Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Cheetah Mk7

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tub is back home, but I have been struggling to do much with it due to a severe lack of space. I really need to sell the FB and repair the clutch master cylinder on the XB. The master cyclinder repair would be easy if I had room to open the door - which I don't, could move it over - which I can't because of the FB, could back it out - which I can't because I have no clutch and it is parked in by a tub and two other cars.

Due to the lack of space, all I have done of late is clean out the schwarf and old rivets left over from when the tub was tidied up. I have also polished one side of the tub.

The next step is to learn how to do rivnuts so that I can easily add and remove the brackets that support the flat bottom floor and sidepods, but clash with the ground effect sidepods.

Below are some photos of the tub fitted with the original nose and wings:

Here is the nose and ground effect side pods:
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Comment

You're making more progress than me!
      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Good progress,

I use my workshop style trolley jack under the diff of the Xdub to move it around the place as it looks like you have smooth flooring there so should be ok?
        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

spend $200 on some car dollys (or whatever there called) we got the cheapie non lift up ones and there still pretty good.
          Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

The tub is now about 90% polished. Every scratch, dint and rub mark on the aluminium leaves unsightly black marks that are very hard if not impossible to polish out. Given that the tub is 28 years old, there are a lot of marks. When that is done it will be time to start polishing the nose cone and the coolant pipes that run up each side of the car. Oh the fun of it!

I am planning on getting some of the lifting car dollies, but until I sell the FB there isn't all that much point. I will probably just lift the tub over two cars to get it where I want. Normally I would just get my wife to help me, but as she is 7 months pregnant I may have to get a mate to give me a hand.

Selling the FB hasn't been smooth sailing. I have had some people who have decided not to come at the last minute which has left me in the lurch. I have even had one person who arranged to come last Sunday, completely deny speaking to me at all, even though his phone number was the same as the one he gave me and in my phone records and his name was the same.

Comment

Having a yack on the weekend about the old formula 3 race at Amaroo Park where all 3 of the Cheetahs were out within a couple of laps after one of Sheady's suppliers got a bit carried away lightening flywheels - 2mm thick in the mounting area! - not sure how accurate it was, but he mentioned Brian was not well, possibly a stroke. Heard anything to that effect?

Hard to tell from the access holes, is there a collapsible steering column in there?

Comment

Brian Sampson was doing the engines back then, so I wonder if it was one of his suppliers? The Cheetahs absolutely dominated Formula 3 back then. Just look at Shead's race record. According to one of the articles I have, Shead competed in 293 events, from which he achieved 112 wins, 228 podium places, 85 fastest laps and 30 lap records.

Brian looked fine when I saw him a month ago and I recieved an email from him two weeks, so I assume that all is still well.

The height of the steering column is adjustable, but it isn't collapsible.

Comment

Sounds like a Mark Twain moment from this end.

Adjustment via spacers or something more complicated? Doesn't appear you have to contend with a 4ft spear aimed at your chest at any rate.

Comment

There are just three levels of holes that the steering column can bolt to. The length of the steering column is also adjustable.

Comment

Well, I have sold the FB, purchased some Gojacks, moved the Hardtop, and moved the tub alongside the rear half of the Cheetah. I have also fitted the front suspension and done a dummy assembly of the nose and sidepods. Seeing a bit of progress is actually giving me some new enthusiasm for the project.

Comment

That looks better- tripping over piles of stuff is a miserable way to play with cars..

Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by EfiOz View Post
                          I can't for the life of me remember. That pic was taken at Calder Park circa 1995 as part of it's shake down prior to being purchased. Actually must have been 1994 because it was red when it was ran in 1995.

WTF alt-print BS?
                          Only just noticed this!

looks like the ransberg cheetah that kevin lewis was running a couple years ago - brick red colour. Last check it was still here in newcastle.

The last time I saw it run was probably a good 3 years ago now, did something like snap the timing belt off the start line, and kevin was running in the CRD after that... and he droive edward gavin's mk8 a couple times after kevin finished rebuilding it - that was around the last time I was out at an F2 round tho - early 07. :(
                          '71 Honda Dax CT70
                          '74 MR50
                          '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
                          '85 KX125
                          '91 RS125R Honda
                          '96 RGV
                          '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
                          '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
                          '01 XR50
                          '02 KX250
                          '02 VTR1000 SP2
                          '05 KLX 110

Comment

Geez looking at this thread reminds me that I haven't even touched my Cheetah since the last post and that was five months ago. Any coincidence that my daughter is about 5 months old?

Comment

yeah slight coincidence!!
                              car does look good, so does XB! first time Ive seen the thread!

Whats the old girl in one of those photos, where the bike is leaning agaisnt it?
                              www.unigroup.com.au

Originally posted by niSSSan
                              works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

Comment

Originally posted by evil_weevil View Post
                                yeah slight coincidence!!
                                car does look good, so does XB! first time Ive seen the thread!

Whats the old girl in one of those photos, where the bike is leaning agaisnt it?
                                This is the 'old girl'. It was my Grandfather's FB. Earlier this year I sold it sight unseen to someone in Western Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                X