Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1562

Thread: MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

or get a custom set made by king springs?

Yeah those are better options than keeping what I have, but I'd really like some height adjustability!

Any idea what spring rate the Lovells are? I checked their product catalog and they don't list spring rates anywhere! Kings is the same but at least I can measure mine and calculate it. WTF is this, how are you supposed to decide if a spring is suitable without knowing any of its characteristics apart from its colour??
    Norbie!

Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Im not convinced that the stock lower eye bolt mount can sustain both spring and shock forces. The upper mount is pretty flimsy too.

Tie the cage into the upper mount and box it in and it shoudl be fine. Not sure on the lower mount though.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Yeah this is the style of thing I was talking about earlier, as above the design is a bit suspect as it puts forces where they weren't designed to go.
    Norbie!

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    is a BMW E30 rear adjustable spring kit that would work?

+3 wouldn't be keen using shock mount.

I just took some rough measurements of my Kings springs and came up with 200-210 lb/in (or ~3.7 kg/mm), which does ring a bell actually. That's really soft! At a guess I'd want at least 50% more than that, so around 300 lb/in. I'd love to know what the Lovells springs are but haven't been able to find the information anywhere.

E30 gear I haven't looked into, but if they have similar diameter springs it might be a thing! My springs are about 150mm outer diameter for reference.
    Norbie!

There was a kit built a while back that say on the upper spring mount and allowed for stock springs to be height adjustable.

Like this https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/58365-mx73-rear-adustible-springs-in-gx61/

Except the collar bolted to the upper spring perch using the bump stop bolt.
    Last edited by takai; 04-06-19 at 11:38 AM.

Yeah that BC Racing kit is supposedly still available.... I wonder if you can get just the rear spring setup? Might need to look into that.
    Norbie!

Meanwhile I'm scraping the old paint and rust off the rear subframes:

It's a shit of a job but it has to be done, I'm not putting rusty crap back in my car. I'm trying to push through it as quick as I can so I can get the car back on its wheels, allowing other cars access to the hoist. Still a ways to go but I'm chipping away at it most days.

I'm trying to get all the replacement bushes together that I'll need but it looks like I don't have as many as I hoped. In fact I only seem to have new urethane bushes for the big subframe above, but nothing for the smaller subframe (the one the swaybar attaches to) and no control arm bushes at all. For now I'm going to put it back together with the old bushes but I think I'll need to do something about this at some point. That's assuming replacement bushes are even available any more?
    Norbie!

Nice one, thanks!
    Norbie!

Supercheap currently has a sale on Superpro gear so I thought I'd pick up some new bushes for the rear suspension. I'm a bit confused about which ones to order for the rear control arms though, there appear to be two listings and it's not clear which one is correct:

SPF3180K
    SPF1213K

I think one needs to re-use the original shell and the other doesn't, or something like that. Can anyone shed light on this? What's the difference and which one should I get?
    Norbie!

i have the info, it was very confusing back in the day i can look it up when i get home. I remember specifically writing it down because it was a headfuck. well i hope i still have it.

mine were the ones that didnt need the shells, they ended up stuck in the control arm and i had to cut them out with a hacksaw, was a punish.

Easy, have you touched the bushes yet?
    Last edited by japlish; 12-06-19 at 02:59 PM.

Any and all info much appreciated!

I haven't done anything with the control arms yet, bushes are still intact.
    Norbie!

Then just get the spf1213K - there is a pdf on the superpro page to tell you what to do too - (i used to work @superpro)
    p.s looks like fulcrum are out of stock on both....it MAY be 4weeks until they can supply some - make a supercheap store check availability with fulcrum
    Last edited by japlish; 12-06-19 at 03:07 PM.

scanned this after i'd done it.

Many thanks chaps, I've placed an order and hopefully I'll figure out what to do when it all arrives.
    Norbie!

A box of Superpro gear arrived this morning, that was quick! Hopefully it's the right stuff, I'll check that out over the weekend.
    Norbie!

