Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Bluey MX5 Race Car

I've not raced this car seriously since 2010. It's just been doing track days mainly. Needed a signature to keep my CAMS license, so I changed the oil, fitted some ancient semis and headed out to Morgan Park on the weekend. Ended up having some epic battles in 2F class with some other MX5's and a GT86. Shaved 2 seconds off my PB in the process. Can't really explain that, other than I tried very hard indeed to keep up with the current crop of 2F machines in a car that hasn't had any development since 2007.

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Awesome work Cal that's a big chunk of time to make up- I reckon it's due to global warming. Where are the in-car vids?

Great work mate. There's been a recent resurface hasn't there?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Good work mate. When was the last time you raced at MP? Did you get much rain? No that it would have bothered you much with the hardtop

My CAMS licence is due for renewal next month but seriously considering not bothering. Problem is I'm likely to get a call out of the blue one day from Tony or someone to head to SMSP or PI.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Awesome work Cal that's a big chunk of time to make up- I reckon it's due to global warming. Where are the in-car vids?
    Home PC shat itself Friday night. Once fixed I'll sort the incar.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Great work mate. There's been a recent resurface hasn't there?
    Yep. No idea how much time that's worth, but it's smoother than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Good work mate. When was the last time you raced at MP? Did you get much rain? No that it would have bothered you much with the hardtop

My CAMS licence is due for renewal next month but seriously considering not bothering. Problem is I'm likely to get a call out of the blue one day from Tony or someone to head to SMSP or PI.
    I did 2 track days there last year with the old man, but I've not raced there in this car since September 2010. Did the 1hr in 2011 with Simon in Kermit.

I still hold delusions of affording to do something at the Nurburgring, for which I'd require an international license. So got to get those sigs. They lost my license yesterday, so I'll need to chase that up.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Yep. No idea how much time that's worth, but it's smoother than ever.
    I hear it's worth 3 seconds :P
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Hahaha, wasn't trying to be a seahunt. Can't see it making up more than a second or so.

My Italian 510

I'd have to ask the other guys, but I'd say a second was the resurface and a second was pushing stupid hard on old fucked tyres.

Bluey had a cracker weekend at QR racing in the Prod Sports MX5/GT86 category. Two 4ths & a 3rd and PB's on both the Clubman & National circuits. Sadly I blew the gearbox on the final lap of the first race yesterday. Still managed to drive home with no third gear!

Need an update!

My Italian 510

Motivate me to get it out. One of the MX5/BMW/Porsche club track days?

Sounds good. Or a time attack day?

My Italian 510

Good thing about the club days is there are no heros.

I actually found time attack days good for that as opposed to the public sprints which are/were full of fuckwits. The guys 2 seconds a lap slower but think they're having a great battle with you as they hose you down the straights.

My Italian 510

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Same, as one of the slowest out there in time Attack Iíve found everyone pretty easy to get on with and they tend to leave you to it especially in the arvo sessions
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Yep no problems with the Time Attack events, very well run.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Did a wheel bearing at Lakeside in November and hadn't gotten around to being bothered fixing it. Got it sorted and headed to Morgan Park yesterday to drive Paul Stokell's Radical. Took Bluey up so dad could familiarise himself with the track before jumping in the SR3. I forgot how much fun this thing is there.

Was the aero car fun?

Was the aero car fun?
    Yes rather. In fact I think I'll hire it again sometime. I have 5 seconds to find.

Yes rather. In fact I think I'll hire it again sometime. I have 5 seconds to find.
    On the long track?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Yep the full K circuit.

Have you heard of wheel bearing failures being abnormally common on MX5's? We have done two left fronts on ours (mainly clockwise tracks) and I'm kind of wondering if it is a bit of an inherent weakness or just something in our specific setup. It's like the most unreliable part of the car!

I wish I could fit into real race cars

I have only had wheel bearing issue on my silver car that was double stock power, aero, etc. Other MX5's have taken years of abuse with no issues.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Opens
    How available are genuine hubs....not Chinese rubbish? Rx8s and Rx7s seem to suffer unending issues with some of the stuff offered as replacements.

I wish I could fit into real race cars
    You'd fit into this. I had an insert that was about 10cm thick and I could only just get full throttle. With that removed, you'd be fine Lurch.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    I have only had wheel bearing issue on my silver car that was double stock power, aero, etc. Other MX5's have taken years of abuse with no issues.
    This was a 190000km road car when I built it into a race car in 2006 and I didn't replace the bearings then. It has been raced on just about every circuit on the East coast, most many times and this is the first time I've ever done one.

The pedal box is adjustable, steering column has 3 heights settings and seat position adjustable also.

Thanks for the comments, I thought that might be the case. It probably did 8 events/3 years between the two failures so it's not like it is happening all the time but it just seemed a bit odd to me. Will have to investigate a bit further then if it happens again.