Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Brake fluid life

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake fluid life

Because I didn't know how much fluid I'd need for my brake-master replacement, I bought 4 x 500mL of it.
    These are Castrol bottles of slightly-better-than-standard, "React Performance" DOT 4 (ie. not the Racing stuff that's 2.5x the price).
    Only used 1L, so have two unopened bottles (manufactured April 2019).

How long should I keep them?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    unopened bottles (manufactured April 2019).

How long should I keep them?
    Untill you need to use some brake fluid again.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Brake fluid flush approx every 2 years, assuming I continue to not-punish it as much as I have thus far; so itís got a >2yr shelf-life?
      I suspected it might not last that long, given all the Stuff you read about using fresh brake fluid.
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Dot 4 deteriorates from exposure to moisture in the air. If you keep the sealed they should be fine for road car use after 2 years.

If you want to be really paranoid, put the unopened bottles in a sealed plastic bag with some silica gel sachets.

Comment

Thanks Sprinkles. :)

Comment

the bottles are sealed (foil seal under the cap), indefinite shelf life.

once opened then the clock starts ticking.
            GT-P
            Bandsenkowagon

Comment

These hadn't been opened (the plastic ring was still attached to the lid, & made the 'crack' sound when opened), but these Castrol bottles don't have a foil seal attached to the top of the bottle. They just seal with the lid; I'm guessing it's compromised when you first crack it open.

Comment

Well, if you cracked the lid open, and screwed it up tight, it's probably still ok for 12 months or more. It's not like it's sitting open to the elements.
                "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Working...
                X