Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

1977 RA28 Fasthack celica project

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Tap and did all the holes again, nice and fresh.

Starting to work on some more panel alignment and just see how well she will go back together and what needs work.

My gorgeous fiancÚ getting the first dibs on sitting in it.

Fixed the inner guards up and attached a new seal, fits very nicely now.

finding the high and low spots in the drivers side panels. They were pretty good rust wise but had a few very shallow dips etc. ended up only needing about .5 to 1mm filler to get it out.

Not looking bad for first session of repair, still have a few minor shallows and high spots and the body line fades off in some places but already looking much better than before.

Comment

Few more updates and pics. Here is some pics of the inner guards for those who have been interested.

Bodyline finally starting to take shape, after about 4 attempts of building it up where it was weak.

The start of forming some pieces for rust repair at the base of the front windscreen where they often rust out.

During the week the old man did some work on the passanger front wing, fixing the rust down the bottom where our other side had also rusted. I think the results speak for themselves :)

Comment

You just keep finding rust. Have to be almost the last of it?

Looks amazing just in undercoat. Cant wait to see it painted. :)
        Mmmmmmmmm beer.:)

Originally posted by ALLMTR
        You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

haha yea Jimmyg, and to be honest its not that bad compared to many of the RA28's we looked at. Just in the common places.
          We are approaching having it all fixed now. All that really needs to be done is a few small splits and pin holes at the front, but nothing major, the spare wheel area and the bonnet.

Then the rust repair and body will be done.... then can move onto the fuel system, diff front suspension and get it back on its wheels.

Comment

At the rate your going that will be soon. :)

I take it with the half cage going in its going to see a bit of track work?

PS 1j after hp much!

Going to make it nose heavy.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Haha yeah it will be nice to move on to some assembly and fabrication.

The cage will help fill the back out nicely and lets be honest these are a pretend 4 seater, god help anyone who has to do any distance in the back seat of one of these things. So will add to some body strength, safety and yes it may see the occasional event however race cars and street cars are so far apart, the emotional attachement to this thing will be huge. So It wont go in to many events where I could seriously jepordise bending it.

As for the 1J, I ran a 1GGTE in my RA23 77 celica, it did feel more nose heavy than the 4 cylinder but it was quite manageable and ive been in a few 1J examples and its great, p.s you soon forget about any minor weight distribution issues when you have that much grunt under the right foot :D

Comment

LOL Fair enough. Sounds like your got a whole drive line to make fit then. :oh:

Ps by no way am I picking just following the build and keen to see the evil plan you have stored away in your head.:D

Comment

Haha all good :D

yeah it will run the 1JZ with single GT3076 with R154.
                  Brakes will be Hopper Stoppers front end kit with 5 stud conversion and down the back GZ20/MA70 disc brake set up on a Hilux Diff. That in itself is one mod I cannot wait for, all wheel disc brakes. The Drums on the hilux diff in my old celica were so touchy and would lock up occasionaly.

Comment

My old LC torana was the same. :knock:

Comment

got some more work done over the weekend, didn't get many photos but see attached. The passenger guard is looking much better now and just needs a tiny bit more filler and putty. But repairs came out great.

started to remove the rust in the hatch, luckily this panel is pretty good. Just the lower section with the other skin and one corner needing work.

There was some damage on the passenger guard, very hard to get too. So the old man made up a block form/Jig to be able to panel beat it and bring it back into shape.

Comment

hatch is now coming along nicely.

The new edge finally starting to take form.

Comment

just a little bit of filler to smooth over the new edge with some sealer and she is done.

Only one other small section to do on this then can strip it back and undercoat.

Comment

bit more done yesterday,

Tried some paint stripper on the hatch, got a lot of it off and was less effort for the stripper disc after.

Ran some body filler over the new edge to make it flush and seal It all up, never looks pretty like this,

now starting to take shape.

The hatch still needs some work, little more filler to take out minor imperfections and possibly some spray putty. But it is starting to look pretty good now. This is just etch primer.

I am working on the car today and Saturday, so should get a bit more done and post some more progress.

Comment

Love the bulldog clips idea. Beats the shit out of spending coin on clamps or multi grips.

Comment

Cool car! I feel your pain on the body work!! Doing an awesome job! Keep it up. These are on my list of cars I would like to own.
                                Breaking stuff once is ignorance, twice is stupidity, three times is racing

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...chev-LS1-turbo
                                http://www.performanceforums.com/for...tchback-torana
                                http://performanceforums.com/forums/...ghlight=ari300
                                http://performanceforums.com/forums/...Dog-Piston-rx4

Comment

Working...
                                X