Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Charade V6 budget hillclimber

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Death Monkey View Post
    Rwd has been done before lol.
    Similar but not the same, thats a big heavy 3VZ 3.0 V6, Kneelo is using a smaller and much lighter 1MZ 3.0 V6.

Comment

Slowly getting stuff done... Body is welded together and primed. Probably used too much steel doing this but at least I'm confident its solid. The suspension is stupidly high with the camry struts at full extension but it looks like it will have to butcher the guards to get it to reasonable height even with new coilovers.

Bought some cheap 17x7.5 wheels and pretend fitted them... looking pretty sweet I reckon. Is there any requirement for me to run flares to cover the wheels where they stick out or can I just cut the guard out to make them fit? The long term the plan is to replace some of the panels with fiberglass and include flares in this when when I start thinking about aero, but thats probably a way down the track.

I have also been thinking about what do strip from the car.. what are thoughts on the need for heater/demister, wipers, indicators and head lights? Probably good to keep?

Click image for larger version

Name:	04_11_2012 289.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	6577113

Name:	04_11_2012 293.JPG
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	6577114

Name:	04_11_2012 375.JPG
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	6577115

Name:	05_11_2012 011.JPG
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	6577116

Name:	05_11_2012 014.JPG
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	6577117

Name:	05_11_2012 016.JPG
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	6577118

Comment

I'd be going 13"s for a hillclimber - shortens the gearing up a bit...
        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

I don't really have much useful to add other than to say I approve and or endorse this project and I think it would tough as fuck with some flared guards on it.

Like this

Or like this!

The other type being the really basic flat type flares that serve not purpose other than to cover the wheels. I think they more or less are just a flat sheet of metal or fibreglass which follows the contour of the wheel arch and stick straight out. It can look tough or ugly as sin.
          - Gary

97 Mitsubishi Lancer Coupe 1.8 (cheap and cheerful motoring)
          16 Honda Grom (MSX125) Snail racing would be faster

Comment

Subscribed. This appeals to my inner idiot.

Well done so far, keep at it.
            Originally posted by Dimi
            80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
            Originally posted by schnitzelburger
            My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Comment

I have nothing to add except this concept is cool as fuck. Id say your wheels issue would sort itself out with smaller diameter wheels
              '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
              '09 VE SS

Originally posted by Scrad
              You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Comment

Originally posted by Crais ? View Post
                I have nothing to add except this concept is cool as fuck. Id say your wheels issue would sort itself out with smaller diameter wheels
                Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                I'd be going 13"s for a hillclimber - shortens the gearing up a bit...
                Both good reasons to go for smaller wheels... but then it wouldnt be very pimp. I would like to eventually run 17x9's and 255 rubber. I reckon charades with big rubber are fucking cool.

Moding the arches isnt so much of a problem just something else on the list... must have gone though at least 50 cut off discs so whats a few more.

Comment

id go 15x8f and 10's on the rear (check rubber availablity) 13's arent that common for any type of tyre anymore.

I had doubts when you started, but it looks like you are serious about this project, good luck! :)
                  Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

looking awesome dude!
                    Originally posted by 50RTD
                    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Originally posted by da9jeff View Post
                      id go 15x8f and 10's on the rear (check rubber availablity) 13's arent that common for any type of tyre anymore.

I had doubts when you started, but it looks like you are serious about this project, good luck! :)
                      Ive consulted the ebay and gumtree oracles and found some pretty good looking 15x8's with the right sort of offset and a 5x114.3 pattern but the selection is pretty thin... Heaps of negative offset dragways and centerlines if i wanted that old school look though! I think I would have to change the stud pattern to open up a reasonable number of options but even then there doesn't seem a huge selection compared to larger diameters.

I'm leaning toward sticking with the 17's but now youve planted the seed of doubt.. I might just plod on with everything and leave this decision until everything else is sorted if I can.

Comment

Awesome project, cant wait to see it running :)

Comment

I was reading your brake thread and did a double take when I read V6 Charade! Awesome.

Comment

I hope to have it finished enough to run mid next year if I get enough shed time... haven't been able to do much recently so have to console myself by bunking off at work planning and buying parts.

This is the brake thread if anyone has wisdom to impart.
                            http://performanceforums.com/forums/...#post841609161

Its based on the biggest I think I can fit with the current 17" wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Momus View Post
                              Summit online are as convenient as anyone for rod ends.

For a simple wishbone layout and geometry have a look at MX5's or C5 Corvette for ideas.
                              I'm curious as to how feasible it is to just swap in twin A suspension from another car? I would think that it's not a simple as it sounds and you might be left chasing roll centres for some time?
                              http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/...lenge-accepted

Comment

If you kept standard geometry, say by mounting the whole assembly up, would the donor car's roll centres etc carry over? Or would it still have to be re-engineered?

Comment

Working...
                                X