Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bluey MX5 Race Car

Some really good pics there and that really highlighted to me the poise and balance of these cars.
    Jeez that looks like fun just ringing the piss out of that little donk on a big race track.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Any more meetings coming up soon Cal ?
    We are having the first ever MX5 nationals at Morgan Park over the Queen's B'day long weekend. Should be a blast. We are expecting 45+ race cars and also regularity. We are running 2 x 8 lap, 4 x 10 lap + 2 x 12 lap races over 2 days.

After that I'll be doing the FOSC meeting on the Oran Park GP circuit on the 25th & 26th of July. Probably the last chace to race on that magnificent track.

Quote Originally Posted by xwgasaxe View Post
    Some really good pics there and that really highlighted to me the poise and balance of these cars.
    Jeez that looks like fun just ringing the piss out of that little donk on a big race track.
    They go alright in a straight line too. One of the guys I race with took his car to the drags the other week for a laugh. It's got exactly the same specs as mine and he'd never been on a drag strip before....ran a 13.6 on his first go.
    Last edited by Cal; 22-05-09 at 01:03 PM.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

I just received Nafe's awesome images from FOSC Bathurst. Here are a few favourites.

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I just received Nafe's awesome images from FOSC Bathurst. Here are a few favourites.

Almost looks fast there mate :P
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

At least it didn't just hit a massive rock and catch fire.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    That must be one fast (black) Healey!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Looking at qualifying that would have got him there for that first race, it looks like he was about 9 seconds slower. Pretty impressive for a 1955 100/4 no doubt. He is in class 2B though.

At least it didn't just hit a massive rock and catch fire.
    Whatever Captain Shiny-Tyres :P
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Looking at qualifying that would have got him there for that first race, it looks like he was about 9 seconds slower. Pretty impressive for a 1955 100/4 no doubt. He is in class 2B though.
    Definitely.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Hey Cal,
    Just out of interest, what ecu would you recommend for my mx5?
    and what radiator do you have?
    www.unigroup.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by niSSSan View Post
    works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

I use a Haltech E8.

PWR alloy radiator. One of the best mods I ever made to the car.

PWR alloy radiator. One of the best mods I ever made to the car.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say that ?

Because it used to overheat if sitting too close to the car in front, if it was 35 degrees outside, if it decided to ect. Firstly I wasted money fitting the thicker factory radiator from an automatic. That cooled things down slightly. Once I fitted the PWR I was even able to ditch the oil cooler. It's never got close to hot ever again.

パワーチップません - No Powerchip! bernie-rx7's Avatar
    I had similar results with my rx7 replacement in the S7...PWR make some very good off the shelf radiators.
    Toys List
    1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
    1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
    1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
    1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
    1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
    1980 Maico 440
    1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
    1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
    1983 Honda CR480
    1989 Honda CR500
    1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
    1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
    1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
    2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
    2006 Husqvarna TE450

Nice photos mate. Hopefully I'll have some similar ones this time next year

I haven't been racing my car much this year. I've been driving Tony Bonanno's 2B turbo in the Prod Sports 1hr series. Here is a shot I took of the car in the pits at Eastern Creek. Do any of you photoshop gurus know how to clean up the colours? It was shot on film and scanned.

Yep, noticed your car for sale on cartalk. Pity for me its so expensive (read: good).

I mean, nope I don't know how to clean up the colours.

Quote Originally Posted by stb View Post
    Yep, noticed your car for sale on cartalk. Pity for me its so expensive (read: good).
    It's not really for sale. I found a turbo I thought about buying and thought I'd go fishing for a buyer. If I got my money I would have sold it, but nobody is buying race cars at the minute. I will pull the ad soon.

Yours is a bloody nice car Cal - what sort of dollars are you chasing ?

It'd have to be one of the sweetest 2F cars out there surely ?
    The older i get, the better i was...

Cheers Paul. I put $25K on it. Tony B sold his 2F car recently for that price. It had pretty much the same gear as mine and was also an Australian delivered road registered car. That was attractive to the guy who bought it.

It makes sense having them regoed i guess ? 25k isn't unreasonable given the bang for buck...

So the lure of a turbo car is getting stronger i take it ?
    The older i get, the better i was...

I made the offer over the weekend and we will seal the deal today.

So you're doing a deal on the turbo car today?

Who's is it, Brians, Raddatzs, Whitakers?

Hope you got a good contact for gearboxes, I think Tony's out of them

Have you sold your car? Had any enquireis?

It's now done. Brian's car. Tony and I went halves. I'll be keeping mine now.

Good stuff.

Never really had a good look at Brians car when it was up here, but it seemed to go ok

Can't afford this and the turbo. For sale: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67246611

Awesome read Cal - I've really enjoyed trolling through the last 4 pages of your progression.

You have inspired my thinking to look into an MX5 instead of AE86 for my track hack to build (even if they are gayer than aids - read that in here somewhere) I'm not looking to race at the level you are - just a weekend occasional bash
    It would be strange for me to own one however - the wife had one for a few years and I've always associated them as a womans car I remember it being well balanced - just gutless (hers was stock 1.6). I took it to Mt Cotton a few times.

So realistically what is the bare minimum spec to go sprint racing to start with - and Gatton/Leyburn etc? To be half decent?

I'm guessing in order:

Wheels and Tyres
    Coilovers
    Brakes
    Swaybars
    Exhaust
    rebuilt motor - but to what spec and level?
    Aftermarket ECU and hardware to match
    cage
    coolers

Anything else?

And the how long is a piece of string - $$ for each?

I plan to be a slow project for me and am looking to buy a straight road car and have a play at a few sprint days then take it off the road and strip it in the shed and have the above done in stages. I want it to stay regoed

Its obviously better to find a 1.8ltr to start with? Any hints, or known examples?

Cheers
    Pete
    'Lifes pretty straight without twisties'

1.8's have the bigger brakes but can do a conversion for 1.6's easy

if you buy a 1.6L say anywhere from 6k - put in a bonds roll bar or something, suspension (up to 2k for ok coilovers or springs and shocks and 4k for really good coilovers)

get the 1.8L brakes

exhaust and intake will set you back say maybe 1500

seat a few houndred and harness

lots of stuff out there second hand and on ebay!

that would be a fun car for track days, however to be at the pointy end of supersprints you'd need cams, ECU and maybe some headwork - even a good rebuild - would cost anywhere from 5k to 10k.
    www.unigroup.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by niSSSan View Post
    works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

Quote Originally Posted by evil_weevil View Post
    up to 2k for ok coilovers or springs and shocks and 4k for good coilovers
    Fixed.
    Really good shocks are in the $1500 a corner up bracket...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 12-01-10 at 12:29 PM.