Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

MIG weld basics - spares, useful shit to have, resources

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coregas (bunnings) is now doing e bottles. Bit of extra deposit but much more useful if welding regularly.

Ps. DO NOT USE SHITTY DISPOSABLE BOTTLES!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by F3ARED View Post
      Speedgas bottle via Total Tools is $299 including outright purchase of bottle and full gas fill, or same price as Bunnings. I think the deposit deal with Bunnings is a bit of a false economy; you still have technically tied up that $200. Lets face it, if you have committed to buying a Mig, you are probably going to want to have a bottle on hand. As the nopics pointed out, once its empty im going to want to replace it with another full bottle so that $200 is still sitting there.
      She is right if you only do a little welding occasionally. However, if you have a big project on, you can get two bottles from Bunnings, so you don't run out mid job, then take one back and get the $200 refunded when your workload dies down. I'm in this situation currently. Also, if you need $200 in a hurry you can get it from Bunnings, which you can't do if you own the bottle.

Those little disposable bottles need an adaptor, they don't fit the normal regulator. I think the adaptor is about $50. I'm thinking about getting one to take the TIG to the track for emergency repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
        Thanks for this, need to get some gas soon.
        BOC also do (or did as recent as 2017) a D Plan Argoshield Light special where you pay around $100 a year which includes a full refill, plus the first refill free. So for the first year you essentially get 2 refills for your $100. No additional rental or deposit. Good option if you're using around a D bottle a year. They don't advertise it, you have to ask for it.

New Bunnings offer above is simpler though. Anyone know what the gas mix is?

D plan is good for home use if you're not doing a lot of welding. When I did my rollcage I went with an E size bottle as was going to be cheaper provided I returned the bottle asap. Would have used two D's for the cage so double the price (BOC). Ended up probably the same due to rental as it took me over 6mths to finish the cage lol!
        I had an E2 from BOC for ages, but barely used it past the first bottle or so. Probably paid $400 in rental fees over the years for not using it.

Speedgas bottle via Total Tools is $299 including outright purchase of bottle and full gas fill, or same price as Bunnings. I think the deposit deal with Bunnings is a bit of a false economy; you still have technically tied up that $200. Lets face it, if you have committed to buying a Mig, you are probably going to want to have a bottle on hand. As the nopics pointed out, once its empty im going to want to replace it with another full bottle so that $200 is still sitting there.
        Nah, not particularly. The big advantage to Bunnings is that its a swap and go, and when they can't refill you just give it back. Total Tools requires you to purchase the bottle, and then when it goes out of date get it pressure tested etc etc.

The BOC $100 deal is a false economy too for a home/light user as above.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

https://www.tarrantsgas.com/page/bocpricing

BOC pricing for their "no hire" plans is in the link above. Available from all BOC agents. They also do G sized ones if you want to use plenty of gas...

Comment

https://www.tradetools.com/product-r...welding-helmet

Is a very nice helmet without breaking the bank. 4 sensors, large area. Will do low voltage tig too, not that its going to matter much for you. I've used mine a few times a week for the last year and it's still going fine. They pop up on special from time to time for about the $150 mark, check ebay too.

Starting out, get a couple of nozzles because you're going to fill it full of slag. Get a pack of welding tips in the right size, 0.8mm or 0.9mm depending on which wire you are using. Id probably just stick with 0.9mm, will make it a little more stable when starting out. Probably won't need to worry about tip holders unless you way over tighten the tip or burn everything up with too much heat. Likewise You don't really need to worry about gas diffusers, they normally only break if you have a bad habit of tapping the nozzle on the bench to free it of slag. They are usually only a couple bucks each anyway.

Stick with 5kg spools of wire too. Don't go right for the 15kg ones. Unless you are doing a lot of welding, you can run into issues with surface rust forming on the wire due to humidity. Stick with regular (ER70S-6) mild steel gas wire and argoshield or 5/2 mix like people above, it'll cover most of your general purpose welding.

Spray is ok if you are working in tight areas you can't dress later. Nozzle gel just stops slag build up inside the nozzle, especially when you start welding as you'll probably be too close or too far from the work piece, so you'll have a bit of slag popping and flying off. Different torches have different components (consumables), but to give you an idea of how the pieces go together; here's a pretty common binzel style torch.

