the speedo.

Btw it was the first time I have ridden one and it won’t be the last :) :)

Ustasa - Yes had mine upto 95 going thru the seaway yesterday.The most ive had it up to is 104 my brother had it up to 108.Bloody scary at those speeds.

Few other points - make sure u get a wetsuit (im picked up mine yesterday b4 i went out saves ur ass getting real sore and rashed)get some gloves (still havent got them yet and have 3 blisters on my hands now)and some boots too always help.

Ps if u plan on going wavejumping in 2m surf like we did yesterday at south straddie be prepared to be sore the next day.Or maybe thats just my age coming out but im very sore today.That second pic lino posted earlier was like my mate yesterday on his waveblaster crazy bastard was getting a good 3m out of the water yesterday on some of the waves i could only manage about 1-1.5 and the body is paying for it now especially knee joint/muscle area. But hey was fun being out there with not many other guys on the water like u have on sunday when u have every man and his dog on the water.

willsy01
11-02-03, 08:09 AM
By the way the Waveblaster is the most successfull ski in its class ever. No other ski has won as many races as a Waveblaster (so the U.S forums tell me and no one argued!!)

Bear in mind that there was only one other ski in the same class as the Waveblaster.......the Seadoo HX. I'll be the first to admit that the HX wasn't anything special......
I'm talkin' the 785 Stock/Superstock categories........Seadoos dominated. The Rotax 800 engine is a beauty but from what I am hearing here the 951cc engine is a bit of an anchor......

Jim
11-02-03, 08:13 AM
my next door neighbour is selling two if them, a 750 for $3k and an 1100 for $5k. i dont know details but if anyone wants to know more then PM me and i'll find out. (theyre both in newcastle)

Forg
11-02-03, 08:23 AM
Do you have to be a dick to own one of these? Or does it just help? :)

OVB471
11-02-03, 08:35 AM
no too have heaps of fun u need to have a big set of NUTS

willsy01
11-02-03, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Forg

You see, this is the type of attitude that pisses me off........I acknowledge the fact that there are a number of PWC users that drive like dicks, but that doesn't mean everyone who owns one is a dick. I own one, I pay my rego, I have a license and abide by the laws that have been but in place.
Think before you make a stoopid comment like that......

TheDarkRaver
11-02-03, 08:53 AM
Well pulled the S--TDOO apart last night, Turns out the big end is stuffed bits of metal floating all around the bottom of the engine. I havnt bulled the conrod of yet but on the one thats fine you can see needle roolers and the stuffed one they have all kinda disaperd ekkkkkkk so I am hoping it wont be TO EXSPENSIVE!!

Any way just thought I would tell you's

And yes the 951 is the dodgyest motor ever made!!

They are even worse than those volvos with Dicks driving them :rolleyes: :D

Forg
11-02-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by HedgeHog
Nah all the 'dicks' are still driving Volvo's.... Forg, so no need to change your habbits just yet.
I suspected that wouldn't be a particularly popular comment. It's exactly like calling people in 4WD dicks; the 5% of 4WD owners that aren't dicks have a valid complaint when I say that, but the other 95% are covered quite nicely with my generalisation. :)

PS. "habbit" ... is that a child-sized person with hairy feet that lives on the heads of nuns?

tandy ass
11-02-03, 10:10 AM
Forg; you've got good and valid points 99.8% of the time, leave this thread alone gramps :)

Who makes the engines in Sea-Doo's?

All waverunners are 2 strokes, are they not?

I'm hunting one thats a good compromise of handling, straight line speed (the 900 Sea Doo I was in a few years back could hit around 95km/h on the Murray river) and a little bit of jumping, I doubt I'll be doing much over a meter or 1.5m....

Cheers

willsy01
11-02-03, 10:40 AM
Sea Doo engines are made by Rotax (which I think are Austrian????)

Most of them are 2 stroke but I know Sea Doo are using 4 strokes in some of their skis.....the fuel injected ones are 4 stroke I think

I love my 1996 XP....it's 110hp and will tickle 100 clicks in a straight line. It handles quite nicely but if you want razor sharp cornering, buy a set of aftermarket sponsons. These are the things that bolt on to the sides at the back of the ski.....the after market ones are longer and dig into the water and let you corner on a 10c piece.
The best 2 upgrades to start off with are an intake grate (shovels water into the pump and stops cavitating) and a nice impeller like a Skat Trak Swirl.......matched with a good intake grate the ski will go a heap better in rougher water as it is pulling more water through the pump.
Then you can get more performance orientated with a new head and pistons and big Factory Pipe exhaust system........if only I had more money.....

