Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bluey MX5 Race Car

ah there you go!
    www.unigroup.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by niSSSan View Post
    works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

A mate of mine is looking at selling his 1994 Clubman soon. It already has Tein coilovers, 16" wheels and tyres, a Brown Davis rollbar, LSD, exhaust, the big brakes, Nardi wheel ect. It's quite a nice car and you'd probably buy it for $12-13K or so.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    A mate of mine is looking at selling his 1994 Clubman soon. It already has Tein coilovers, 16" wheels and tyres, a Brown Davis rollbar, LSD, exhaust, the big brakes, Nardi wheel ect. It's quite a nice car and you'd probably buy it for $12-13K or so.
    Sounds Great!

Unfortunatley the reason I was going to build one was two fold -
    a) something for me and son(s) to do together
    b) Less outlay to start with and pay as I go

The $5-6k mark was where I was looking for a stock car (went and had a look at a dealership who had a blue 1991 1.6 with 194k's - very clean and traight - went for $5700 on eBay)

That said - if much of the work is done then its cheaper in the long run eh!
    When was he looking to sell? Is it being tracked already or is it a road car? K's motor condition?
    'Lifes pretty straight without twisties'

You seriously want to start with an NA8. You get the 1.8, the brakes and the diff. All can be changed on a 1.6, but it will cost the same + the labour involved. It's just not worth the hassle. If you do buy a 1.6 keep the motor and just do the brakes and diff conversion. If you are not going to give it too much power don't even worry about the diff.

Brad's car is a road car set up for the occassional track day he never got around too. I think he did 2. The car has done about 200000kms I believe. He is in Adelaide for the next 10 days and then back in Brisbane. He is selling because it's their only car and they are thinking of making babies.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Thanks Cal,

Can you get him to send pics and details on his return?

So whats wrong with this?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...d=125EBA52CF07

Apart from the wheels belonging at the bottom of the ocean - is it an import? I thought 1993 was the start of the 1.8's?

cal love your car mate, when Im done with my TX3 trackcar(into a wall) a MX5 club car will replace it for sure.
    Have seen mx5 race cars on my105.com for $10k (minus engine) which is decent,just throw an engine in it and go racing!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the BP1800 engine go very good in semi standard form so im sure a well built/tuned race engine would be a weapon in an Mx5.

I WANT ONE
    Last edited by JIMMBO; 12-01-10 at 02:12 PM.

I will do, can you PM your email address?

The 1.8 (NA8) came out late in 1993, most are 94-96 and a handful of 97's. It's probably an import and it's been resprayed too.

Thanks mate. I like your Esky.
    Last edited by Cal; 12-01-10 at 02:12 PM.

A nice little video from Lakeside this month, shot by the guy I'm dicing for the championship with. Some great rear facing incar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4xA...layer_embedded

That's cool. Love the understeer @ 1:41

nudder dirte30 fanboy
    That is a great video! looks like alot of fun, the racing is pretty tight.

A nice little video from Lakeside this month, shot by the guy I'm dicing for the championship with. Some great rear facing incar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4xA...layer_embedded
    Cool vid Cal

When are you guys next at Lakeside and Morgan Park?
    I do not like V slicers.

"Give it the full rissole son" random old mate 2011

"If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical" Hoops 2007

Quote Originally Posted by matt b View Post
    Cool vid Cal

When are you guys next at Lakeside and Morgan Park?
    Morgan Park - September 25th & 26th

Lakeside - November 14th
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    That's cool. Love the understeer @ 1:41
    Closely followed by 4 wheel drift.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Morgan Park - September 25th & 26th

Lakeside - November 14th
    Thanks mate
    I do not like V slicers.

"Give it the full rissole son" random old mate 2011

"If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical" Hoops 2007

Geoff Marsh is Boags isn't he? Isn't this pretty much his first season?
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Yep, Geoff is Boags.

It's his first season racing with our Prodsports group. Not sure how much previous experience he has but he's a decent steerer.

He's been leasing a car from GP cars for this years season, and performance wise there's not much between that car and Cals.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

A shot from the Morgan Park 1hr on the new circuit on the last weekend in September.

Photo by Marcel Stawiczny

You're certainly up there.

How'd it go and what did you think of the new track?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    How'd it go
    Crunchy.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

You're certainly up there.

