Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Never understood Hondas when I was younger. Now I do. EK1

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hondata will be good for it.

This thing is screaming for a simple turbo add on btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lowkey excited to see how much of a difference it makes other than being able to cold-idle. I've got a set of new plugs in the glovebox, for some reason the guy I bought it from was running $27 iridiums in a pretty hot plug, and running it so fucking rich that the plugs are just black as fuuuck. Not sure if theres anything else I need to do before it goes to the dyno, I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to jot down what size injectors and pump it has?
      WWPBD

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum
      first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
      Fuckwits Incorporated

Comment

Ok, so it turns out that some of the things I was told might not have been correct. After one day at the workshop to fit and tune the Hondata turned into almost a week of chasing weird electrical problems it now drives beautifully and idles perfectly when cold.

The really annoying thing is that it also now idles fine from cold on the chipped JDM ecu that was in it before, and the peak power is basically the same too (although theres a bunch of spots of hesitation that are gone etc) and worst of all, it now idles when cold on the old ecu.

Turns out old mate hadn't popped out the holes for two passageways on the paper gasket for the idle valve so it was effectively blocked. Wish I'd found that earlier...

AFR is really good now, torque curve is pretty smooth as is the power curve, and vtec crossover has been moved up slightly and made to hit a bit smoother. He also tailed the torque off a couple of hundred rpm before where we thought redline should be so that you feel it tail off and know to change instead of it hitting the rev limit right in the middle of it really taking off

Had to work out a neat way to fit the patch harness behind the kick panel, I think my idea worked ok

WWPBD

first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
        Fuckwits Incorporated

Comment

that paper gasket isn't meant to be there at all. the rubber one under it provides the seal. people usually do that to block the idle control when using ecu's that aren't able to control it like oem

Comment

Might have to get another secondhand phone to use in the car for this, it doesn't seem to want to connect to my stereo at the same time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
            WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
              that paper gasket isn't meant to be there at all. the rubber one under it provides the seal. people usually do that to block the idle control when using ecu's that aren't able to control it like oem
              Hmm, I'll have to chuck the chipped ECU back in some time to double check that it idles, tuner said it did when he put it back in after finding that gasket.

I found a photo from the ad when I bought the car which I hadn't taken any notice of earlier, but after doing some reading tonight and seeing that there were a couple of different compression ratios that the B20 came with I was wondering what this engine was, seems that they're stamped as PHK pistons which makes them the higher compression ones (still only 9.6:1 but at least they're not 8.8 I guess)

Got to drive it in the hills today, it kind of feels a bit less fun now that the vtec crossover has been tuned to be smoother. If anything ever happens to this bottom end I think I'll go a B18 block with the thicker walls, and use the ARP rod bolts so I can run 9000rpm and take more advantage of the Edelbrock manifold. Before he tuned the torque out from 7800+ish so that I don't keep running it too hard, he said that it really wants to pull at 8000+, and it would be nice to get a bit more of that two-stroke feel
              WWPBD

Fuckwits Incorporated

Comment

Working...
              X