Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thanks for all the really usefull information which has helped me with my problem :P Yes I was being sarcastic.

Anyway! I have tested the MSD and the coil and both are fine. There is spark, no worries. The problem appears to be that the MSD has 2 feeds, 1 dedicated 12v battery feed (big thick cable) and a 12v accessories feed which turns it on and off. With the key in the ignition set to 'on' i have 12v on both wires. When you crank the engine over the 12v accessories seems to dissapear, hence the MSD 6al turns off...

I jumpered the 12v accessories feed to the MSD directly from the battery and the big girl fired straight up without a hassle. SO for some reason when my key is cranking the engine over, my 12v ignition feed is dissapearing. Weird.

Any "Constructive" thoughts on this??

Comment

A lot of older cars cut the igniton feed when they are cranking over.

The way to overcome this is to run a wire off the starter circuit usually with a large diode inline to the msd box ignition feed wiring. That way you have power on ignition and cranking so the box doesnt get upset.

Ive also seen people use relays to do this but that brings in more wiring and complications but i find that but diodes work just as well.

This catches a lot go guys who put late model injected motors into older cars.
      Originally posted by Einstein
      The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Mate very interesting information there. I was thinking it might have been cutting ignition feed on cranking, but then was thinking why the hell would that happen? I have a brand new wiring loom in it, but of course an original ignition barrel....
        I thought of running 12v from the starter relay as well, but then I thought that the starter relay would get the continuous 12v ignition feed too and the starter would be on all the time (bad obviously)...

Another solution I thought of was to install a switch and push button start. That way I can just have the key for security (somehow...) and have a flick switch for ignition and a push button for the starter or similar. Might be a win?

Comment

It was to bypass the ballast resistor and give the coil full voltage on cranking. Heaps of ways to get around it, I joined the cranking and ign on wires with a diode to stop the voltage flowing back to the starter solenoid.

Comment

Makes sense mate, thanks heaps for the heads up! I'll grab a diode from Jaycar and hook her up ;)

Comment

Get one that can handle some current, not the small little guys that are used circuit boards.
              Originally posted by Einstein
              The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Assume Jaycar would have something like that??
                Be neater than a push button and some switches I guess :)

Comment

Yeah, just ask the nerds behind the counter for a 12 volt diode and explain away if needed. They are generally pretty good at that stuff.

Comment

Assume Jaycar would have something like that??
                    Be neater than a push button and some switches I guess :)

Comment

Yeah, just ask the nerds behind the counter for a 12 volt diode and explain away if needed. They are generally pretty good at that stuff.

Comment

Glitch in the matrix?
                        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Glitch in the matrix?

Comment

Yeah, just ask the nerds behind the counter for a matrix glitch fixer and explain away if needed. They are generally pretty good at that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 68RNR View Post
                              ...time to do something about the body work and the front suspension. Car was handling something like a bastard child of a cement truck and a shopping trolley.
                              Originally posted by 68RNR View Post
                              pissing like a cow on a flat rock... caved in like a wuss and gave it a paint job...
                              hah. and fucking. jesus. nice car.

have just started looking into the world of chargers, challengers, 'cudas, gtx's and roadrunners. those 6 pack scoops mess up the lines a bit but supercharger and big fucking big block is just so unspeakably awesome... very nice cars, another muscle car to add to the want list is just what i need...

Comment

I used to drive past a very tidy gold Satellite cruiser in Sydney, it went up for sale, disappeared for a short while then reappeared on the guys lawn with a spiel painted on the windscreen explaining that the rear bumper was next to the diff thanks to a drunk female driver and it wasn't his fault. Was a fucking nice car before then.

Comment

Working...
                                X