How'd it go and what did you think of the new track?
    Words can not explain what an improvement the new circuit is. I will certainly be venturing up there more often.

Neil co-drove with me like in the good old days. We were doing really well in the torrential rain of Friday and Saturday morning. As it dried out we fell back a bit due to a couple of factors. That shot was taken during my 5 lap sprint race on Saturday afternoon.

In the 1hr on Sunday we were in a good class battle and I pitted for the driver change at about 1/2 distance. Neil took over and the gearbox blew on the 38th minute. Rather than try and drive it another 22 minutes in 2nd, 4th and 5th he bought it in. So after 4 years of solid competition and countless races she suffered her first ever DNF.

A new box went in last Saturday and we are off to Lakeside on Sunday to see if I can take the Qld Prod Sports title for the year. I'm leading at the moment, but only just. My main opposition has been getting faster all year. There is a set of tyres up for grabs, so wish me luck!

Going well!! That's a good innings out of the box.

Good luck for Sunday, would have liked to have come out for a look see but I'll be at a mate's bucks so won't be able to make it.

That shot was taken during my 5 lap sprint race on Saturday afternoon.
    Ah yes, I see me lurking in the back ground there (62). Must have had a good start to get in front of the two Ashs. Was a cracker of a race once I tagged onto the back of you.

Not sure were we'll be in Tonys turbo car on Sunday, but I'll do my best to help you out
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Going well!! That's a good innings out of the box.
    Especially considering the the car had done 193000kms when I turned it into a race car and the box has never been touched. Plus one day I dumped the oil in it and forgot to fill it up again, drove it over for a dyno tune, home again and then out to QR the next day. Half way there I wondered what the werring noise was. Then it dawned on me! That was 2 years ago. It's done very well.

Yes Paul that was a cracker. Pity you didn't have your camera on. Hurry up and get an engine so we can repeat the exercise.

http://www.marsta.com/search/100926M...1009251161.php

Another good photo, me up your tailpipe

New motor hopefully coming over the off season.
    Last edited by TCR; 11-11-10 at 10:43 AM.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Well I managed to pull it off. Took the Qld Prod Sports title at Lakeside yesterday. Not bad for a road car. It was a hard fought 5 rounds. My closest rival was much faster in times yesterday, but a number of silly mistakes cost him a shot at the championship. Here is a photo someone took of a pack of us coming under the bridge.

Photo by Mark Jones
    Last edited by Cal; 15-11-10 at 08:55 AM.

Well I managed to pull it off. Took the Qld Prod Sports title at Lakeside yesterday. Not bad for a road car. It was a hard fought 5 rounds. My closest rival was much faster in times yesterday, but a number of silly mistakes cost him a shot at the championship. Here is a photo someone took of a pack of us coming under the bridge.

Once again, well done mate.

I certainly had an up and down day. New pb of 63 flat in my last run in the NA with the standard engine, then a run in with the Kamikaze at the kink in the turbo car at 180kph in the first race, an ordinary second race in the NA and then a 3rd outright in the turbo car in the last.

Can't see much getting close to that C6 Corvette of Fanes next year in 2B, but 2F should be interesting.

Who took the photo?
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

I call BS Cal,

Came to cheer you on, but every pic I got - you were behind someone

..................kidding

Nice effort - was gonna pop over and say hi, but you looked pretty popular already with your entourage

Pity about the 308GTB stack,

Dayyum that C6 Vette and the Orange torana were quick on the day

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Once again, well done mate.

I certainly had an up and down day. New pb of 63 flat in my last run in the NA with the standard engine, then a run in with the Kamikaze at the kink in the turbo car at 180kph in the first race, an ordinary second race in the NA and then a 3rd outright in the turbo car in the last.

Can't see much getting close to that C6 Corvette of Fanes next year in 2B, but 2F should be interesting.

Who took the photo?
    Have one for you too TCR, sorry still need to buy a long lens, also sorry you are behind Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
    Have one for you too TCR, sorry still need to buy a long lens, also sorry you are behind Cal
    Thanks mate but I think that's Paul Dalton. My NA is white but has a matt black hardtop (No 7). I was hoping someone got some shots of the turbo car I drove in a couple of races, dark blue NB with no roof (No 2)??
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

My bad, sorry

No pics of No 2 - but loved the duct tape numbering