Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

4 point harness in Road registered Street cars for track days/Sprint events

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 point harness in Road registered Street cars for track days/Sprint events

Thought this new product would be worthy of it's own thread.

Custom Specific per brand/model: Perfect for BMW, VW/Audi, Ford, Jeep, Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hbYwHUOipg

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit#3317
    Attached Files
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

That's a pretty clever setup, I have done something similar in my car using eye bolts in the seatbelt buckle threads. Only downside is the downward angle which can catch the eye of some scrutineers, in the CAMS manual it's supposed to be less than 45 degrees from the horizontal and I have had some people comment on that, but they have still allowed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedy View Post
      That's a pretty clever setup, I have done something similar in my car using eye bolts in the seatbelt buckle threads. Only downside is the downward angle which can catch the eye of some scrutineers, in the CAMS manual it's supposed to be less than 45 degrees from the horizontal and I have had some people comment on that, but they have still allowed it.
      I've done the same in my skyline, 1 scrute wouldn't allow it and made me use my road belt instead. The angle is less than ideal. The cams regs allow up to 45° but recommend between 10-20° as the best angle to eliminate/reduce compression of the spine in an accident. Hence, im looking at adding a proper harness bar. May as well do it properly.

Comment

Would they even be legal here though? No FIA approval I can see, although they are ECE and FMVSS approved for street use, do the ADRs accept ECE/FMVSS standards?

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
          Would they even be legal here though? No FIA approval I can see, although they are ECE and FMVSS approved for street use, do the ADRs accept ECE/FMVSS standards?
          That was my next question.
          I was hoping to use in Clubsprint at AUS Time Attack. (Not as strict as WTA)
          Will they pass scrutineering though?
          BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Comment

They're designed for specific vehicle models. So unless you've got one fitted to the specific vehicle it's approved for then no, it shouldn't pass scrutineering, and that's actually assuming it would fit.

Comment

Why not use the baby seat tether?
              Originally posted by PJ O’Rourke
              Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Comment

Yeah, nah. Do it properly. That's just a half baked effort. Nothing against Schroth. Got a custom harness from them designed to fit my standard car and car seat (which fortunately has harness bar and seat harness holes) and still leave my normal lap sash belt fitted for driving away from the track. Best of both worlds. Not cheap, but worth it
                Oh, and no to 4 point harness. 5 or 6 point is what you need. I didn't like cutting a hole in my perfectly good seat to fit the crotch straps, but it's the only way I find you can keep the buckle down where it belongs, and not ride up when you cinch up shoulder straps.

Comment

Originally posted by 200MPH View Post
                  Yeah, nah. Do it properly. That's just a half baked effort. Nothing against Schroth. Got a custom harness from them designed to fit my standard car and car seat (which fortunately has harness bar and seat harness holes) and still leave my normal lap sash belt fitted for driving away from the track. Best of both worlds. Not cheap, but worth it
                  Oh, and no to 4 point harness. 5 or 6 point is what you need. I didn't like cutting a hole in my perfectly good seat to fit the crotch straps, but it's the only way I find you can keep the buckle down where it belongs, and not ride up when you cinch up shoulder straps.
                  All of this.

I have a 4 pt in the mx5 and every time I go to the track I remember why I always had 6 pt harnesses in everything else..

Maybe today I'll buy myself a new 6pt...

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                  2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonian101 View Post
                    That was my next question.
                    I was hoping to use in Clubsprint at AUS Time Attack. (Not as strict as WTA)
                    Will they pass scrutineering though?
                    ATA Clubsprint supp regs from 2018 requires "a minimum of a four (4) point Safety Harness in compliance with SFI16.1;".

I can't see any details on their website to say it meets any SFI or FIA standards. I'd assume they would advertise / document this if they did meet standards, so can only guess they don't. In which case, nope, they won't pass scrutineering. Maybe a quick email to Scroth would confirm / deny exactly what standards they are certified to.

Also, Scroth list it in the "tuner" section of their website rather than in the "competition" section with all the real harnesses......

Comment

That angle looks like it's begging for spinal compression.

Do it properly. You don't need them until you 'need' them. And you'd wanna make sure they are mounted properly at that point.

Comment

This^
                        BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Someone will come out with isofix harness next... As already suggested, that looks really bad for your back.

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                            Someone will come out with isofix harness next... As already suggested, that looks really bad for your back.
                            Well as long as you use the baby seat top tether as well, as Matty has suggested, 10 kg of toddler in a traffic light bingle vs. 100 kg of fat cunt on a race track.. what could go wrong! :)

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                              Well as long as you use the baby seat top tether as well, as Matty has suggested, 10 kg of toddler in a traffic light bingle vs. 100 kg of fat cunt on a race track.. what could go wrong! :)
                              You could weld a frame between the iso fix mounts and the top tether... That keeps the belt up high so it doesn't shrink your spine suddenly... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X