Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Yet another PF kent buys a fancy Vee Dub

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent news!
    Originally posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Good stuff. Yeah, the paper clip will be the best test for it, always shows up oil temp problems as youíre on full rissole for so long.
      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Nice work. Always a struggle to keep on top of overheating issues on these track cars.
        2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
        2004 MX5 SE Turbo
        2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Cheers fellas,

Have been bothered by it for a while and managing it by shutting off early during sprints etc when it got hotter than I would like. But always felt there was enough cooling there to allow it to run cooler and keep lapping. Had been time poor and kind of relying on other people to deal with it. They didnít seem to be as bothered by it as I was and werenít offering solutions. So have been less time poor lately (and more cash poor) so there is time and dollar saving incentive to get on the tools myself. Actually really good just to have the time to enjoy it. Being my first fancy VW itís bit of a learning curve, but they they really are just fancy beetles so not too hard. Good to have had some head space to research it, think it through, try something and get a result. Keen to see how it goes Sunday.

Comment

reading enthusiastically and glad you made progress. such a nice car.

Comment

This makes noises that make me feel funny within my pantaloons. Wow
              Originally posted by TK
              may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Comment

Cheers bbits. Would have given it more jandal as I was leaving but it was stone cold. I do rape it but I am not a complete cunt to it :)

Comment

So, successful day at the paperclip. Wasnít full paperclip as it turned out. Just the sprint circuit. Turned out to be about a 55 sec lap. Oil temps..... wow. On full noise lap after lap I didnít see anything over 83 degrees. Fkn kicking myself for not getting on to this sooner. Hate to think what the 120 deg + temps have done to the new engine. Power is strong right through the sessions now. Definitely felt the power soften when it got hot in the past. Had a little scare losing some gears.... was thinking fuck!! There goes skids and steaks, but turned out to be just the coupling from the shifter to the box somehow finding some slip. (Vid to follow when my dial up Internet uploads)

Super relieved that itís now a car that can lap and lap til it runs out of fuel.

Comment

Great news. Damn annoying having to worry about creeping temperatures to niggle you when on track, so excellent you can now get on with it...

Comment

Well done, a bloody good time.

Civics to the left of me, mx5s to the right...here I am...

What the hell was done to them to be running 55s?
                      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Yeah,

glad its resolved. Makes me feel much better about going and beating up on it knowing its not running hot and potentially hurting it. So some incar below. The day wasn't without its challenges...because racecars.... First session out I thought I would seed myself back in the field a little so I wasnt holding people up while I found my way. Ended up being further than intended as some of the faster cars pulled out in front of the cars in front of me as the session began. I guess it makes for more interesting in car footage...although seems I belted the camera getting in the car and had it on the piss... Towards the end of the session I shift for 4th...no gear.... 3rd..yep, its there.... 5th...all good... but no 4th... This deteriorated to having nothing but 5th. There were no bangs but I was thinking the worst....no car for skids and steak... :) Managed to limp off the track and clear my head. Had a look at the shift coupler on the shift rod. Essentially a female side with a tube with a split and clamp onto a male knurled rod. Somehow the clamp had slipped. So a quick setup and tighten up and we were good to go. Might replace bolt with new and a nyloc nut. After my 3rd session I popped the boot to just check over the engine bay and there was a spray of oil. Haven't diagnosed yet but expect leaking oil sensor. Catch can was fine. Decided to call it rather than set it on fire. Cruised home. Had beers. Success.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                          Well done, a bloody good time.

Civics to the left of me, mx5s to the right...here I am...

What the hell was done to them to be running 55s?
                          Cheers Sam, now the car isn't running hot the power feels strong right through the session. Nice to not be wasting my limited brain power monitoring the temps and just focussing on driving. Re the MX5 and the Civic, I didn't spot either of those cars. I think the MX5 may have been an anomaly as he has one lap about 10 seconds faster than all his others...maybe found a shortcut :) And actually i have just looked at the times of the Civic and its the same thing.... Nothing better than a 1.04 then bam, one lap in the 55's.... weird.

Comment

What about Chun Wang Poon, what's his story? :p
                            The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Wow that thing has get up and go! Glad it was just a minor thing with the gear selection. Look forward to meeting you and seeing this in the flesh at Skids and Steaks.
                              2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                              2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                              2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                                What about Chun Wang Poon, what's his story? :p
                                Seems they got onto the glitch. Mr Poon is now on the podium lol.

Had a good look at the oil spray. Looks very much like oil sender unit. Google says they can fail and leak. It has a light dusting of rust on it so might have been in the car for a while. :) New one ordered to be skids and Steak ready. And thanks TCR, it seems a bit punchier running cooler. I wouldn't rate my car as proper fast straight line, but walking a 991 GT3 in a straight is surprising. I might be getting out of the corners a touch quicker. Look forward to catching up at S&S.

Comment

Working...
                                X