Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

rally car: brap edition

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
    oh.. smee's clean rally car club now has another member, taking total membership to 2 :)
    You forget Peter Skinner's RX3? Thing was spotless.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
      You forget Peter Skinner's RX3? Thing was spotless.
      must have been before my time!

seriously though, you can eat off the underside of smee's rally cars... the gemini was mint when I got it... only took about 10 minutes for me to ruin it :p

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
      2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

dirt track was a lot longer than i expected, was seriously good.
        next pf day out there?
        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

update: car still fun. dirt track still fun.

car has a coolant leak from somewhere in the back of the engine bay. went away for a week (happened to be when i got it into mazcare to look at it), couldn't diagnose anything then- ran it for 20 min, no coolant coming out. pressure tester on it for 24hours, nothing.
          of course this morning, after driving it around, yep small strip of coolant puddling on the ground.. going to get under there this weekend.

Comment

Intake manifold crossover O-rings can go. In a dirt rally car i imagine stripping any of the throttle body water stuff would be sensible. Otherwise heater hoses/block offs.

Comment

this is pretty fucken cool and those events look like a blast
              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
                Intake manifold crossover O-rings can go. In a dirt rally car i imagine stripping any of the throttle body water stuff would be sensible. Otherwise heater hoses/block offs.
                was talking with some people and yeah could be that they were perished from sitting too long and leaked, maybe have swollen up with use hence why for a week or so it was fine?
                Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                this is pretty fucken cool and those events look like a blast
                cheap as too- $130 for a day.

Comment

what are the dirt track events officially called motorkhana? gymkhana? rally sprint?
                  www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                    must have been before my time!

seriously though, you can eat off the underside of smee's rally cars... the gemini was mint when I got it... only took about 10 minutes for me to ruin it :p
                    Thank you kind sir.

Had a new scrutineer look at my Familia after I had been using it for 8 or 9 years, ask was it my first event.

Makes it so much easier to work on, and you don't get covered in crap when you remove parts.

Neil Trama thanked me for presenting a clean engine when I dropped it off. I hadn't really touched it.
                    Said it was cleaner than some circuit cars.
                    Sturgeon's Revelation (sometimes referred to as his second law): Ninety percent of everything is CRAP

Comment

This track is a lot of fun:)
                      Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                        pic of it in former glory
                        Wow, small world. The guy who built and rallied it in this guise was an old friend of mine, a groomsman at my wedding as well. Sadly taken by a brain tumour at too young an age. I hear the guy who took you for a test drive was Ed Mulligan. I've seen him in action. "Spirited" is one word LOL.......

Comment

Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post
                          was talking with some people and yeah could be that they were perished from sitting too long and leaked, maybe have swollen up with use hence why for a week or so it was fine?

cheap as too- $130 for a day.
                          I think i used 20 or 22mm welsch plugs. Need to redo turbo cooling water if you block them on a turbo motor.

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?t=181660

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                            what are the dirt track events officially called motorkhana? gymkhana? rally sprint?
                            Not sure - itís a dirt race track next to QR, skid control runs practice days out there. Casual setup, very easy to enter.
                            Originally posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
                            This track is a lot of fun:)
                            Yes- keen for pf day there haha
                            Originally posted by bahaimus View Post
                            Wow, small world. The guy who built and rallied it in this guise was an old friend of mine, a groomsman at my wedding as well. Sadly taken by a brain tumour at too young an age. I hear the guy who took you for a test drive was Ed Mulligan. I've seen him in action. "Spirited" is one word LOL.......
                            Haha yep Ed is quick.. his v8 Opel manta is awesome!
                            I have taken the steering wheel off to give to your mateís Mum- heard the story, pretty sad. Way too young :( She is keeping the steering wheel as a memento.
                            Originally posted by Slides View Post
                            I think i used 20 or 22mm welsch plugs. Need to redo turbo cooling water if you block them on a turbo motor.

http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?t=181660
                            Cheers. Have checked again and this time there is actually some coolant on the top of the intake manifold where it joins the block. Will get stuck into it next week.

Comment

had to remove all of this and the huge skid plate

just to put these in

now comes the issue, need some guidance from rotor people because nothing can be straight forward;
                              the front intake coolant channel is blanked on the intake side but not the housing side, and this is where the leak was from, presumably from perished O ring.

where it goes into the block, is nice and recessed for an O ring.

the one at the back (coolant channel into intake manifold is open, i presume for turbo), has no recess at all for an O ring. it just sits on surface like a gasket should. no way will it seal properly.
                              hard to see in this pic because i didn't think to take a photo before putting gasket goo on there. which i hope will hold, as i don't know what else to do apart from grinding out a recess into the housing.

will that be enough? is there any reason for it not to have the recess?

Comment

It depends on the amount of crush on the o-ring and how well prepared the sealing surfaces are. If they are clean and flat and the o-ring crushes down it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X