Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Drag Starion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't these come factory turbocharged?
    In contrast there are many more 1st generation RX7s.
    It's a shame, it seems Mitsubishi is an unpopular brand in Australia (except I guess lately with Evos)
    I've even considered one of these as a project myself but when I checked to memory I only found 2 for sale and both were expensive (relatively speaking)

Comment

Originally posted by 1320ft View Post
      Fark, I had forgotten about that photo.

Thanks mate

Muttaburra hit the nail on the head, there was only approx 7000 of these sold in Aus, so parts are hard to come by & dont share alot with the cordia & sigma. Funny thing is, they were huge in the states and there are widebody's everywhere.

Yep, number 7, going by the registry we run on austarion, the only one left with a lower number, is the one that mitsubishi australia have (001). Sad part is everyone now and again one pops up for sale at a ridiculous price, because someone thinks it's something, it's not.

Didn't think there was that many. Makes the 350 odd vr4's they bought in look really rare. There is a JA starion on car sales for 50k. He definitely is dreaming
      3 broken mitsubishi's (fuck im stupid)
      camry (daily)
      200 series cruiser (wifeys)

Comment

Aaron...7,000 Aus Starions??? Not a chance in hell. I have forgotten the exact number, but more like 1,400-odd all up: Approx 1150 JA's, 210 JBs, and 54 JD's were sold new here.
        Around 20 JDM widebodies and probably the same JDM narrowbodies.
        Widebody GTS-tt

Comment

Sweet as!
          www.prerunner.com.au
          - Facebook
          - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by RX22NV View Post
            I Like this very much. Top effort Aaron.
            Thanks Daniel, now get yours back out.

Originally posted by 2rismo View Post
            Fucking horrible shitbox. Burn it.
            That just makes it a twin for a certain other red shitbox.

Originally posted by Kanenas View Post
            Didn't these come factory turbocharged?
            In contrast there are many more 1st generation RX7s.
            Yeah, they came factory with a 2ltr SOHC TBI Turbo 4G63, 5 speed, IRS etc etc. When you are out cruising, you regularly get "nice rx-7, nice cordia, nice supra, what is it?"

Originally posted by muttaburra View Post
            There is a JA starion on car sales for 50k. He definitely is dreaming
            Yeah, thats a running joke. We think his wife has told him to get rid of it & he doesn't want to.

Originally posted by NXTIME View Post
            Aaron...7,000 Aus Starions??? Not a chance in hell. I have forgotten the exact number, but more like 1,400-odd all up: Approx 1150 JA's, 210 JBs, and 54 JD's were sold new here.
            Around 20 JDM widebodies and probably the same JDM narrowbodies.
            Charlie, there is more than what you guys realise. I was talking to a friend of mine, who worked in management for Mitsu when they released the staz, sigma turbo etc. I quizzed him and he said closer to 7000 were bought into the country.

Comment

Is there a reason why Mitsubishi import so few cars?
              I remember with the Evo 8 only 100 were originally brought in.
              The Evo 6 also was very limited (though the $80K price tag probably had a bit to do with it).
              But it seems even the older ones came in limited numbers. Was it low demand or low supply?
              Anyone know specs on the GSR Lancer, VR4 Galant etc?

Comment

Why do they import so few of the few interesting cars they make? Mitsubishi Japan (MMC) is just plain wierd and they are by far the most conservative of the Japanese car makers.

Case in point - the first Outlander.

It was the last compact SUV into the segment, it was the heaviest and had the least power. That's as dumb as you can get.

You'll probably notice that MMAL are doing nothing with the current EVO. As a car it kills the WRX, but the sales are running at probably 10:1 in favour of the Subaru as there is no money to run a big campaign.

Deciding to bring in a big load of performance cars takes pre-planning and cash, and MMC are so conservative that they will never take a chance - on practically anything. As an overall strategy it's immensely stupid.

Mitsubishis market share is continuing to shrink, so they have zero cash and hence push all new programs back, delay launches and reduce R&D. Hence, due to an aging product range and lack of money to run aggressive marketing campaigns their market share continues to shrink, so they have zero cash and hence..............and on and on it goes.

It's just so fucking stupid as the other arms of the mistubishi empire are powerhouses of Japanese industry and business.