OVB471
11-02-03, 10:47 AM

Why would u have to be a dick to own one??There was a group of about 8 guys two weeks ago down the jetty putting their waverunners in and they were all in there 40-50's one guy even had it being towed by his new BMW,but i guess he is a dick too is he??????

When i said big nuts i was referring to jumping waves out in the surf.Especially when he was getting a good 3m out of the water.

And yes most riders obey the laws eg 6 knots in canals and around boats etc etc i havent seen any yet not obeying the laws.Its really for there own saftety i think anyway.

tandy ass
11-02-03, 12:01 PM
The main jumping I was doing was the wake of a boat, perhaps getting it a meter or so in the air. Whats the general concensus about purchasing one, do sellers allow you to take it out for a test before purchase? Thats how I bought my boat, I offered the seller $100 for a day trip out to ensure the boat is fine and suitable for me, he was more than happy to oblige whilst some people completely scorned at the offer. It will be an inland waverunner, I doubt I'll ever take it out to sea although I might if I'm able to...

willsy01
11-02-03, 12:12 PM
The two people i've purchaed from have been happy to let me take it for a quick whiz.......they've both just asked to hold on to my drivers license in case I ride off into the sunset!
The first one I bought scared the crapper out of me......was hopped up for racing and was running avgas. The acceleration was freaky.

LINO28
11-02-03, 12:17 PM
most guys ive come across let you take them out for a strap but shop generally dont.

What engines in your 96 Xp Willsy??

And yes the 951 SeePoo engineis an anchor, especially when it runs off one cylinder!!!

think the XP limited skis are the worst built, my mates had the Powervalve hose GLUED onto a T piece and the metal hook which attches to the trailer and ski was cracked!!!
Also the foot grips are made of plastic and are as slippery as hell.

Gat a Yamaha or Kawasaki

3gig4me
11-02-03, 12:28 PM
I had one of the last Waveblaster II models (the green one) and it was pretty good, I could have it just about on its side when cornering, its was a real blast (pardon the pun) to ride... not really fast enough for me tho, as it was a 760cc, it topped out at about 80km/h and my friends on the gp1200s would just leave me for dead... acceleration was good, as it was fitted with the same size pump/impeller as the 1200 from the factory...

I would go all the way and get a 1200 if I bought another one...

tandy ass
11-02-03, 12:38 PM
I checked out the PWC site linked on the first page, I couldn't find too much info there about purchasing one for a person who doesn't know much about them. There was plenty of info on mods and repairs though.

What are some recommended ones and approximate price ranges that I should be looking at. Would a $15,000 current model waverunner be more fun/refined to ride than one a few years old for, say, $8,000?
How do they compare to the 5-10yo ones in the $3,000-$6,000 bracket?

I mean what do the newer ones do that the older ones dont? Are the older ones more reliable than the newer ones?

Forg
11-02-03, 12:45 PM
I thought PWC engines were somewhat like dirt-bike engines & outboards, in that they wear very quickly (I assume it's due to a combo of running at full-rip most of the time, and salt water)? I know that the friends of mine who used to have them always had considerably more trouble once they got over being a few years old ... more so than the outboards, now I think of it. I would've therefore thought that you were taking a bigger gamble on an older one.

OVB471
11-02-03, 12:50 PM
My yamaha 99 gp1200 is very relioable and its thrashed everytime ur on it.It has 135hp compared to the new ones which has 155.
For a 99-00 model yamaha looking at anywhere between 10-13k

Mate told me that the 99-00 model seem better than the new ones apart fromt he hp difference and he runs a yamaha shop o the gold coast.

Here is another thing too look at

The police have the yamahas on the gold coast aswell as the lifeguards so that must be saying something about realiability.

Dont waste money on a brand new one get an ex demo or one slightly 2nd hand under 40 hrs.

willsy01
11-02-03, 01:03 PM
The newer skis have more refined engines basically......some of them use fuel injection instead of carbs and just have more luxury features like a big digital multifunction display and eskys and stuff. I'm sure hull designs have changed to give a softer, smoother ride.
If you want a cheaper ski you can go for a Yamaha Waveraider 1100, these were the quickest ski on the market when new.......a 1996 XP like mine are nice......

http://www.seadoo.com/seadoo/web/html/archives/english/watercraft/archives_1996/models_1996/models/xp.html

You can pick them up for about $5K-$6K.....not sure how much the Yammys go for though.....

