Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Show us your solidworks models

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I never tried onshape but there is some guys from solidworks there. I looked at the prices and seemed expensive for what it was.

    It is interesting as from what I have been told 20 years ago solidworks was the low cost disruptor when the go to software was pro engineer.

    I don't know what solidworks plan is but it is like they don't care that people pirate the software, only if u use it professionally. Once you are at a level to use it to make money the 15k to buy it becomes a non issue.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

    Comment


      It used to be the case but I think they care a lot more about piracy now. Someone I know who has been hassled by them has a theory that there are software piracy bounty hunters who do the not so above board work to find the violaters and hand the info over for Iím assuming a fee. They presented a plethora of information some of which he concluded must have been sourced by some dodgy methods. Itís for that reason I no longer have any dodgy versions of software. Itís just great that autodesk has the fusion360 software free for startups and students. When people ask to learn about cad software by response used to be just download a dodgy copy of solidworks. Now my repose is just sign up for fusion 360. Itís not as good but at least u wonít have to be worrying about getting stung with a big bill for a software license.

      Comment


        Just like all the people running businesses that send me jobs to machine with solidworks files, and they all say "for student use only" or something along those lines across them. Though it would be nice to get decent models for once rather then junk shit by people that have no idea what they are doing

        Comment


          Originally posted by Commotion View Post
          I tried it once. It locked up almost instantly and then gave up.
          Odd. I've used it a bunch, and never has.
          They do substantial updates pretty much every week. Its improving rapidly.

          Comment


            Originally posted by MWP View Post
            Odd. I've used it a bunch, and never has.
            They do substantial updates pretty much every week. Its improving rapidly.
            It was many years ago in its infancy. Iím sure itís not long that now.

            Comment


              Originally posted by tc josh View Post
              Just like all the people running businesses that send me jobs to machine with solidworks files, and they all say "for student use only" or something along those lines across them. Though it would be nice to get decent models for once rather then junk shit by people that have no idea what they are doing
              I find the general drafting standard to be quite low in the industry. I count myself lucky I did time at an engineering company with very high standards where I learned a huge amount about drafting standards and styles. Now with our big press we are starting to get drawing for parts to press from some large companies and the standard of drafting is quite ordinary. Looks like they got the grad to do em and didnít bother to check their work.

              Comment


                Poly piping for float cells, all detailed in routing.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-16 18.22.08.png
Views:	1
Size:	850.3 KB
ID:	6615996

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-09-16 18.20.40.png
Views:	1
Size:	793.0 KB
ID:	6615997
                3D scanning
                3D modelling
                Structural certification
                3 and 5 axis milling

                Comment


                  I'm now eligible for the student version of SolidWorks. Can you guys recommend any particular videos to get started? I have zero CAD experience, just want to try and model stuff for shits and giggles.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Beavis View Post
                    I'm now eligible for the student version of SolidWorks. Can you guys recommend any particular videos to get started? I have zero CAD experience, just want to try and model stuff for shits and giggles.
                    I've been working my way through the SW tutorials that are part of the program..... good for understanding the basics.

                    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

                    Don't mention the adBlocker !!

                    Comment


                      The tutorials are good. Then when you want to be a nigger Google top down modelling, I'm sure there is tutorials on YouTube for it.
                      3D scanning
                      3D modelling
                      Structural certification
                      3 and 5 axis milling

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
                        The tutorials are good. Then when you want to be a nigger Google top down modelling, I'm sure there is tutorials on YouTube for it.
                        Yeah that can be good fun. Especially when working in an office environment with multiple people working on the same project. Getting ur head around all the layers of sketches feels like staring at the matrix.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X