Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Angle grinder proliferation

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I've got an ozito 100mm and bought a Bosch 125mm when I built my cage, idea was to use one for flap wheels and one for cutting, but I found myself just using the Bosch for everything, lighter, smaller, less kick, smoother operation. Can easily use for extended periods with one hand. The couple of minutes it takes to swap disks isn't worth the fatigue of using the heavier ozito. If I was using these daily all day I'd buy several Bosch or similar units.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
      I've got an ozito 100mm and bought a Bosch 125mm when I built my cage, idea was to use one for flap wheels and one for cutting, but I found myself just using the Bosch for everything, lighter, smaller, less kick, smoother operation. Can easily use for extended periods with one hand. The couple of minutes it takes to swap disks isn't worth the fatigue of using the heavier ozito. If I was using these daily all day I'd buy several Bosch or similar units.
      yeah quick changeover is good, my old grinder doesn't have a lock button so you need to use the arbour spanner, this one has a lock button but I need to use the nut spanner on it so no advantage there really.

      according to their site the ryobi one I hefted in bunnings is 2.25kg, that's crazy!

      video is up https://youtu.be/G00tu4q_b8Y

      On the topic of ozito (other brands do it too) I can't work out the point of putting a "9" style" handle/trigger on a small grinder like so



      I can't think of any advantage that outweighs making it impossible to use one handed.

      Comment


        #18
        I have one of those Ozito grinders also, it's only use is for cutting.
        Definitely needs two hands, but I like having ten fingers.
        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

        Comment


          #19
          I have a rats tail Makita and its only used for grinding and finishing.....be a pain in the arse for cutting and flapper work.

          Don't mention the adBlocker !!

          Comment


            #20
            Have a 100mm air grinder, use it for finishing up thing's as it is light and small that it can get into tight spaces.

            125mm ryobi cordless that has been fine for everything i need other then run time. but after reading this i might look into a couple corded item's for other item's like polishing and so forth.
            CISCOKIDS
            The Gentlemen's Club
            Midnight Rocker

            Comment


              #21
              We burn through a huge number of angle grinders at work. They are like consumables. We have tried cheap grinders and expensive grinders and the life doesnít correlate to their cost. The angle grinders which seems to have the best life are the Milwaukee 750w 125mm grinders. Only downside is their cords are flimsy pieces of junk. So that gets replaced with a piece of heavy duty extension cord when it fails. The gearbox does tend to get a bit warm with extended use but still seems to last longer than the others. The next best grinder regarding life would probably be the makita 750w 125mm one. We got so sick of the lack of life we started engraving dates on them to see how long they were lasting.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                We burn through a huge number of angle grinders at work. They are like consumables. We have tried cheap grinders and expensive grinders and the life doesnít correlate to their cost. The angle grinders which seems to have the best life are the Milwaukee 750w 125mm grinders. Only downside is their cords are flimsy pieces of junk. So that gets replaced with a piece of heavy duty extension cord when it fails. The gearbox does tend to get a bit warm with extended use but still seems to last longer than the others. The next best grinder regarding life would probably be the makita 750w 125mm one. We got so sick of the lack of life we started engraving dates on them to see how long they were lasting.
                I had wondered, any experience with the bosch grinder mentioned above? doesn't really matter in my case because I don't think I'll even use up the shit one I just bought.

                I figured the "high current" ones would bog down less, I did a comparative cutting test a while ago and it seemed like it would have been faster with a higher powered grinder. I bought a diamond wheel because the thin cutting discs were deflecting too much and wondered if it would work out economically but even brand new it cut so slow that you wouldn't bother, a bit slowerthan a thick cutting wheel at a guess.

                what do they get used for in your setting? my test was pretty shit but it was worth doing, should have tried some garbage wheels too.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I've got the Bosch one posted earlier in the thread. Doesn't get much use but it's pretty fucken good in my eyes.

                  I became a Bosch convert after buying my first green Bosch drill 13 years ago in a Swiss hardware store.

                  Even their cheap shit DIY gear is head & shoulders above the BangLing China stuff.

                  Although I may have that opinion because I'm a closest racist who hates Chinese tools.
                  Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

                  Originally posted by Marv
                  Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
                  Originally posted by nutttr
                  People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

                  Comment


                    #24
                    I find the 100mm grinder is great with a cutting disc or finer grit flap discs. Itís ok for grinding and wire wheel but a 125mm one eats the job compared to the smaller grinder. Use the big one for that. I have a cordless 115mm and itís gutless compared to both and the battery lasts 10 minutes tops but itís quieter and great for random jobs.
                    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons


                    Originally posted by seedyrom
                    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                      I had wondered, any experience with the bosch grinder mentioned above? doesn't really matter in my case because I don't think I'll even use up the shit one I just bought.

                      I figured the "high current" ones would bog down less, I did a comparative cutting test a while ago and it seemed like it would have been faster with a higher powered grinder. I bought a diamond wheel because the thin cutting discs were deflecting too much and wondered if it would work out economically but even brand new it cut so slow that you wouldn't bother, a bit slowerthan a thick cutting wheel at a guess.

                      what do they get used for in your setting? my test was pretty shit but it was worth doing, should have tried some garbage wheels too.
                      Mainly grinding and using norton blaze sanding pads. Most of the time the brushes wear out and take out the armature. What we werenít terribly impressed by was that some of the more expensive grinders didnít have replacement brushes available to purchase.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
                        I've got the Bosch one posted earlier in the thread. Doesn't get much use but it's pretty fucken good in my eyes.
                        cool! the only bosch tool I have is a big hammer drill, it's pretty good. Wouldn't have paid retail for it though,

                        Originally posted by Commotion View Post
                        Mainly grinding and using norton blaze sanding pads. Most of the time the brushes wear out and take out the armature. What we werenít terribly impressed by was that some of the more expensive grinders didnít have replacement brushes available to purchase.
                        how odd, you would assume a heavy duty grinder would chew through brushes quicker with the extra current and more frequent use.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          We use Ryobi cordless stuff and whatever name brand grinder looks hot on the day that's under $100 at Bunnings at work;
                          They normally last 6 months and then get tossed, the Ryobi drill skin is $150 and grinders are sub $100.

                          Its not really worth chasing warranty (time), getting them fixed (time and money) or buying expensive ones - when you factor the tool into the labor it does it becomes disposable. You might burn 2-3 flap discs on a job which will be a 1/4 of what the grinder costs.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            FWIW, i got sick of having grinders lying around today and knocked this up for my proliferation of grinders:


                            Just need some new 3M cable straps to neaten the cables.
                            Chris
                            ------
                            The new nugget
                            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I'm inspired...... is that just a piece of 50mm angle?

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Sprinkles View Post
                                I'm inspired...... is that just a piece of 50mm angle?
                                Yeah, cut up a chunk of 50mm angle, and welded it back to itself. Two holes and bolted it to the shelving frame. Probably could do with some reinforcement of the shelving, as it flexes back and forth a bit, but eh.
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget
                                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X