Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Radios - what to get?

CB Radios - what to get?

I'm thinking of getting a CB radio/scanner for car cruises and that kind of thing. In the couple I've been on people have used 40 chanel UHF hand held cb radios. These seemed pretty good but the range is pretty poor, so I was wondering what kind of radios/scanners everyone uses and what they think of them. Under dash isnt really an option as I dont have much dash space to begin with :P.

Is it possible to get CB's with built in scanners too?

Yes, it's possible.

What's your budget?

Tex
    Teh nice guy can never win!

>>>
    if you want a cheap handheld, then the uniden UH-040XR is the way to go.. 0.5W, so about 1-2km range when you're talking car to car.. battery life is great on alkalines, and it's a top quality unit.. $99 from dick smith

if you want an expensive handheld, then the uniden UH-052XR is about $350 and 5W. You'll get pretty far with it, but ultimatley the small areial and the car body will reduce your transmit ability..

..if you want an in-car unit with a scanner, then the GME-TX4400 is definitely the way to go. top quality, 20 user programmable scan channels in the police frequencies. that'll be about $450-550 with an arial.

finally, the uniden UH-013 has all the features of the GME unit, and can scan more frequencies (so you can get fire service, ambulance, etc). i think it's about the same price..
    EMS Cold Start - starts third time, every time.

go the uh013 from uniden, you can have upto 40 scanning channels programmed in like fire, cops, ambulance etc

price is 420 or something like that

i got one for christmas though

I was thinking ~200-250ish, so I guess that rules out ones with built in scanners :/ Ahh well.

mad cow
    They're worth the money. I use a GME TX-3400, remote face, 10 programable channels (you just put in the repeaters for each command) and with a 4.5db mobile phone style aerial you get 8-10 ks range. Once you've used a proper cb it's hard to go back to those handhelds, the voice quality is just appalling on them.

Opens
    yep.. i too followed in the tracks of IMOA's and i'm heaps happy with the GME TX-3400, Works great and i don't even use the CD anymore, just listen to the scanner
    ------------------------------------------------

aah the redneck internet, i will be "logging on" soon , probably middle of the year
    Rustla (AKA Gav)

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, But they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

My Heart Beats In Breakdowns!

Opens
    Don't worry about any of those CB's.... for the money, they're crap. For the same money, you can purchase second hand commercial radios, which are a completely different ball-game.

You want a re-programmed ex-police Phillips PRM8020.

25W of output (regular CB is only 5W) and it leaves 60 channels to be programmed with whatever you want. Police receive only is common. Or, you can have it set up for 5w only, and it will NEVER break!!

try aus.radio.cb or:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....7093&category=

Ahhh Commercial radios - just what people need for cruising within 1km of each other

I used to have a couple of Sawtron 999's - great radios..

It the Phillips FM / PRM models were smaller I would consider one..

I also use the TX3400 like IMOA and Thunderbird1. The remote head unit allows you to mount the main unit hidden somewhere and the remote head takes up hardly any space so you can mount it anywhere.

Creamy Assed 180RallySpec No-Logic's Avatar
    Is it common for people down south to have CB radios in their cars?
    Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss
    a hub doesnt ask who the fuck tremolo is, it just sends it to everyone hoping one of them is tremolo
    '95 Nissan 180SX

Trust Dump / Blitz Front / Drift Exhaust
    Lowered on KYB Shocks/Springs
    Blitz SUSdawg LM Core Pod Filter
    Blitz Super-Sound DD Blow Off Valve
    HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer
    17" Works Wheels
    Stupid Driver

Not that I would really lose much sleep if I bought one but arent scanners illegal?

Are thsoe super wiz bang ones mentuioned with police scanner, 30 channels and 5km radius (gross generalisation I know) compaticble witht he little $100 ones from Tandy/Dick Smith?

I want to get one.
    Project 86
    -------------

Chris Rogers
    gme 3400 or 4400
    3400 has to be programmed from the dealer for 'extra' channels
    tx4400 you can do yourself

need the dick smith scanner freq book as well.

i am pretty sure scanners are illegal, and that it's an offence to evesdrop on police communications...

i say we take the approach of patrols with direction finders, as they did in east germany.

and people wonder why police are excluded from the usage of mobile phone rule whilst driving....

as for a CB radio itself, i've got a small phillips FM that i haven't used in ages, but they're a great radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

mad cow
    They're only illegal if you're using them to avoid the police while committing a crime. So basically if you're the getaway driver from a bankjob be careful, those police are just itching to nab you for using a scanner.

Compatability is based on the frequencies, as long as you are using the same frequency then it doesn't matter what unit you're using. Get a UHF unit and they will work (thats what people use for cruises etc)

or you can go here->http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/reg...arch.main_page and find every radio license in aus, from cops, to fire, to ambo's, to ses, to national park rangers

I use a handheld, an iCom IC40S. 5W/1W switchable, very tough radio, commonly used on construction sites etc. where you need to be able to drop stuff and not have it break. 40 channel plus 20 programmable extra channels. Usually needs to be programmed by a reseller with the correct equipment, but some of us have cluey mates who can make up a suitable cable and find the right software on the Internet and do it for free.