Lino.......my XP runs the 800 Rotax engine. 110 horsies, Mikuni Carbs, West Coast flame arrestor, Worx intake grate, Skat Trak Swirl impeller, UMI Billet aluminium steering kit and West Coast ride plate and hull extensions. I want to get myself a new exhaust soon as well but they are expensive :(

willsy01
11-02-03, 01:14 PM
I thought PWC engines were somewhat like dirt-bike engines & outboards, in that they wear very quickly (I assume it's due to a combo of running at full-rip most of the time, and salt water)? I know that the friends of mine who used to have them always had considerably more trouble once they got over being a few years old ... more so than the outboards, now I think of it. I would've therefore thought that you were taking a bigger gamble on an older one.

If they are maintained well there is no reason why they shouldn't last quite a while. As long as you feed it good quality oil, flush it really well after using it in salt water, keep everything well lubricated and give the engine a spray with fresh water and allow it to evaporate away it should last well.
If it i has been kept on a waterfront don't buy it......my mates ski is kept on a waterfront and it is in terrible condition. The constant exposure to salt air kills them.

LINO28
11-02-03, 01:19 PM
whats the UMI steering kit like Willsy??

IF youwant something thats gonna be more reliable wait a little while untill the new 4 strokes are redily available,
better on fuel, reliability and pollution.

I reckon if your set on cruising around, having a tow, hitting the waves now and then a late 90's GP1200 is the right ski. They are reliable parts are common and it gets up and goes!!

Yes 3gig4me waveblasters arent the fastest things on the water, they are built for sharp cornering and hitting the waves. The hull it too flat and wont allow you to go much faster.
They are mostly a wave ski, not a cruiser.

LINO28
11-02-03, 01:23 PM
another pic for motivation!!

willsy01
11-02-03, 01:28 PM
whats the UMI steering kit like Willsy??

Love it......so much better than the factory crap. It's more upright which lets you get your weight forward of centre if need be. A lot smoother as well as it uses sealed bearings instead of plastic bushings. The bars are wider as well which makes life more pleasant when out fangin'......
I found out that they hurt when you hit an unexpected cruiser wave and smash your chin on them though.......

FatBoy
11-02-03, 02:04 PM
Sh!t stirring bastard Forg... plenty took the bait i see... :)

Can someone point me to a PWC website/forum, i get the feeling it won't be long before i own one ?? :D

Beavis
11-02-03, 02:05 PM
Do they make one big enough for ya, Slim? :p

*ducks and runs*

FatBoy
11-02-03, 02:08 PM
Pr!ck.... :D :D

Verd1ct
11-02-03, 02:09 PM
if you need a jet ski PM me. We ski every sunday, upto 30 of us.

Beavis
11-02-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FatBoy
Pr!ck.... :D :D

Aww come on.. you'd feel lonely if I didn't. :p

FatBoy
11-02-03, 02:13 PM
I half expected it... but hey, if OVB can get on one without sinking it i'm in with a good show... :p

willsy01
11-02-03, 02:16 PM
You can go to www.ozpwc.com
There is a chat section in there but I don't know how many people use it.......

http://www.pwctoday.com is based in the states but looks pretty good......

Bub
11-02-03, 02:18 PM
HIJACK! :) I've got a 99' Seadoo GSX for sale:

http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67142593

I suggest that you try out the different brands of ski's - dont just go by what people say. Most the people that own ski's do not take care of them, hence they break and start mouthing off about the brand of ski.... they wonder why there ski goes kaput after not flushing it and continuously ramming it up the beach like in baywatch - sure it impresses your mates but I dont think the prop appreciates churning through sand! If you take care of a ski you will have no problems.

As for fuel economy.... I can ride all day on $25 but freinds on Yamaha's have gone through $40 by midday - they are bigger ski's with bigger engines, you do the math.

The 951cc engine in my gsx is far from an anchor, I've beeten every ski that I've come up against in take off and top speed, including the yamaha 1200 Gp-r's or watever they're called. The speedo tops out at 110km/h but it goes over that, to about 120k which gets kind of scary :) I fell off at 80 once, it hurts, but you get over it ;)

As with car salesman dont believe everything the guys at the jet ski shop tells you - I've been to a few now and some of the crap they'll come out with... they have no mercy with bagging out the other brands - its no surprise to hear something along the lines of "my mate bought a seadoo, mate, it blew up in the first 5 mins of riding mate, mate they are crap, mate"

If buying second hand ask the seller if you can have it checked out by a dealership, they'll tell you if its a go or a no.

