Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Toyota KE55 - Will get there in the end..

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota KE55 - Will get there in the end..

Car specs

1979 Toyota KE55 Corolla - Built in Japan, not the Australian build.
    1290cc 4K-C,
    Ported 5K head which also bumps compression up quite a bit.
    Kelford CE695 266/266 Cam
    Double Valve springs
    Replacement OEM Valves
    Weber 32/36 DGV Carb swap
    Arias pistons and ACL bearings
    K40 4speed manual box
    eBay alloy radiator

Current plans which are subject to change
    Sand whole body, rust and dent repairs
    Either closed or perhaps full respray, yet to choose colour and work out if I paint at home or pay professional to do it.
    Replace all bushings and suspension components
    Clean up engine bay
    Retrim interior in black, remove anything brown
    Get registration..

Then comes the choice of either swap in another engine that's mild like a 4AGE or bit more wild like a 1J, 1UZ, or work this further with a set of dual sidedraft webers.
    Will see.

Previous and Current pics

Next post is actual story..

Story so far

Hey guys,

Long time lurker on this forum and have had a shit tonne of "Projects" and weekender cars in this time however I've never documented anything so this will be a start so hopefully doesn't bore everyone to shits.
    Idea of the project is teach my young fella (11year old with Autism) about cars and probably myself a bit too - He's completely obsessed with anything mechanical, Mainly trains however I can't buy one of them so he can love cars instead haha.

Anyway I let him choose any car that was sub $1k on gumtree and he scrolled for a fair while, obviously said no to the odd Saab and Volvo he seemed to want till he showed me the advert for "Old 70's Toyota" with next to no details other than a pixelated photo of what was either a KE Corolla or a Corona, was $1500 or offers and a location about 40 minute drive from my house.

Called the bloke up curious as to what it could be, Basically still spurting out vague details like it's a 70s Toyota, manual and no registration on it.
    Alright, Told the nopics (Am i doing this right?) that we were off to look only and not buy a car, young lad and me jumped in the car with full intention of buying something. (1k in my pocket and the hopes to low ball old mate)

Arrived to this, snapped these before even knocking on old mates door..

Typical of the area I had just arrived in, massive hippiesh beatnik dude comes out and handed me the keys to free roam around the car. Asked the usual questions but had no clue any history of the car other than he bought it because it reminded himself of the younger days..
    He did have enough knowledge of cars to mention that he thinks it has a big cam and a carb upgrade.. Started it up, took some mashing of the accelerator and quite a few cranks before she fired into life but very lumpily. Young lad was in love, and demanded that we buy it, how could I say no heh.

Anyway, thought I'd seen enough, gave him the lowball of $1k and he jumped with joy and stated he would of taken $500 as no one had looked at the car in the 6 months he had the advert up for.. Fck me!
    Handed him a deposit and said I'd pick the car up the next day as needed to sort out a trailer..

Next day came and for some unfathomable reason there was no car trailers for hire in any of the service stations in any direction 30km radius from me. So called old mate up again asking if he thought it would drive alright on a permit, stated "Yes ofcoarse, I drive it to the shops still" Rightio, unlicensed and sticks out like dogs balls without any plates on it.

Got the temporary movement permit over the phone and heavily preggo-notveryhappy nopics to drive me out while younglad was at school, arrived to a geriatrics lady of atleast 90years who gave me the key once handed over the cash.

Go to start the car, brrrr grrrr grr.. Great, Flat battery. Tried to bump start down the road to no avail.. Ended up having to persuade the already annoyed nopics to drive me to SCA to grab some jumper leads which are usually stored in the car but deathwish me removed earlier that morning and didn't place back..

Anyway jump started it fine and then came the torrential fcking rain, Driving this 40something year old car that's covered in dust 50kms back home with windscreen wiper blades similar to that of 80grit sandpaper, FUN.
    Usual crap, Fuel light was on so into a servo, $20 worth of 98 into it. Flat again! had to push the car out of the busy servo and jumpstart again.. in the rain..

Fast forward, car got home in one piece and picked up the excited son from school and had to have a photo taken with his car.

Few days later gave the young lad a high pressure hose to use, great way of ripping off paint and finding rust/body filler, ect.

Found some festy looking bog job in rear left door. Ignore the texter, gave young lad a job to go around and mark anything he thinks is rust of bog.

And more rust.

Added some cheap as "JDM" plates from WISH

Body isn't too bad really besides the shocking paint job which I can only explain has the texture of chalk, one of the previous owners did love bog too, heaps on the doors, rear quarters, front guards and front apron.
    Had a bit of a slow start with the imminent arrival of a baby but we both got out there and sanded a bit.

Engine bay isn't much to be desired about right now

Whilst googling "KE55 with cam" I stumbled across previous owner before the lasts youtube and facebook where there is a few videos and pics of upgrades and molestation of the car but did find out information about the engine.
    Turns out its a mildly rebuilt 4K-C, Ported 5K head, Kelford 266/266 Cam, Double valve springs, new valves, Arias pistons, ACL bearings, Weber 32/36carb on ported manifold.