Wire speed and amperage / voltage settings is really going to depend a lot on the machine and its setup. So you are best googling the machine and see if someone has a cheat sheet, or write your own with trial and error. If you have a mate that can weld, it will be really helpful to give you some base settings.
            Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
            This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
              Stick with 5kg spools of wire too. Don't go right for the 15kg ones. Unless you are doing a lot of welding, you can run into issues with surface rust forming on the wire due to humidity.
              cheaper machines will struggle with the bigger reels too, mine does anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post

Stick with 5kg spools of wire too. Don't go right for the 15kg ones. Unless you are doing a lot of welding, you can run into issues with surface rust forming on the wire due to humidity.
                Yeah this. The surface rust will rub off on the inside of your liner, and after a while the wire feed will get "sticky" and you will be scratching your head wondering why you can't weld for shit anymore. Good idea to keep a spare liner as well.

Comment

A tip my neighbor gave me is don't let the cable "droop" at an extreme angle as it comes out of the machine and generally avoid bending it in any sharp angles.

Comment

For cleaning the wire grab a foam ear plug and thread it between the spool of wire and drive rollers.

Helps in cleaning the wire as most have a bit of residual oil on the wire which is not benifical for good welding.
                    Can also give the wire a little bit of tension without tensioning the spool going into the roller/drive system to help smooth the wire at the business end.

Comment

Originally posted by Morcs View Post
                      For cleaning the wire grab a foam ear plug and thread it between the spool of wire and drive rollers.

Helps in cleaning the wire as most have a bit of residual oil on the wire which is not benifical for good welding.
                      Can also give the wire a little bit of tension without tensioning the spool going into the roller/drive system to help smooth the wire at the business end.
                      can clamp a folded up rag on with a clothespeg or similar too.

Comment

Originally posted by ricardo View Post
                        https://www.tarrantsgas.com/page/bocpricing

BOC pricing for their "no hire" plans is in the link above. Available from all BOC agents. They also do G sized ones if you want to use plenty of gas...
                        Yep, that's the deal I was on.

Comment

-Gas and Gasless wire; is there actually a difference between the two or is it another way of milking money out of idiots? My understanding is that the gas wire can be used gasless, but will make more of a mess with splatter and require more grinding. Actually, lets face it, regardless of what I do ill probably need to do a lot of grinding but thats a different story :lol
                          Others have covered this quite well, but I'll chip in with one more thing. Gas welding looks better, because there is virtually no spatter. Gasless welding with flux core looks awful, because you end up with spatter everywhere.

One advantage of gasless welding is that, well, you don't need to carry a tank. So the setup is more compact if that's important to you. A related advantage of gasless welding is that you can do it when it's very windy outside. In other words, it's good if you're a farmer or are working out in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                            can clamp a folded up rag on with a clothespeg or similar too.
                            Yep same same

Nozzle dip has not been mentioned helps the shit come of the end easier and less likely to weld itself in causing the gas flow to be an irregular coverage and then shit welds.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
                              One advantage of gasless welding is that, well, you don't need to carry a tank. So the setup is more compact if that's important to you. A related advantage of gasless welding is that you can do it when it's very windy outside. In other words, it's good if you're a farmer or are working out in the middle of nowhere.
                              Another advantage is that flux core copes a little better with dirty welds - ie seaming a crossmember or something that's got oil and grime deep inside the joints.
                              "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. So far had a small opportunity to have a play gasless and its actually surprisingly clean if you prep metal/have settings set up correct. For everything else, there are flap discs.... :rotflol: Probably shouldnt have bought a pack of .9 tips given my wire is .8 but anyway, better to have then not in case i get some .9 wire at some point.

Saw some mention of putting silica bags inside the welder to stop wire going rusty, anyone tried this? There was also a tip about putting ear plugs in to clean wire as it goes through but fucked if i know where you would put it.

Any tips to stop the wire from unravelling the minute you try to feed it through the roller?

Cheers

N-
                                1978 Gemini Sedan - Powered by i change my mind every week
                                1980 Gemini Sedan
                                1992 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

Comment

Working...
                                X