From memory the Starions were very successful in one of the touring car classes here. Can't remember the exact details, but I believe that some rules were changed in the class they dominating to bring them back to the pack.

They're like a cordia - but not fucking shit like cordias.
                Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

Comment

It is a shame, as it seems a manufacturer of such great potential, especially once you start seeing what cars they have or had on offer.
                  Even the Cordia, the JDM one had a 4G63 turbo and AWD if I am not mistaken, which certainly for it's day must have been quite something.

Comment

Looks like a nice ride.

Eta until track skids?

Sydney Dents
                    Paintless Dent Removal
                    https://www.facebook.com/sydneydents/
                    https://www.instagram.com/sydneydents/

Comment

Fact of the matter is, Starions looked dated the moment they rolled off of the showroom floor, they were quite expensive in their day for the performance (not as exxy as the Porsche 924 Turbo tho at the time!) and they were blown away in a straight line by the significantly cheaper Cordia Turbo (which sold like hot cakes). Even Wheels Magazine recalls during its 1985 Heavyweight Sports Car Performance Comparison between Alfa Romeo's V6 GTV, Toyota's Supra, Mazda's RX7 and Mitsubishi's Starion, they were all out gunned by the Cordia Turbo which was originally only brought along to the performance test comparison to carry the magazines camera crew. However, the Starion was a much better car under the skin, it was built for racing whereas the Cordia was much more humble in design.

Sales for the Starion and Cordia took a serious nose dive when they were forced to use lower octane unleaded fuel and they lost their performance edge. Mitsubishi lost its profitable little niche and the Starion and Cordia were axed in 1987 and 1988.

The Starion shook up the Group A category of the Australian Touring Car Championship - the Starion (tuned to generate over 350kW on ultra high octane fuel) set a number of lap records and enjoyed quite a few wins. Overseas, it also enjoyed great success on tarmac circuits as well as in the rough-and-tough world of rally.

Japanese market versions of the Starion were even more potent, fitted with a 4G63B 'Dash' turbo engine with 3-valves per cylinder and was listed at 150kW at 6000 rpm and 275Nm at 3600 rpm - a 25kW and 30Nm upper hand over the Australian versions.Turbo Cordias were used as highway patrol cars in certain areas of Australia; some of these were reputedly Japanese-spec vehicles with the 3-valve per cylinder intercooled Dash engine, which was good for 150kW and mid-14-second quarter miles. Only in NZ did the Cordia come in AWD but it was de-tuned and the drive line was weak as piss.

Got to admit tho, the wide body Starions released in the US look badass!
                      Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
                      Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
                      Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Comment

Originally posted by 1320ft View Post

Charlie, there is more than what you guys realise. I was talking to a friend of mine, who worked in management for Mitsu when they released the staz, sigma turbo etc. I quizzed him and he said closer to 7000 were bought into the country.
                        If that is the case, then why can't anyone find a VIN higher than #1346 (JA); #219 (JB); and #51 (JD). These are from the Australian Starion Registry that I have amassed for many, many years.

Approx 1600 were sold here, so if they did bring in 7,000, where did they all go?
                        Widebody GTS-tt

Comment

Race Spec, nice summarization

There widebodies have been around two dozen widebody versions imported from the JDM and a couple from the USA. I have personally imported 5 over the years. Still have one that I drive every now and then. Can also attest to the puzzled looks from onlookers when they try to work out what it is. Had mine out today and had a cople of guys taking pics and asking questions.

Can't wait for Aaron to represent at the drag strip with his JA. I have no doubt that it will run the numbers he wants.
                          Widebody GTS-tt

Comment

There's a Starion that has been parked on the nature strip near me for several years. I've even asked the owner if he's willing to sell, a firm no. I like them. An 8A80 in there would be fun, IF you can find one.

Comment

Looking good mate, I just picked up a torqueflite to sit behind my 63. They are far and few between now days.
                              97 Express van 4G63 compound Turbo Tdo5/HX40 @ 34.7234psi.

Gone--
                              93 GSR 1.8L 406whp 11.6@126mph

Comment

How many cordia's are left. I'm sure most of them have rusted away by now. I remember looking at one about 1993 and it was a '88 model and it had rust.
                                3 broken mitsubishi's (fuck im stupid)
                                camry (daily)
                                200 series cruiser (wifeys)

Comment

Working...
                                X