Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Bitsa cheap as Open wheeler

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question, I've never had any issues on the kart track out at Pt.Gawler. I barely get to run for 20 minutes though, as my back and arms start to ache...

Lower speeds on the kart track but corners closer together, never had any issue, not even a whiff of an issue...

I'd also suggest that the brake forces are more evenly balanced on a rear/mid engined car such as ours so there is less concentration of stress to the front brakes.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Thanks Roy, i may indeed go back to your uprights as mx5 upright owner screwing me around a bit. On the search again for Echo/yaris cv shafts and diff/box.

Comment

Just found deal on box and cv shafts, $150. Will collect next week.

Comment

With sub-optimal (ie mainly guess work)front and rear wings and diffuser, what are peoples thoughts on minimum ride height? Will have about 2 rake. Will have a 3 ( under engine) and 7 (either side of engine) diffuser from roll bar back.

Comment

A FF is around 40mm ride height at front, a stohr with a little bit of underbody aero is around 25....somewhere in that range probably?

Comment

Yep, all very good and handy on the racetrack.

But the rest of the hassle that comes with it will drive you nuts....

just saying

Comment

Learned - though not really mastered- the art of bronze welding/braze welding ( which ever one you feel is correct terminology) using Nickel bonze with Oxy Lpg. Too easy. Fabbed up front engine mounts, ugly but strong. Sacrificed one with a hammer in the vice, metal bent, joint intact-happy days.

Problem with this beautiful modern chassis is, because it can't be made to look anything like my dream 60's era F1 car, or anything 'classic' really, it screams for aero and this adds a level of complexity that does my little head in. Sure i could just build it quick and get it on the track and improve on it later, but with diffusers needing to be designed into the rear from the start, i haven't got that luxury. I actually only have 18 to 30 months to finish this car. An old Formula ford chassis would have been nice.

Comment

Ha Ha! great that you have taught yourself to weld, it is such a usefull skill. You can do anything you want to.

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen one, but that looks like a Jacer Formula Vee chassis to me. If I'm right, getting body work for the front should be easy.

As or the aero, my completely uninformed opinion is have a look at the underside of a BT49/Lotus 79/FW07 and have a bash at that - and don't worry too much since the efficiency of your ground effects design probably isn't going to determine if the car is fun to drive or not.

Good luck with this, and keep updating. I've really been enjoying Roy's thread.

Comment

Thanks benchmarker, already asked Vee boys and one of the Cutts brothers (Jacer designers) had no idea what it was either.
                      Yeah thought about true ground effects but think you can't run anywhere. Simple diffuser will have to do.

Comment

Spent a few days mocking up different rear sub frames trying to accommodate a rear diffuser, 306mm diameter rear sprocket, a very tall engine with no lower front attachment points to use engine as stressed member, top bulkhead attachment points 60mm narrower on each side than bottom, and trying to triangulate five sides without looking like the Maserati birdcage frame and weighing a ton.

Finally got the rear upright bearing cups welded in ($100).
                        Attached Files

Comment

A little indulgence, the Maserati Tipo 61 (Birdcage Maserati) is a thing of beauty.

Comment

My old Formula Vee had a body that supposedly had been flopped off a Brabham BT 19 or similar. The NSW Historic FV club has the moulds and will rent them out for a modest fee. I will dig out a photo later.

Comment

Was in contact with the historic vee boys. Was looking at a Standfast body, supposedly a BT 21 body, but maybe was the 19. Love to see a photo. If this build doesn't destroy me, definitely my next build will be in that style.

Comment

Could well be a BT 21...for some reason I had 19 in mind. Somebody told me they sectioned about 3 in out of the body to get to the FV size.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X