Good luck!

FatBoy
11-02-03, 02:20 PM
Thanks Willsy... ;)

willsy01
11-02-03, 02:25 PM
I watched a thing on the Discovery channel a while back about 3 guys that circumnavigated Australia on jetskis.......they were SeaDoos as well.
If they can handle a huge trip like that then they must be pretty durable.......

willsy01
11-02-03, 02:31 PM
Sea Doo have released a SuperCharged PWC.......185HP!!

http://www.seadoo.com/seadoo/web/jsp/main.jsp?Params=Y.US.310.33

OVB471
11-02-03, 03:09 PM
That one is huge or the guy riding it is a midget.

http://www.seadoo.com/seadoo/media/310_ph_33.jpg

LINO28
11-02-03, 04:26 PM
bub id be impressed if they beat a waveblaster 1 to the holeshot, and still beat a GpR1200 over the top speed. if so i want one!!!!
That would have to be THE perfect ski ever made!!

Im not saying that Waveblasters and GP's are the best ever but the whole engine and hull of the wavblaster 1 is to get out of the hole the quickest (just what you beed in the surf, it has the worst top speed power and stability ever!!)
The GP is a slouch out of teh hole compared to a WB but does alright at top speed!!

You cant have both!!

There are stats also on a website which im trying to re-find about the sea doo 951 engine being the most unreliable but tahts probably because peopel dont take care of them!!
It only stated that the 951 was the worst not all seadoo engines came under that category

A PWC engine will last depending on maintainence.

OVB we saw that exact ski (looked exactly the same) being launched by the sea doo reps at isle of capri on the weekend.
The thing is MASSIVE, its also got REVERSE like on a Front steer boat!!
Thats when the rep came over and told my mate his engine was seized!!

tandy ass
11-02-03, 04:29 PM
Are there many 4 stroke waverunners around now?

What servicing needs doing and do they just use the standard 25:1 ratio of petrol and 2 stroke mix? What routine service needs doing on them?

LINO28
11-02-03, 04:34 PM
in the states the 4 strokes are out and there is also a few TURBO honda ones.

most skis run off oil injection.separate fuel and oil containers.

go to http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/msgofast/jetski.html this guys is a jetski mechanic and read all the stuff hes got there,pretty well sums it up

tandy ass
11-02-03, 04:51 PM
Thanks yet again LIN028.

I do remember from riding the waverunner a few years back that when I flipped it, it had a big sticker on the underside that it could only be rotated upright again in one direction only. Why is that and what damage can happen if you dont do it that way?

I read on that site you posted that the engine internals can corrode too. Would it be safe to say, if I found one I liked, if I removed the carby then I could see whether or not there is corrosion inside it and in the intake manifold?

Cheers

LINO28
11-02-03, 05:01 PM
yeah always roll it the way it flipped over this is so that the water doesnt get in and fill the carbies and goes into the engine, thats when u get water in the engine and then people who dont do what he said when flipping it get corroded rods and bearings and everything.

The best bet would be to go to a dealer if you were unsure and get them to check it out.
$120 it costs from yamaha and they check everything front to back.

generally if you find a ski if it has corrosion on the outside steer clear. WHY?? if they cant take care of the outside, id like tosee what was inside!!!

That applies to all bolts cables, battery terminals, under on the impellor shaftany where really, there should be no rust if it was washed and prayed with WD-40 after everyride

Also look under on the intake grate and see if the impellor is all bend and chiped. Thats a quick $400 i think. and you will lose power through that and can tellif he has been chucking a baywatch rescue upon the beach all the time.

Anyone correct me if they feel im wrong,im just passing on info ive saved for reference! :)

Bub
11-02-03, 05:05 PM
Lino I think you'd be surprised how fast the GSX's really are, not sure about standard but with a few mods, in my experience they blow everything out of the water :)

willsy01
11-02-03, 05:20 PM
OVB we saw that exact ski (looked exactly the same) being launched by the sea doo reps at isle of capri on the weekend.
The thing is MASSIVE, its also got REVERSE like on a Front steer boat!!