Though the same person who rebuild this engine also did whatever the fck this is

That is about it for now, Will have a few updates later in week, got a couple of goodies to put in.

Comment

Awesome project for you and the young bloke.

He'll love it when it's done, and a great jigger for motorkhanas when it's finished before he has his licence.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool as fuck. Trying to convince my also pregnant nopics to let me do something similar with my car obsessed son.........except he's 2.......

Your lad is going to have an absolute blast tinkering in that! Also if you stick to direct gloss white, an at home paintjob can come out perfectly fine. Lay it on thick and colour sand all the shit out of it until its smooth.

Comment

What is the difference between the Japan built ones and Aus ones?

Good buy! Normally around 4k minimum these days.
          Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Japanese ones are built properly, unlike Australian ones!

Thereís usually a few weird differences - I had a Japanese RT104 Corona and quite a few parts didnít interchange at all, presumably due to the CKD style construction and local content rules. For some reason the floor pan was entirely different so Australian seats didnít fit.

Good buy, which seems a weird thing to say because I remember these being free! My flatmate had a KE70 wagon that he drove to the wrecker and got enough to buy the bus ticket back home in 2001. Theyíre actually a half decent platform given 4AGEs are so cheap now, the T50 being a bigger issue.

Comment

Nice pickup, looks like a decent body at this stage.
              meh

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                Awesome project for you and the young bloke.

He'll love it when it's done, and a great jigger for motorkhanas when it's finished before he has his licence.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
                Thanks and yes that's the plan, Get him into driving training and do some khanas once old enough.

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
                That's cool as fuck. Trying to convince my also pregnant nopics to let me do something similar with my car obsessed son.........except he's 2.......

Your lad is going to have an absolute blast tinkering in that! Also if you stick to direct gloss white, an at home paintjob can come out perfectly fine. Lay it on thick and colour sand all the shit out of it until its smooth.
                He's already loving it, Almost too much enthusiasm to get out there and do stuff where as I'm not so motivated at the moment haha.
                Direct Gloss? as in 2Pack? If so, Can I use just a basic Acrylic primer or do I need something to suit 2pack paint?

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                What is the difference between the Japan built ones and Aus ones?

Good buy! Normally around 4k minimum these days.
                Amazing the price these things can fetch, I'd pay closer to that for a coupe but not a 4 door..

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                Japanese ones are built properly, unlike Australian ones!

Thereís usually a few weird differences - I had a Japanese RT104 Corona and quite a few parts didnít interchange at all, presumably due to the CKD style construction and local content rules. For some reason the floor pan was entirely different so Australian seats didnít fit.

Good buy, which seems a weird thing to say because I remember these being free! My flatmate had a KE70 wagon that he drove to the wrecker and got enough to buy the bus ticket back home in 2001. Theyíre actually a half decent platform given 4AGEs are so cheap now, the T50 being a bigger issue.
                You are right, the quality does seem a bit better however i've only been in one other KE30 before.
                Couple differences i've noticed so far is the mounting points for seatbelts and the actual seat rails differ and also the rear differential is a Banjo and not the aussie spec Borg Warner.

Originally posted by SR20 KE30 View Post
                Nice pickup, looks like a decent body at this stage.
                Thanks, Body is not too bad really especially considering the age of her.

Comment

Originally posted by D3FEKT View Post
                  Alright, Told the nopics (Am i doing this right?) that we were off to look only and not buy a car, young lad and me jumped in the car with full intention of buying something. (1k in my pocket and the hopes to low ball old mate)
                  Fucking lol

Comment

Loving the story so far, looking forward to updates!
                    Norbie!

Comment

aussie ones had a bog whiner diff, i would think then this would have maybe a jap S series diff?

get a pic of the placard would be good to see the difference between this and the aussie delivered ones (which were pure pov pack)

was the 4k-c factory or is it a SR model with the twin carb (4K-B?) and taco dash?

15 years ago when i had my KE35 the new zealand trademe site was a gold mine for jap parts for these as long as you could find a helpful kiwi seller willing to ship.

5 speeds are getting pretty thin on the ground now, they weren't exactly everywhere back then.

the worst thing i ever did with my KE35 was to try and stiffen it up and turn it into a sports car. Totally lost all of its charm. however i do have a brake upgrade article with pics i wrote back in the day if you want i can dig them up, was a very cheap upgrade with factory parts.
                      www.holditflat.com

Comment

ahh shit i brain farted here, i think SR model was just a coupe with a 3K-B, its been a while now.
                        www.holditflat.com

Comment

Mad story man. Definitely something that we would do (well have done) for a fucking Gemini lololol.

And LOL at the engine builder pic at the end there. What's that plumbers pipe to what I assuming is a turbo (icecream sandwich says it's ona J pipe as well)

Keen to see progress!
                          BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X