Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

13's for $1300 Barina SB #2

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugle View Post
    I'll be unemployed after friday so will have a fair bit of free time and will try to finish this quick smart unless someone else gives me a job.
    That sucks.

[/

On another note. I didn't know you could buy momo brand tyres?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Yeah they're pretty good tyres, I think it was about $90 each fitted at St George tyres.
      I've been doing a bit of stuff. Worst part about Euro GM stuff is the random mix between hex and torx bolts.

Made mounts for the smaller ex 4ZC1 Denso alternator.
      Changed timing belt.
      Got flywheel machined.
      Started welding radiator and mounts then ran outta gas.
      Made a custom banjo bolt for feeding turbo oil and can screw oil pressure switch into the head of it.
      Bought a pipe bender and made oil feed hard line.
      Made hose fittings for end of fuel rail.
      Mounted fuel pressure reg.

Need to start assembling Megasquirt. Have a MS2 kit + boost control + 4x ignition coil drivers ready to go.
      Turbo is too low to gravity drain to the sump so ordered a oil pump.

Will do a pic dump at some point.
      as short as possible

Comment

Good news, I've been offered a job. More good news it starts in January so I have a holiday to concentrate on finishing this and hopefully make some good progress on the Piazza upgrade.
        as short as possible

Comment

Woo! a job. Congrats!
          Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Update?

Comment

Yeah today was the day I got the engine out. Got a VS Ecomoo to drive while this isn't working.

Nek minnit
              as short as possible

Comment

Sweet.

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

More pics

New Alternator mount

Had to adapt the Astra 5 rib pulley to the alt, with the correct offset

New water pump, seals, idlers, tensioner and belt

Clutch, some heavy duty thing I got from the UK. "Kev-tek" clutch plate.

Astra gearbox is slightly different where the rear mount attaches, has an extra mounting point between the two Barina mounting points which means the mount needs to be modified. Also had to swap in the Barinas cable clutch throwout fork, bearing and shaft. Astra has a hydraulic concentric slave setup.

as short as possible

Comment

Engine in

Found out my measurements off the car weren't quite good enough and the throttle body was too close to the strut tower to fit a hose to it, so I had to cut off the flange and move it a bit.

Welded that up and welded a throttle cable mount. The VN moo cable had the same firewall/pedal end as the Barina one so that was easy.

Test fitting slim thermo fan, radiator, intercooler and turbo. The original fan is huge and doesn't allow any room for the turbo compressor outlet.

Might keep the chopped front bumper for the track. It's a 10 min job to change it. The original bumper only needs slight trimming to fit, not this extreme.

Made an exhaust, 3 inch with a cheap varex style muffler. Still have to weld in a blocking patch at the turbo flange end, weld in O2 bung and have to change the tip for a straight pipe. For some reason the tip is 3" outer diameter but dual wall with 2.5" ID.

as short as possible

Comment

grass built stainless mandrel exhaust gets ultimate respect from me.

in retrospect, if you used the internal wastegate could you keep the main-turbo adapter thin enough to gravity oil drain?

second go at the inlet manifold is all too common when making custom parts haha.

Comment

I should've taken a photo of the makeshift hoist used for lifting the engine on to a trolley jack. Put a piece of wood across the chassis rails then a scissor jack on top of that with rope over it.

Nah i made the turbo adapter as thin as possible already. The two outlets on the manifold were too far apart to make it any closer.
                        as short as possible

Comment

This is beginning to come together. Well done.
                          Originally posted by thebluerx7
                          The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Legit the most pimp exhaust ever seen on a Barina anywhere in the world.

As usual flabbergastingly good for a backyard job. Is your new job welding space shuttles or something?
                            Originally posted by Dimi
                            80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
                            Originally posted by schnitzelburger
                            My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

That engine looks pretty tough with the engine cover and inlet manifold together.

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

There are some pretty pimp Barinas in Europe though!
                                No I just work in IT like the rest of PF :)

Going to paint the manifold and all the piping wrinkle black. Hoping it will be pretty stock looking at first glance..
                                as short as possible

Comment

Working...
                                X