3 seater skis have had reverse for quite a while .....my mate's got a 96 GTi and it has reverse.....it's just a big plastic thing that hinges down over the nozzle to direct the water backwards.

A lot of skis are self righting so if you come off and flip it the ski will roll back over of it's own accord.

And yes, if there is corrosion ANYWHERE.....say thanks and move on to the next one.

Have a good look at the underside of the hull.....it will be obvious if the thing has been beached regularly.

Also, grab the engine and see if there is any play in the engine mounts. A lot of people jump waves and land flat which sends a huge jolt through the ski and can weaken/bust the mounts. I've helped a guy oout who was doing just this.......the engine fell off the mounts and the hull filled up with water.

:D

Ryan

tandy ass
11-02-03, 05:36 PM
Is there a typical CR of the engines in waverunners? Is the CR an effective way of telling engine wear in a 2 stroke?

Bub
11-02-03, 07:39 PM

Who said Yamaha's are shit??
The 701 series engines are the most reliable engine made for a PWC, they use this engine on all the hire skis and rarly have problems with them.Same goes for most yamaha engine EXCEPt the new 2002 R's have some problems with the powervalves.

Did the guy at the Yamaha shop tell you this?

Around 50% of the world PWC market is Seadoo, the other 3 or 4 major players are devided up into the other 50% - if the seadoo's are so shit as you say, why does everyone keep buying them?

It does'nt matter what PWC you buy, if you dont look after it, its going to break - my GSX has done 120 hours and has'nt missed a beet - even towed a few yamaha's to shore in its time :p - but I wont generalise and say that Yamaha are shithouse because I've seen one or two not running properly... look how many are running just fine!

Bombardier make the engines for the Seadoo's, they also make engines for fighter jets so they must be doing something right!

I dont want to get into a big argument about Seadoo vs. Yamaha because its a Ford vs. Holden type of thing... they are both good in there own ways and it comes down to the buyers preference, but just because someone had a mate that had a problem with a Seadoo, it does'nt meen to say the other million Seadoo's out there are crap.

happy as larry
11-02-03, 08:56 PM
Who would honestly buy a yamahahahahaha waveblaster. they are an absolute bucket. Me and my mates were going to by one just so we could abuse it and then hop back on our 4 NON BOAT ANCHOR SEADOO GSX LIMITEDs. 951cc 130hp, 98 and 99 models, lighter, better handling and faster than the equivelant yamaha gp1200 but slightly SLOWER than the 1200R.
My opinion after 6 years of riding, they are all time bombs, they are toys, and just like cars, they will cost you money!
For 1 person fun with the occasional passenger seadoo 96 xp or 97 & up spx or kawazaki ultra 150 which is more $$$ but much faster.
for a good all round ski, 2 people, seadoo gsx 110hp or gsx 130hp limited. good 4 cruising and still good in the surf. yamaha gps, very reliable but not quiet as nimble because of the xtra wieght and size but still a very good ski. GP1200R very good stable ski and a bit faster than the seadoo.
Skis not buy, kawazaki ZXI dont handle but are very good fun if you dont have to turn in a hurry. Yamahahahaha waveblaster like trying to ride a fricken bar fridge and same goes for seadoo xp 97 up but not quiet as bad and at least they are much faster.
this is My non biased opinion from a 3 time seadoo owner for 6 years!

willsy01
11-02-03, 09:07 PM
OK people......each to their own.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on different skis and engines......and have encountered different problems with each. It's an even battle in the end.....

happy as larry
11-02-03, 09:15 PM
What brand of ski do the nsw watergays and surf life saving clubs use

LINO28
11-02-03, 11:52 PM
yamaha here on the coast, same with the water police.
im not saying the Sea Doos are all absolutly shite, im just saying that the engine in the Xp Limited's arnt quite bullet proof.

once again im not saying all sea doos are crap im just saying that the 951 engine the the 99 XP limiteds arent the best and saying to look out for them.

Yamaha also make outboards, bike and car engines, keyboards, drums, Hi-Fi equipment and Recorders that everyone in priamry school uses!!! Must tell you something

True it is a Holden VS Ford thing on the water also.

Happy as Larry, the waveblaster isnt quite a runabout, its only a single seater, more like a standup but you can sit down, XP's are more 2 seaters. and they have about 250cc more capacity. BTW WB's only weigh 140kg

im not saying all this cause my mates one ****ed up, i wasnt suprised it ****ed up cause he decided he wanted a ski one day went to a shop the next and bought it in 5 mins, no looking around and didnt even check it out.
Also when the front cylinder seized and the Sea-Doo rep for the gold coast came to see what was wrong he told us that the Xp Limited motors were the worst sea doo motor built and redily has these problems with the particular model of engine in the XP-L.

