Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by takai View Post
    From the cross correlation on that site it doesnt look like E30s used the same eccentric washer. That could be for a number of reasons, but doesnt look good for the size of the weld on backing plates
    For a couple of bucks, buy both?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
      For a couple of bucks, buy both?
      Nah. The question was whether the brackets for an E30 camber kit would be usable with the longer E39 bolts. Years ago I made my own anyway, so itís a moot point for me.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Great to see the amount of effort going in to this. Did the stripping reveal anymore women's undergarments?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
        Torque sells tow cars.
        Horsepower wins horse races.

Comment

Fortunately none have appeared yet, but I have a ways to go!
          Norbie!

Comment

Comment

Just got an update from the engine builder, apparently there was some delay with getting the keyway fixed on the crank, but they estimate it should be all done and ready for pickup by the end of next week.

That's OK, I have plenty to keep me occupied at the moment. My goal for the week is to get the dash completely out so I can get a look at the rust from the other side. It will probably need to come out for welding etc anyway, so might as well get it done now.
              Norbie!

Comment

Right, so the dash is mostly out, still struggling with some of the HVAC stuff though:

Starting to get worried about getting all of this back together eventually. The wiring under there is an absolute nightmare, there's the remains of some poorly installed mobiliser, various fuckery with the stereo wiring, some of my own fuckery where I joined the Haltech harness to everything else, and the original harness was pretty fucked to begin with - why are there ten thousand 50-pin connectors under the dash?? Ah well that's a problem for future me. Maybe 10-20 years in the future going by current progress.

Meanwhile I made another fun discovery. I had to pull the A pillar trims off to get the dash out, and wondered why they felt "crunchy". Well it turns out they're made out of a bare steel plate with foam padding and vinyl over the top. The bit of rust around the windscreen had allowed moisture to get in and the padding in the trims had soaked it up and probably stayed wet indefinitely, so of course the unpainted steel plate rusted away to pretty much nothing. All of this happened invisibly, there was no sign of this happening before it came off. Sigh, old cars...

The A pillar behind it looks mostly OK, so that's a plus. Not sure what to do about it, I assume getting a replacement trim will be basically impossible. Maybe I can get one 3D printed?? Or I could just leave the A pillars undressed, save some weight. :)
                Norbie!

Comment

Any similar toyotas with the same design?

Comment

yup ra60/5 should fit

Comment

Yes apparently the Celica ones are all plastic which sounds like a better design. But again, finding one in reasonable condition probably won't be easy unless I want to buy a whole car. Which I don't.
                      Norbie!

Comment

RA60 pillars trims fit, and they are plastic. You can easily retrim them in vinyl to match the MA61 stuff.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget
                        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Got another call from the engine shop, they don't want to balance the bottom end because the dual mass flywheel is just about had it. I was planning to go single mass anyway so decided to go looking for anything I could get my hands on rapidly. Someone from one of my Facebook groups came through for me (Ryley are you on here??) and I now have a used Extreme clutch + flywheel setup on the way. The clutch will probably need upgrading but it's a good start and was a great price. Once the shop have the flywheel they reckon it should come together quickly, everything else is ready to go after the balancing is done. Fingers crossed they don't discover anything else!
                          Norbie!

Comment

hello sir yes pls enjoy your clutch. I daresay with your power you'll need something with a bit more force... but at least you don't need another SMF :P
                            '84 Supra 7MGTE
                            '86 Supra 2JZGE track
                            '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
                            '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

Comment

Aha, don't know how I didn't spot your user name. Thanks again for getting that sorted so quickly, it will be a massive help. Gotta keep this project moving if I ever want to finish!

Do you happen to know the specs of the clutch? Does it have a power rating or whatever?
                              Norbie!

Comment

Oh, i didnt realise that was Ryley either!
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                                X