Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

"takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
    I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.
    4AG is a much nicer thing, but it's hard to justify all the stuff around of an engine swap.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
      4AG is a much nicer thing, but it's hard to justify all the stuff around of an engine swap.
      Yeah it totally wouldn't be worth the effort, and there are more sensible and also sillier engines if you were going to bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
        How do you find it compared to the AE86? A mate had an NA for a while and I didn't dig it, engine didn't want to rev, gearbox was funny etc, didn't really fit into it either. He liked it (he also had an AE86 before the MX5) so maybe it just took some getting used to. Great fun driving around at night with the top down once you get over the uncomfortability of being one of two blokes in an MX5 with the top down. (oo er) I reckon they would be much more fun with a 4AGE and T50.

RE003s or proper grippy tyres? good opportunity to step up to 15s, these would be pretty hilarious on it https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4PCS-JUN...53.m1438.l2649
        Yeah, will be running 15s. Ordered some 15x8s for it. Those copies are pretty funny, considered some TE37 copies for a bit.

It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev. The gearbox is nicer than i remember the T50, but that could be because im remembering the race car not what it would be like as a sorted road car. I havent been in a 4AG powered road car for quite a long time, and the race car is a far cry from a road going vehicle. The engine basically has no power below 4500rpm...

Ill probably swap in a 1.8 eventually, but for now its a good bit of fun. Essentially what i wanted the 2JZA61 to be, but much much cheaper and lighter.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
          It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev.
          I read that they wanted to emulate the feel/sound of a British sports car, to me they feel a lot like a 2TG which I assume had a similar power delivery to a Lotus twin cam.
          Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
            I read that they wanted to emulate the feel/sound of a British sports car, to me they feel a lot like a 2TG which I assume had a similar power delivery to a Lotus twin cam.
            yeah i've heard that. The guy who was telling me that reckoned that they benchmarked a worn out one. I found that it wouldn't shift as fast as a T50 for example (and I managed to shift faster than my T50 wanted to go when I was trying to work out if a short shift kit was a good idea) but I might have just been driving the MX5 like a sick cunt.

and I haven't driven many mazdas but I've never driven one that liked to rev. no that's not true, I had a mazda3 hire car for a while that loved it.

I drag raced my mate while he had one (I was driving his sprinter) and I was well ahead at the end of first gear, then when I shifted into second I beat him all the way to the speed limit. the MX5 is just a weird mix of low redline and short gearing, but as they apparently wanted to tap into the "I want a British sports car feel only reliable" they probably got everything the way it had to be.

/csh

Comment

Every MX5 I have had has revved to over 7000 easy. Not sure why you guys feel they don't rev. The gearbox in these are normally nice to shift, I can shift gears as fast as I can without any hesitation from the box. Chuck some extractors, straight trough exhaust and light flywheel on it. As to tyres, my lap times where slower with the RS3's, but hey felt great. When I took the exhaust off I noticed the cat had collapsed. That would be why it went slower, it had a big chunk sitting sideways blocking exhaust flow.
              NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
              NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
              VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                Every MX5 I have had has revved to over 7000 easy. Not sure why you guys feel they don't rev. The gearbox in these are normally nice to shift, I can shift gears as fast as I can without any hesitation from the box. Chuck some extractors, straight trough exhaust and light flywheel on it. As to tyres, my lap times where slower with the RS3's, but hey felt great. When I took the exhaust off I noticed the cat had collapsed. That would be why it went slower, it had a big chunk sitting sideways blocking exhaust flow.
                Probably because the factory redline of the 100kw smallport 4ag is 7900rpm and will happily do 8800rpm completely stock.

It definitely feels zingier than the B6. Lots more power up top too. B6 feels flatter than peakier.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Considering the B6/BP engines were family hatchback engines turned around for properwheeldrive they're not bad. The car was also primarily designed to recapture the spirit of the old pommy roadsters, which they'll handily blow into the weeds. If Mazda had really wanted to make them a performance car they would have dropped the rotary in. Or the V6, which I reckon would have been a sweet package in an MX5. I do agree Mazda 4 cyl engines from that era weren't anything spectactular, although I do admit the B3 121s seemed to be pretty happy bouncing off the 6500 rev limiter. Not that there was much point, they didn't make any power.

Comment

Last night i drove this for the first time at night, and the crazing on one of the headlights is pretty bad. Can still see fine, but the light scatter annoys me no end.

This morning i jumped online to see what options there are for replacing the lights, thinking i would just grab some 7" raybrigs or something. Came across these:

I reckon they will fit too...
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

I swapped a 6x7 Raybrig into my bike - it made a huge difference vs the stock glass - tempted to bin the repro Carellos on the GTV for a pair now.
                      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Last night i drove this for the first time at night, and the crazing on one of the headlights is pretty bad. Can still see fine, but the light scatter annoys me no end.

This morning i jumped online to see what options there are for replacing the lights, thinking i would just grab some 7" raybrigs or something. Came across these:

Need to get you a steak and a pint ASAP. LOL
                        Mmmmmmmmm beer.:)

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                        You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Look at JW Speaker 8700 series, they're full LED and are considered the best LED 7" round headlight on the market. The fact that chinese piece of shit copies the design says something. Not cheap but everyone who's used them rave about them, Jeep, truck and motorcycle guys.

Comment

The Chinese have been copying JW speakers for a while now.
                            "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Lol, taking the piss. Have ordered Raybrigs.

This guy wasnt joking though:
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

It feels torquier than the 4AG, but less happy to rev. The gearbox is nicer than i remember the T50, but that could be because im remembering the race car not what it would be like as a sorted road car. I havent been in a 4AG powered road car for quite a long time, and the race car is a far cry from a road going vehicle. The engine basically has no power below 4500rpm...
                                There's a reason why everyone just chucks a turbo on the side of the B6/BP motors, they're strong enough to handle boost and there's no real gain in power by over spinning them.

Gearbox should be super slick though if not there could be an issue with the gearbox.

Comment

Working...
                                X