Looks like the Superpro gear I bought is the right stuff, it all looks like pretty much the right size and shape.

Diff mount bushes:

Subframe bushes:

Trailing arm bushes:

I haven't figured out how to get the old trailing arm bushes out yet, I'm assuming a press is involved?

I'm also working on cleaning up the rear wheelarches ready for new paint and anti chip coating, there was lots of dirt debris and general crustiness under there, and also a fair amount of melted rubber, not sure how that got there?

I'm also planning to do the same to the rear section of the floorpan since I have the subframes etc out of the way, so that's getting a thorough clean as well. Making a bit of a mess of the shed floor, but there's no way I'm doing this with the car on the ground, it's getting done on the hoist or not at all!

It's slow and messy work, but should be worthwhile. I've found little bits of surface rust all over the place which I'm sure would have developed into something more serious if not dealt with, so I might as well deal with it now. It's never going to be easier to get at everything!
    Norbie!

If you dont have a press or a hot enough oxy torch than make a fire and shove the arm in the white hot coals - wont smoke as much either....

I do have a press as it happens! It's only a little one but hopefully it will get the job done. It's a bit of an awkward shape to work with though...
    Norbie!

Hole saw, drill it out.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Press works, as does a 2 jaw puller if you have one with long enough jaws.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

did it with a supershit press just get a bunch of different pipe off cuts and slugs and stuff and yeah will be awkward but not impossible.

Thanks chaps, I'll have a go with my press and see what happens. Hopefully not ruined control arms, but we shall see.

Meanwhile I made another impulse purchase, this time it was a HKS dual plate clutch which popped up in one of my Facebook groups. The seller says it will need a rebuild soon but has a bit of life left in it, but for $400 for the lot (including shipping) I thought it was worth the gamble:

My existing clutch setup was basically a stock single plate with increased clamp pressure, and it was slipping with the old setup so definitely wouldn't be up to the job with the new setup. I'm not sure what this clutch is capable of but it would have to be better than what I had? I hope so anyway!
    Norbie!

I have one of those, direct clutch in Brisbane rebuilt it fairly cheaply.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Yeah, they tended to need to be rebuilt before going in the whole for the first time.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Some important progress happened yesterday thanks to Pete (Rz) who spent the day in my shed getting shit done. The mission was to get a short but complicated bit of intercooler piping fabricated and welded into the radiator panel.

Here's the hole I'd made earlier, with the surrounding paint sanded off for welding purposes:

I had some pre-fabricated stainless bends with bead rolled ends which we cut off for use on the new pipe; I've abandoned my old idea of using V-band joins, too complicated in the available space. Note the safe operation of the angle grinder, and the safety boots:

I've never learned to weld properly, but why bother when this guy does it better than I ever will?

Marking out the final position, with the intercooler in its approximate location for reference:

The finished piece, with the surface roughed up a bit so I can paint it later:

Finished! We didn't bother welding it the whole way around, this isn't a structural component and it's plenty strong enough like this:

Getting this done was harder than it looks because of all the constraints - on one side we had to clear the radiator with enough room to get a silicone joiner + clamp on, and on the other wide we had to clear the popup headlight mechanism above, the headlight bracket on one side, and the bumper bracket below (not pictured but it sits on top of the chassis rail), plus we had to allow enough room for another 180 degree section of pipe to join this one to the intercooler inlet under the chassis rail. I'm pretty sure we got it all right but I won't know for sure until final assembly of the whole system. Fingers crossed!

Speaking of final assembly, this is an important milestone because I was waiting to do this before re-installing the engine. I just need to paint the exposed metal on the radiator panel and the pipe on the engine bay side (both will be white), then it's time to drop the engine in. Exciting times!

Oh and Pete took my rear suspension subframe with him so he can weld on the brackets for the camber mod, and hopefully he'll be able to arrange sandblasting + powdercoating for the finished assembly. So that's more progress happening without me having to do anything. I call that a win!
    Last edited by Norbie; 11-07-19 at 10:19 AM.
    Norbie!