Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it's 5 years late and you have probably found out by now, but most of the steering play would be the fucked chassis rail that the steering box bolts directly to.

Valiant in their wisdom were too cheap to do a proper right hook conversion and sort out the steering box to bolt to the K frame like the left drive cars do and did the cheapest easiest fix they could to swap steering wheels over.

About 20 degrees of the 30 degree free play will be the chassis rail flexing as the steering box moves, the other 10 degrees is the shit 20:1 ratio steering box with eleventy billion turns lock to lock.

Comment

The chassis rail in this one had already been repaired at some stage so it wasn't too bad anyway. I think most of it was the fact the steering box was on its last legs itself. Though I might be after your advice on how to actually make it steer some day soon!

So the 2011 Shitbox Rally started at the Breakfast Creek Hotel around the corner from home, day one was out to Mitchell, day two to Longreach and then a series of small stops up near the gulf at Gregory Downs, Heartbreak Hotel, Katherine and finally up to Darwin.

Bear in mind we had about 170km in the car at this point, and it looked like a long way. At the start of the first day we were thinking we'd be happy just to make it through the day to Mitchell.

We thought we'd have one of the cooler old cars there, but there were heaps cooler cars with a better job done on them. Including another CM Valiant done up as the General Lee with rust that made ours look mint.

That was driven by a couple of musos and literally falling apart with rust. One of the mechanics later told me it was overheating so much he just disconnected the temp gauge so they wouldn't freak out.

Heading off from Breakfast Creek. After literally bottoming out the car leaving our shallow driveway in New Farm (I didn't realise you could wind torsion bars up at this point). We also had so much shit in the car, including 40L of jerries and two spare tyres, that there was no room in the boot or the back seat. Which is saying something for these things.

Comment

So we finally got to take this thing on a decent drive. 6000+km odd to be exact.

Two things happened at first. We realised for some reason it would just not sit comfortably on any speed above about 82km/hr, so we got left behind.

The right front brake started sticking halfway between Brisbane and Toowoomba, about an hour in. So we resolved to use the brakes as little as possible for the remaining 5950 odd km. The girls driving a range rover behind us also smelt our smoke thought they were on fire, so pulled over.

We were actually amazed we made it through our first day with no more problems. Mitchell cricket ground. It was bloody cold the next morning. Unfortunately no cars died on the first day so we still weren't safe.

Comment

Mitchell to Longreach at 82km/hr is a long way. Never did sort that out by the way, I thought it might be a short ratio diff to tow the boat, but someone on here pointed out it might have been a dicey vac advance which makes mores sense.

First casualty of the rally was an SV21 Camry which ended up with a hole in the block. Pretty much the first four or five cars that died this year were SV21 Camrys, no idea why.

We had our second major mechanical issue of the trip. The latch on the glovebox failed.

Longreach locals are unfriendly and the town smells like cabbage. We got abused for stalling in the main street when the kickdown failed to work. In a clear shitheap marked with charity rally stickers. Fuck you in general, Longreach.

Comment

Well, the local sport is sister-fuckin'....
            Originally posted by oioioioioi
            I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
            Originally posted by Sketchy
            Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Comment

I don't remember much of day 3 because it was 1100km. At 82km/hr.

A particular highlight was finding out the highbeam overheated after about thirty seconds, turning all the headlights off until you flicked it back to low beam. We were on a road surrounded by cattle the first time.

After this we picked up a support car and followed them as close as we could because they had actual functioning headlights and spotties. Fuel economy at 120km/hr for us turned out to be around 50L/100km.

In camp that night with 'Pain Train 1' and the nutjobs in Alfas.

Comment

The next two days were a blur, I really can't remember them apart from a few bits. Lots of river crossings and the rear vision mirror fell off at some stage.

Crossed into the Territory first.

This was my favourite shot of the trip. There was a bit of a grass fire going on behind us.

Stalled it in the first river crossing somehow though managed to get it going again. Worked out after stalling it in the next one that the air intake for these things looks like it's at the top of the wheel arch but there's actually a hidden duct to down below the left hand headlight. Fuck!

Had never been in a car that was slowly filling up with water before. Was pushed out by a Patrol owned by one of the guys on here. The same river crossing hydro locked another SV21 Camry before they started pulling everyone through. The Valiant just wouldn't start, I thought we were going to have to push it into the bushes and take the VIN and number plates with us, leaving it somewhere between Gregory Downs and nowhere.

Took the air filter out and left it on the bonnet for 15 minutes, and the thing fired up first time and actually ran better after that. No factory compression to the rescue!

The funny thing was the Valiant actually ran exactly the same on dirt/rocks/water as it did on tarmac. You could literally not tell the difference there was so little steering feel. So we just did 82km/hr everywhere. Went from being the last in every night to one of the first.

Keeping the VS Commodes company. These were also quick and unkillable.

And we had enough control to avoid the tree.

Comment

They're VN/VP's :p
                  Originally posted by oioioioioi
                  I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
                  Originally posted by Sketchy
                  Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Comment

Sorry, these days I just recognise them as 'pre-VT' or 'post VT'. Now I think about it the grey one was a Lexcen anyway!

Comment

Solid buy for $70
                      Keen to keep reading the story!

Comment

epic story already.

i cant believe theres nutcases rallying alfas and triumphs!
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Loving this. Combo of neat writing style and my youth hanging around my local Chrysler dealer 50 metres from home. Carry on.
                          Originally posted by Walt Kowalski:
                          I knew it. That orange bastard is controlling the weather with HAARP just to save his Mar-a-Lago property where he intends to host his handler, Vladimir Putin, at next years G7 which will be morphed back into the G8.

Comment

These old ducks are great giggers! Sometimes it seems to take more effort to kill them than to just keep them going!
                            BA GT
                            13s for $1300 TE Cortina wagon! Thermighty!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                              I don't remember much of day 3 because it was 1100km. At 82km/hr.

A particular highlight was finding out the highbeam overheated after about thirty seconds, turning all the headlights off until you flicked it back to low beam. We were on a road surrounded by cattle the first time.
                              I think we have a Bryce Cuntney in our midst.

Please continue, as I also have a sickness for old Valiants.
                              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Man you should have posted this up earlier. We all could have chipped in with help and knowledge. Fix for the glove box is to use a VK or earlier key and lock/latch. Two Philips screws and it's a easy fix. steering issue is mentioned above but changing the rag joint and winding up the slack helps no end.

The failure and drop to five cylinders is maybe the ignition systems ballast resistor about to go. Motors gearbox and diff are made or indestructium and will survive with oil and water, preferably separated.

Comment

Working...
                                X