Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Many of you are already familiar with this car but since everyone else is doing it I might as well start my own "attention whore" thread.

I bought my Supra in 1999 with the stock 5M-E (2.8L SOHC) piece of crap and 4-speed auto. It was slower than Oxy after a sixpack of beer so I got started with engine conversions almost right away. After dabbling with a couple of DOHC M-series engines I decided to get serious and bought an Aristo 2JZ-GTE front cut in 2002. Here's what it looked like just after installation:

Since then I've been pretty busy with lots of other upgrades, it never ends! Here's the current list of mods as far as I can recall:

- 2JZ-GTE
    - JustJap cheapie FMIC (600x300x76)
    - Custom dual dump pipe, 3" exhaust system
    - Turbosmart bleed valve, electronic fuel cut defender --> 18psi boost
    - Rebuilt radiator with extra core

- Heavy-duty pressure plate, 5-puck sprung ceramic clutch plate
    - W58 5-speed transmission
    - Shortened Hilux 2-piece tailshaft
    - TrueTrac helical LSD, 3.58:1 gears

- Modified MX83 Cressida front struts with coilovers and camber plates
    - Stock rear suspension with Kings low springs
    - Rear hubs replaced with MS123 Crown hubs (5-stud)
    - Koni sport adjustable front shocks, Bilstein rear shocks
    - Custom front and rear strut braces
    - Front brakes: BA Falcon 298x28 rotors, R33 Skyline 4-piston calipers, EBC Greenstuff pads
    - Rear brakes: stock ventilated discs (re-drilled to 5-stud) and single-piston calipers, EBC pads
    - Wheels: 17x8 fronts with 235/45 tyres, 17x9 rears with 255/40 tyres

On the to-do list:
    - Adjustable rear camber (currently running -4 degrees :O )
    - Rear coilovers
    - GT35R + Haltech E8
    - Getrag 6-speed transmission (in progress)

The complete story is here:
    http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/
    Norbie!

2jz NO SH1T!

Looks great Norbie, will be fantastic with the V160.

Comment

always liked reading about your car Norbie.
      Originally posted by Stix Z
      i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
      Originally posted by Jim
      Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

my fave car on pf!

the work thats gone into this thing is fucking nuts

be sure to check out norbies webpage

Comment

ah yes , tis a strange beast the norbie supra.
          apart from parked its not often seen outside its natural habitat (any angle greater than 45 degrees to the intended direction of travel) :)
          seriously though , fucking insane car , had some good fights with it a few years back.
          will wipe the floor with about 99.99 percent of shit on the road.
          https://www.facebook.com/Petes-Weldi...7343264035404/

Comment

Originally posted by Rz
            apart from parked its not often seen outside its natural habitat (any angle greater than 45 degrees to the intended direction of travel)
            I've even seen him PARKING in one of those 45-degree-to-kerb zones!
            :D

But yeah, an interesting evolution, and stupid-fast really. This gearbox has got to be a Great Thing, the succession of W58's have reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa's hooked-up the cupcake to give Bart a shock every time he touches it ... :p
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

LOL

What can I say, Datto-style semi trailing arm IRS plus too-jay-zee equals sideways all the damn time. I can't help it!

I'm really looking forward to driving the car with the Getrag installed, I'll finally be able to give it arseholes without worrying about the gearbox shattering into hundreds of expensive little pieces. As for the rest of the drivetrain, well....
              Norbie!

Comment

Norbie, were you on a cruise, possibly a PF cruise, about 4 or 5 years ago, which went out the back of Dayboro then up through Peachester? If memory serves me correctly, you had an old grey MA61 had cooling issues? :D

The grey one with the 2JZ sounded awesome

PS, that thing looks just mean.

Comment

PF cruise about 4 or 5 years ago, I almost certainly would have been there... I can't tell you which of my three MA61's I was driving at the time though.

I do recall having nasty cooling problems in the black skid car, although it was usually so dirty it looked grey. :rotflol:

Norbie!

Comment

Most seriously ridiculous Supra ever.
                    A++++++. Will go shotgun again.

Hey the picture of Mike Hunt's Car Yard seems to have disappeared from your website.
                    Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                    Originally posted by ALLMTR
                    Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Originally posted by gianttomato
                      Hey the picture of Mike Hunt's Car Yard seems to have disappeared from your website.
                      O RLY? :D
                      Norbie!

Comment

LOL! He lives up to his name - $4000 for an auto 60 series Celica!
                        Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
                        Originally posted by ALLMTR
                        Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Favourite car posted so far :)
                          I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Yeh, retro Soupra, so 80's yet still likeable, A+ for effort and perseverance :)
                            Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
                            ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
                            ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
                            ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Good to see you are still playing with the thing Norbie - I miss mine :( Have not frequented this forum in many a while- taking some time out, counting down the days till number two arrives (two more sleeps) - cars are on the backburner for a while longer yet for me ;)
                              CU in the forest ... sideways!
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X