Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

"takai Just Wants To Have Fun" - NA MX5

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of looking good, these arrived today:

Well three of them anyway, hopefully the fourth comes tomorrow.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

While i was doing the LCAs yesterday i went and had a look at the ECU, as another MX5 owner in Melbs said that there was a silver NA going around FS with a butchered ECU loom. It has definitely been played with, as one of the bolts is missing from the ECU cover.

Now the ECU plugs look anything but butchered, except for two points:

This is one of them, the other just below.

Now i didnt have a chance to figure out what pins they are tapping, but the crimp job on the join makes it look quite factory, although im guessing it is an alarm.

Anyone able to confirm?
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

have seen these on a factory loom (was toyota)
        www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
          have seen these on a factory loom (was toyota)
          Yeah. They are all though JZ looms. The thing that makes me think aftermarket is the different wire gauge and material. The black wire is thick pliable insulation as opposed to the thinner stuff that is normally on JDM stuff. Similarly the colours donít match for the red wire below.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget

Comment

Holy crap, sounds like the Victorian MXV club are exactly like the Victorian Fiat club.

Many years ago at the Fiat Nationals I drove my car down to Bathurst with mates & tools on board. Competing in the street class, because full (over) weight street car with rego driven 2,000 round kms to an event. I made the mistake of beating a prominent Vic member who trailered his registered race car there. Next thing you know there was a delegates meeting to have me moved into the race car category post event because I had fuel injection...I shit you not. The irony of him trailering his race car there was lost on him. The next year he showed up with the car now turbo'd vs my driven down with mates much heavier atmo car. Beat him again...in race class...because fuel injection...

The 2018 Nationals were just on this last weekend in Winton...organised by Vic club. A mates car pushed some oil onto the khana course out of the breather. Some members of the Vic club screamed blue murder and let fly with accusations of trying to sabotage the event. This was after the sprints were my mate won outright in his race car after only getting in a couple of sessions. So then accusations were made that he's running a Honda motor and threats that he'll be excluded... Without doubt the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You'd think you'd look under the bonnet before making such a stupid call? Oh, it was the same bloke that tried to have me excluded.

All for a $2 trophy. What seems to be lost on them is most people go to catch up with mates, have a drink and a laugh and do some skids.
            Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Yep, that looks like a pretty common factory crimp. Dunno why they've stripped the insulation off it?
              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                Yep, that looks like a pretty common factory crimp. Dunno why they've stripped the insulation off it?
                Nah, i peeled back the insulation, trying to figure out whether it was stock or just twist and taped.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Ordered these online at 9pm last night... arrived at 2pm today!

Thats just a bit nuts.

Now to find someone to fit, balance, and wheel align for me.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                    Holy crap, sounds like the Victorian MXV club are exactly like the Victorian Fiat club.

Many years ago at the Fiat Nationals I drove my car down to Bathurst with mates & tools on board. Competing in the street class, because full (over) weight street car with rego driven 2,000 round kms to an event. I made the mistake of beating a prominent Vic member who trailered his registered race car there. Next thing you know there was a delegates meeting to have me moved into the race car category post event because I had fuel injection...I shit you not. The irony of him trailering his race car there was lost on him. The next year he showed up with the car now turbo'd vs my driven down with mates much heavier atmo car. Beat him again...in race class...because fuel injection...

The 2018 Nationals were just on this last weekend in Winton...organised by Vic club. A mates car pushed some oil onto the khana course out of the breather. Some members of the Vic club screamed blue murder and let fly with accusations of trying to sabotage the event. This was after the sprints were my mate won outright in his race car after only getting in a couple of sessions. So then accusations were made that he's running a Honda motor and threats that he'll be excluded... Without doubt the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You'd think you'd look under the bonnet before making such a stupid call? Oh, it was the same bloke that tried to have me excluded.

All for a $2 trophy. What seems to be lost on them is most people go to catch up with mates, have a drink and a laugh and do some skids.
                    Single make car clubs, unless you're giving reach arounds to certain members, don't upstage them or their cronies.

Comment

Where did you order the RS4s from? Keen to hear your impressions on them, looking to run some 225/45/15 versions on my SE.
                      2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                      2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                      2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Got them from this mob https://www.tyroola.com.au/hankook-v...978497504.html

They have some mates rates link, but I cant find it. Cost me $112 ea though, so pretty bloody cheap.

Doubt there will be many impressions for a while though, getting them fitted to the wheels today, but not going to put them on the car until the AE86 is out.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

I have RS4's. I would just go with a set of R specs. They are nowhere near the grip of very worn out old A050's.
                          NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                          NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                          VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

R specs on the road though.... ugh, driven on A048s and the sensation of my wallet trailing dollar bills isnt enjoyable.
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by lightyear View Post
                              I have RS4's. I would just go with a set of R specs. They are nowhere near the grip of very worn out old A050's.
                              Problem is I need a tyre with a wear rating of 140 or higher to stay in the Forced Induction Street class in QLD Time Attack, and I really want to run a 225/45/15 on my 8" Advanti S1 wheels, as I have 220 rwhp. Not a lot of options in that size.
                              2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                              2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                              2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

The only way to go fast on 140 plus tyres is to go wider. But that means going 17or 18". That's what all the fast guys are doing, Honda guys have 295's, and kill everyone.
                                NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
                                NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
                                VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Comment

Working...
                                X