I have not even spoken to a Yamaha Dealer.

The reason why you might not have liked the Waveblaster is because they are harder to ride, you cant just jump on one and expect to fly about like you do on a 2 seater boat.
They take a while to master.

The GSX and the WB are opposite machines, more like comparing a Road bike to a Moto cross bike, the WB is only 40.5 inches wide (Super jets are only 36.8) i think your GSX is a bit wider.

What size engine is in your GSX bub, are they very light??

i dont want a shite fight just giving Bozz advice that ive heard. if he set a See Doo i dont think what im saying is gonna change it.
How boring wouldit be if we all liked the same ski's anyway!!

LINO28
11-02-03, 11:53 PM
Fark that was a bit long

OVB471
12-02-03, 03:54 AM
Lets get a few down the gold coast one weekend and have some races on the water?????????that way we can see what is what.

1) i got a yamaha gp1200

now all we need is a seadoo,waveblaster and kawasaki and we can play.

Aphex
12-02-03, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by OVB471
Lets get a few down the gold coast one weekend and have some races on the water?????????that way we can see what is what.

1) i got a yamaha gp1200

now all we need is a seadoo,waveblaster and kawasaki and we can play.

kawasaki owner here - i got a 2002 Ultra 150
i should be able to come, i'm down the broadwater a lot, mainly out the seaway getting seriously airborne in the surf :D

LINO28
12-02-03, 08:22 AM
sweet, im up for it OVB.i know i wont win but id like to see what it can actually do!
Wavblaster top out at about 78km/h (not farking fast at all!!)but if i wanted something for riding the speed i would have got a Gp1200/Ultra

is your GP1200 standard or have any mods??

My mates got an 99XP that *should* be fixed this week.

im guessing over a distance

ULTRA 150
GP1200
Xp99
Waveblaster

tandy ass
12-02-03, 11:14 AM
Any chance I could fly up and have a shootout with you fella's on the water to 'help' me decide which one to buy? :)

tandy ass
12-02-03, 11:16 AM
One more thing on these machines, how do they keep working when you jump a wave and go completely underwater nose first? Do the engines know to shut off somehow and avoid ingesting water?

Bub
12-02-03, 11:25 AM
Yup I know what you meen about those XP Limited engines, luckily I found this out before buying a ski! Apparently they are just plain crap. Its a certain few models - 99' ish I think? But dont be fooled, not all 951cc engines are the same, just that certain model.

XP's are two seaters but if you try and get 2 average sized people on them it becomes very unstable... its more of a 1 person ski IMO.

Bub
12-02-03, 11:31 AM
Bozz the jet ski should land with its arse in the water first - if it lands flat expect to have a very sore back for the next few days! You have to be quite a heavy guy on a lighter ski to get the nose under.... or really know what you are doing.

As for engine cut off, I suppose once the engine runs out of air it just cuts out... but you can go for a little while under water without it cutting.

willsy01
13-02-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Bozz
One more thing on these machines, how do they keep working when you jump a wave and go completely underwater nose first? Do the engines know to shut off somehow and avoid ingesting water?

They are never underwater long enough to starve the engine of oxygen......the guys that do that freestyle type stuff have a massive bilge pump setup (some have 3 or 4 pumps) that is activated if enough water gets in.....it is cleared out quick smart.

2ofdem
13-02-03, 12:46 PM
The air in the hull of the jetski is what it runs on and alot of it and you cant stay under that long that it will run out.

Rustla
20-02-03, 02:32 PM
just need to know some dimensions and weights of typical sized jet ski's for an idea i have

willsy01
20-02-03, 02:36 PM
They weigh a bit over 200kgs......not sure of dimensions though. Go to www.seadoo.com or www.yamaha.com for some dimensions.....

Rustla
20-02-03, 03:09 PM
thanks, ill check it out , ill post up more info on what i wanna do when i know, im not quite sur emyself yet

hardcoregtr
20-02-03, 03:18 PM
anyoen got any goss on polaris waverunners or are they rebranded seadoos I think they have a 135hp model.

jasondale
20-02-03, 05:07 PM
I would wait for a bit, Honda will be releasing their 4 stroke jet ski soon, 1100 cc n/a and 1100 cc turbo. The motor is from the CBR 1100, will get some spy pics when I can.

