Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Show us your solidworks models

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that intake assembly looks fantastic.

FWIW, print screen + control-V into paint will create a screen shot for you without having to photograph the literal screen.
    Originally posted by oioioioioi
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Originally posted by Sketchy
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

Comment

Haha or use snipping tool..

Comment

Originally posted by ISL33P View Post
        You could do it as you said but I dont see anybody liking the finish compared to how relatively easy it is to cnc them. The actual machining doesnt take too much just more time in setup for such small items
        Cheers man - it's one of those situations where I have access to a cheap water cutter, but no access to a CNC :(
        It's for an LS1 ITB setup where my mate wants vertical velocity stacks, rather than the angled ones. I was going to use RB26 throttles, but they're not ideal for how I want to do them.

Comment

Or you can do a screen capture using SW
          Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Custom Plenum Creations facebook page

Comment

The rb26 is way too small for a LS
            Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Custom Plenum Creations facebook page

Comment

I think I'll leave the manifolds to the experts, haha!

Comment

We have been designing motorsport brake calipers and uprights for race cars. Almost ready for production.

http://www.brysport.com - Where I post my ramblings and race car designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                  I have only had a single experience with a 3d scanned item. It was an inlet manifold which was scanned and the file format was STL. It consisted of triangles and the standard view planes were all over the place. I ended up passing on the project because i didn't have the time to deal with it but what i probably would have had to do was just use it as an envelope to check the actual design which would have had to be built up from scratch/measurements anyway.
                  So I deal with scans from a faro scanner, I just post process with scene, software they provide but I leave it as point cloud.

To then make surfaces from a scan you need to use more software that does what you said. Anyway, in solidworks when you open a .xyz file there is an option in cloud editor or something, I have to rotate it around to get the axis lined up, with the faro it is X -90 deg.

It is still not perfect but what I do is draw a few planes in and then draw some lines, I use the planes and lines to align the scan with my model, as the scan is really just a check to see if it will fit into the plant, or anything I have missed. Works pretty good really.
                  3D scanning
                  3D modelling
                  Structural certification
                  3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Excellent work on the calipers and uprights clubracer :) They look like they'll be CNC'd eh, no printing...
                    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
                    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Don't get to model interesting high performance automotive stuff unfortunately, mostly just design things for miners to break:

Comment

Forgive the newbie question..

Just starting out with solidworks and an idea for a first project is to design a rear diff cover for my rx8 race car that will be CNC milled (overkill, heavy etc, no fucks given at this point)

My question though is how to import known hole locations into solidworks so they're correct. I have rear covers I can have scanned if that's possible, don't need 3D model of the holes, just the correct locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        '93 fini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
                        Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Just lay them out in a sketch using dimensions to constrain them. Everything in solidworks is driven by dimensions as its parametric. Software like spaceclaim and autocad are direct modelers where u can locate the geometry initially but once its located there is no link to the original driving distance.

Comment

Show us your solidworks models

Alright, I'll measure up a cover this weekend and plug the measurements in.

Found some good YouTube videos so hopefully that will cut down on my questions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a chance to play with SW again today while the youngest was sleeping. Designing a welding table to play with using RHS in SW.

Got this far, but can't seem to draw more lines in Sketch mode for the other legs. I switch to Sketch, select Line tool. In back orientation I click the dot where I want the line to start, insert line tool asks for orientation, i select vertical, enter 850mm as the height. Click the green check. Nothing seems to happen. Taken back to sketch mode but the line tool is no longer selected and no line is created. Not sure where to go from here.

Still, this much was pretty easy once you start thinking the right way. Hoping I can export the file in a format that a steel supplier can then just cut all the RHS as specified in the document, and I jig it up and weld at home.

Comment

Thats an easy one to fix.

1. open MS word.
                                2. type the following
                                .....legs - 4 off length x RHS dimensions.
                                .....Top crossmembers - 4 off length x RHS dimensions.
                                .....Leg braces - 2 off length x RHS dimensions.
                                3. ?????
                                4. Save word document and send to supplier.
                                5. profit.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Working...
                                X