Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Never understood Hondas when I was younger. Now I do. EK1

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never understood Hondas when I was younger. Now I do. EK1

Its not that I was opposed to fwds, I had a string of Charades, I just never really 'got' Hondas, probably because none of my friends had them. Years later my old man decided he wanted to buy something cool and found a private import NSX-R and I was impressed with how nicely that was put together and the thought that had gone into it, but it never felt particularly quick as a passenger and I'm too tall to comfortably drive NSX's so I never got to feel VTEC kick in, although I did see him come out of the esses at Mallala onto the start straight in a four wheel slide while I was in the timing tower, which looked pretty fucking cool from up there. A couple of years later one of my brothers bought an EP3 Civic Type R, I really liked that but it seems his neighbours didn't because someone set it on fire the first night he parked it in the street. With his insurance cheque he put the excess after paying out the loan towards a super clean EK4 VTiR and that car impressed me a lot, not as quick as the EP3 by a long way but it seemed like it would have been a really fun option for people who couldn't step up to a GC8 WRX or a S14 200SX when it was new. That got sold to our youngest brother and probably got thrashed pretty hard because after he sold it the next guy didn't have it long before it blew up. Youngest brother went back to a grandpa spec looking ED Civic sedan a year or so after selling the EK4, champagne-gold. brown velour interior, but even that is kind of a nice car. Then last year he got me to come with him when he went to look at an EG hatch with a B18 swap from a VTiR Intergra (along with the brakes and a whole lot of other stuff) that we have been mucking around with to make it a nicer car, and he has turned into a reasonably potent little track car.

The other night he sent me a link to a plain looking white EK hatch that had a whole lot of DC2R Integra Type R stuff in it (brakes, front subframe, 4.7 LSD box, steering rack and pump) and an engine that had been assembled with a good mix of different Honda parts (B20 block, ported B18 Vtec head, EK9 B16 cams and ECU, DC2R oil pump and injectors, and a few aftermarket bolt-ons, Edelbrock intake manifold, Skunk2 throttlebody, extractors, and the loudest exhaust I've had the displeasure of driving (arse puckering having to drive it home into the city at 11pm on a Friday night after picking it up). It also has all new bushes, Tein Mono Flex coilovers the guy had , sway bars, different rear control arms and some not offensive wheels with Nitto NT01's. Basically no annodised parts in the engine bay, a DC2R airbox with a K&N filter and a big feed from the bumper, super thick radiator. It looked like everything was there for a reason and parts had been chosen to work together well. Even the interior was reasonably neat with EK4 VTiR seats and a nice Nardi. No tint, no bodykit, no stickers. This seems kind of rare with Hondas...

One day of umming and ahhing, got the cash out and waited all day for a reply to my messages (no phone number listed, just 'message me on facebook'), finally got a reply at 8pm, arranged for my little brother to come give me a lift and we went to the address I was given that turned out to be a little workshop because the guy was a mechanic. Older guy than you'd normally expect to see building Hondas but super nice and enthusiastic about the car even though we had to get his friend to translate from ... not sure if it was Vietnamese or Malaysian... to English. He put it on a hoist, let me have a good look, and then he started it. Holy fuck. SO fucking loud. Then he took us for a drive in it, way more grip than I've felt in a street car before and holy shit it pulled hard for a little car with three people in it. The workshop was on the outside of a 90 degree corner so on the way back we were headed straight towards the rollerdoor and he kept it pinned to the floor way later than I would have thought was a good idea and then stomped on the brakes and it just about stopped in its tracks. Consider me sold!

Just had to fix a couple of things, speedo wasn't working on that dash so he chucked another one in,reverse globe was out, and he said that the aftermarket mirrors that are on it are terrible so he'll give me some stock ones next time I go down there as well as any other small trim bits it may need. Also got him to give me another much larger muffler which isn't a direct bolt-on but shouldn't need too much fiddling, I was hoping to get that sorted on Saturday morning but my preferred place was unexpectedly closed and I couldn't get it in anywhere else, so I'll have to try and arrange that to be done this week.

Nail-biting drive home because of how loud it is, and I've been driving a diesel Hyundai for work for so long that I was really worried about stalling it since I assume it has a light flywheel and a carbon single plate clutch. Managed to move from a standing start every time but once.

Also, after talking for a while it turns out this was the guy that built my brother's B18 EG, so that kind of made my mind up for me.

WWPBD

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Congrats, this is exactly the sort of thing that I am looking for. For the price I end up flicking back to RS Clio etc. and remember that I have already had one of them. Type R Honda of some description is on my to do list....

Comment

Ooh very nice, I saw this pop up but was out of budget, but looking at the specs you couldn't build it for the price he was asking.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
      Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Sounds like it's a great buy.

Comment

Awesome buy!
          I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Damn near 20 years ago when I first got my licence there was an import EK SiR in our crew. Had cams and tune etc by memory and made me fall in love with VTEC right there and then. Magnificent car and amazing noise

Comment

Yeah, thatís neat, looks well executed and should make for an engaging drive. 👌🏽

Comment

Great buy and good yarn. An EG/EK VTiR was the car I wanted when I was in high school! Still like them.

Comment

Nice!

I went to buy an EK SiR a few years ago but it was flogged out. Always liked them. I had a yellow DC2 Type R and it's still one of the best cars I've owned. Small Hondas with bigger engines go really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
                    Nice!

I went to buy an EK SiR a few years ago but it was flogged out. Always liked them. I had a yellow DC2 Type R and it's still one of the best cars I've owned. Small Hondas with bigger engines go really well.
                    Yeah I like bigger engines in small cars, I had a G102 Charade in 2005ish that had the 1.3 removed and a 1.6 from an Applause dropped in and that was great to drive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                    WWPBD

Originally posted by InsaneAsylum
                    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
                    Fuckwits Incorporated

Comment

I never understood Hondas either but this one makes sense. Good buy.

Comment

That is fucking cool!
                        I'd love the equivalent in a sedan (because #dadlife) and always keep half an eye iut but tidy 90's civics are rare to come across these days! Nice score!

Comment

Ive never owned a Honda but a mates snarling EG Civic gave me an appreciation for them. As well as Best motorung DVD's...
                          That looks rather tasty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

dude, this is sick.
                            Originally posted by Mr Jones
                            Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Awesome buy. Never got them either until owning a 70's Civic. Would love something like Top Class Tyre's SB2 or anything with a bigger engine shoehorned in.

Comment

Working...
                              X