LINO28
20-02-03, 05:20 PM
i would still wait a bit after the new hondas have been out a while so they can see how they hold up. I think its new territory for them in ski's.
How much are the new ones jasondale??

Waveblaster dimensions
length 95.7"
width 34.6"
height 35.8"
weight 145kg
701cc
73hp

the Wb is a very small ski compared to an 99XP

hardcoregtr
20-02-03, 05:22 PM
whats a good price for a yamaha 1200R? 2nd hand low use seen them from high 11's to 14 or so. the 155hp model. say 2000 on.

jasondale
20-02-03, 05:23 PM
no idea on cost as yet, these ones here are just for final evaluation, will try and find out though. I believe the n/a one has been out in the US for about a year... soo

LINO28
20-02-03, 05:37 PM
yeah the turbo hondas have been out for a little while too over there. didnt know they used the CBR engines though!

are u in the industry?

optical
20-02-03, 09:27 PM
ooo im gonna be considering gettin one soon aswell. this topic came out at the right time :D

Rustla
20-02-03, 09:44 PM
thanks for the info lino28, now that ive thought it over a bit i will tell all on what i planning, ,

i dont know how the whole lifestyle of PWC is but i thought instead of a trailer that for people with a ski could have somethign that keeps the craft in the back or tray of a ute, i have drawn up a few dodgy diagrams but il scan them in later for ideas i was thiinking about, anyone think this is a good idea or has it been done before?

LINO28
21-02-03, 10:30 AM
heheh, the specs i gave you were for a Yamaha Waveblaster, they are like pee wee 50's compared to GP1200's.

over in the states a lot of people put them into tray backs.
Stand up skis will go in as they are pretty small too!. you might want to get the measurements of the GP's and larger Polaris and Sea Doo's.

Also how are you going to get the ski into the water??
could have extendable rollers or something.

its a good idea for people who ride at the beach too.

i think its been done though, but if you can do it cheap and good, might be good

Rustla
21-02-03, 03:10 PM
was gonna have it on rollers and have a sort of slide ladder thing extend from it

LINO28
21-02-03, 04:57 PM
yeah that sounds like the way. trailers arent really a problem for most i *think* you normally get a trailer with the ski and they are only $30 to register.

Rustla
21-02-03, 09:11 PM
ok , think ill make a prototype anyway , andd see if i can guage any inerest, plus if people already have utes i think theyd prefer it, but im in no way educted in the field to guess

LINO28
22-02-03, 09:24 AM
yeah for sure, best bet would be to ring some Jetskidealers and find out if there is any on the market and then find the prices for them. also post on ozpwc.com to see if anyone is interested or pwctoday.com

Verd1ct
23-02-03, 06:00 PM
OK. firstly the jetski in the back of the ute idea has well and truely been done! A few of the guys i ride with do it. one of them has an F-150 with a massive lift kit and it works fine. secondly, and this is in my experience, yamaha are the way to go. We have 5 ski's and another couple in the shed for spares and they are all great. We ride every sunday as well as having three race ski's for competition. These include a wave blaster and two super jets [one new one old] all fully worked. We do a fair bit of freestyle riding amoungst other things and i've held the wave blaster under water for upto 20 seconds and the thing kept running. I've never heard of having to roll ski's back up in any particular direction. The freestyle ski's have two bilge pumps in them and when you going hard they are pumping all the time. hehe and just to stir everyone up... I cant remember the last time we went out for a ski and didnt have to tow a sea poo back to shore. BTW had an ORSM ski this morning with a very vertical 10 foot swell.

FatBoy
23-02-03, 11:48 PM
After running amok on the beach jumping waves and getting creamed, as well as cruising the Broadwater on OVB's GP1200 i know what i'll be getting... :)

Great ski, heaps of fun, and they rip !! Now i've just got to learn to make sure i hit the waves BEFORE they break, and nose first !!
I got smashed about 3 or 4 times.... :D

MR33
24-02-03, 12:06 AM
if anyones intrested on a gp1200 in very good condition, im selling mine at a low price. PM me for details.

OVB471
24-02-03, 02:35 AM
Practice make perfect paully and we have to learn to both get on the ski with out falling off in the surf.

MR33 we should head out early next sunday b4 parklands.

MR33
24-02-03, 09:53 AM
thats cool with me.