Retail is about $459 but I daresay that if you waved cash in someone's face they'd be able to do about $399 or so for you. Or go second hand, should be able to get one nice and cheap, maybe around $250. A good option for someone who wants a handheld, or doesn't want to mount antennae etc. on their car.

Tex

mad cow
    Originally posted by Chris Rogers

3400 has to be programmed from the dealer for 'extra' channels
    Not if you have the software and cable

Chris Rogers
    some of us are lucky.... ( I have it as well)

Ya wanna make your avatar a bit larger, Chris? I can't quite see it from 50 feet with no glasses on...

Tex

so what if u had one person crusing with one of the better ones with the inbuilt scanner and one person crusin
    with one of the $99 unidens?
    what would hapen? would the uniden be able to hear the other but not have the range to reply?
    4A-GE AE86....Fun

'90 Subaru Liberty Wagon.

*dead* ST141 Wagon daily

*SOLD* TD sLE gemini Turbo!!

check out my band... http://www.hekyl.com.au

Possibly, Jack, depending on the range. Remember, a car body gobbles up a heap of the energy in the transmission, so if we take the example of two handhelds to get a fair comparison, in terms of pure grunt the expensive model will usually outgun the $99 cheapie in power by up to 10x if required - meaning there'd be a much more powerful signal, even after the signal depletion caused by the body of the car is taken in to account.

Factor in also the higher-quality components of the more expensive model, its (probably) larger antenna, and these things can also make a difference.

In reality though, on a cruise in convoy you tend to have visual contact with each other, so it's not often a problem. And if you don't have visual contact, and it's because there's a big hill/some other geographical feature in the way that the radio waves can't penetrate, then the extra power will make no difference at all. UHF is not good when terrain gets in the way, when compared to 27MHz (old-style CB).

Tex

jack, you are on the money pretty much.

if you are close, say withing 1km of each other, you should be able to talk fine to someone with a 'bigger' uhf than the little hand held ones. but because the little units only have 1 watt of power, they can't transmit as far as the in-car units which have normally 5 watts (it is possible to buy a handheld that'll transmit 5 watts, but they're several hundred $$$)

this means that on the little one, you'd be able to pick up what your mate was saying, but couldn't talk back to him.

i'll give you an example
    me and my mate were 4wdriving down near dreamworld at the gold coast, he had a uniden incar unit, and i had one of the $99 unidens. my old man also has an incar unit in his motorhome, and my mate could talk to my old man who was near the hyperdome. i could hear my dad on the little uhf, only faintly, but i couldn't talk back. this was over a range of about 15kms

The cheapies are usually only 500mW or less gat5. I'm pretty sure the Unidens fit this category? Some of the Kenwoods are less again (300mW).

Tex

Phillips

seeing we are on the subject. I have a pair of Phillips handheld 12.5 MHz PRP 1650's plus a dual desktop charger. I've no idea what they are worth. They are in great condition. If anyone is interested they are for sale.

NSW supra club Member
    ive bought a GME TX6000 hand held(dont wont no antennas on my supra).
    5W/1W switchable
    its a 40 channel and has another 20 channels for cops ect... that has to be programmed by the dealer.
    great unit and tried it already on one of the cruises.
    it was around $450(got a deal from a mate)with the programming of cop stations(that usually cost extra)
    93 tt supra,black 6 speed
    --------------------------------
    SINGLE

mmmmmm
    acea9x pm me some details/pics of ur handhelds for sale im interested.
    im keen as to hook up a handheld radio + scanner deals but dont know what to get basiclly.
    those gme tx6000's for instance, from what u guys r saying they seem alright, where do u get those types from?
    like dick smiths or something? lol im just getting in to all this cb stuff so forgive me if i ask stoopid questions.
    cheers
    jack
    4A-GE AE86....Fun

'90 Subaru Liberty Wagon.

*dead* ST141 Wagon daily

*SOLD* TD sLE gemini Turbo!!

check out my band... http://www.hekyl.com.au

Just a note for the cheapo's like me, i just got back from a road trip from Townsville-gold coast and went halves with a mate in a set of the cheapest dicksmith CB's, $89 for the pair. the are only around 400mW, with just three channels, but for the whole trip we had great comms between cars, including when we were out of sight of each other through towns and on the expressway the 3 times we went to brisbane. also fun when we picked up some guys cordless phone conversation in bowen, he freaked out one set of 4 aaa bateries lasted the whole week of the trip, driving quite a bit each day, and they seemed pretty robust, so for those who don't need all those extra features (most of us) they're a great little unit.
    For Sale: 2005 SP23 Leather+Bose+Cruise, 11,800kms, 2 years new car warranty, $28900, PM me or Click here for details!

You guys may have seen my thread on our road trip that we (fiance and I) are going on soon. I was thinking that I might want to get a CB/UHF for the trip, but I don't think I'd really have much use for it after the trip. Would it be worth getting it installed etc for the three week trip we are doing, I mainly want it to keep on top of the cops radar traps and so on from truckies. How much can 2nd hand units usually sell for?? Or for what I want will a newly released (supposedly) handheld GME unit be a better option, they are about $139. I'm going to check out Northfield (I used to work there, so will get a deal) to see what they can do for me.

Chris....can you help out at all??

Kev
    I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.