Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 MS75 Toyota Crown Hardtop-1FZ-FE turbo

1972 MS75 Toyota Crown Hardtop-1FZ-FE turbo

Right-this is cut + paste from Toymods as I can't be asked.

Enjoy, ridicule or otherwise.

Well.

I've finally pulled my finger out.

Car Toyota Crown Hardtop
    Year 1972

Mechanicals

Engine
    1FZ-FE from 80 series Landcruiser
    Long motor is internally stock apart from-
    • ARP head studs (from 2JZ)
    • Modified combustion chambers to drop compression
    • Cams retarded 3 degrees
    • Modifed oil pickup + custom shallow sump (10L)

Intake system
    100 series stub manifold, modified for 6 extra injectors and second fuel rail
    11L plenum chamber with bell-mouth plate on floor
    Standard Landcruiser throttle-body

Fuel system
    2X Bosch ‘044’ motorsport pumps
    2 standard fuel rails (running counter-flow)
    2 standard fuel pressure regs
    ½ in feed and return lines
    Boot mounted fuel cell (12 gallon)

Ignition system
    Standard distributor
    Top-Gun 5.5mm leads
    Crane CDI and PS-92 coil

ECU
    Autronic SMC

Hot side
    Custom steam pipe manifold
    Plain bearing GT42 (74mm inducer-‘1000 hp’) with GT45 turbine housing.
    2 38mm Tial external wastegates
    SMC Precision pressure regulator for boost control
    4 inch side exit exhaust
    2X screamer pipes off the external gates

Davies Craig Electric Water Pump
    EA falcon header tank
    Triple core radiator (commodore 454 unit)

Transmission
    Modified Toyota A340 4-spd auto
    Standard stall converter
    Manual shift box
    Cressida shifter
    Large trans cooler with thermo-fans

Custom 3 inch tail shaft with h/duty unis

Diff
    R31 Skyline (Borg-Warner 78)
    28 spline axles
    LSD
    3.23:1 ratio
    Double sway bar
    Adjustable length custom control arms
    Custom Urethane bushes

Brakes
    Front-MS123 Crown (not big enough)
    Rear-Skyline
    Deist Parachute

Interior
    Mostly gutted now
    Momo racing seat
    6-point weld-in roll cage
    5-point harness
    Window net
    (car is ANDRA tech inspected)
    Tacho, boost guage etc

Best Dyno result 446 kW@22psi boost (dip in dyno chart is valvesprings giving out)
    Best ¼ mile time 10.23@140.56mph (WSID may 2006)

Jobs currently being done-
    New Valvesprings (stock ones give up at 22psi or so-limiting power)
    O-rings for block and receiver grooves for head
    Copper head gasket
    Edelbrock 100hp fogger nitrous system
    3000 stall converter to allow launching.

Once AIR is open again I’ll get back out and have a crack at a mid 9. I'm also planning for the the dyno comp at the Extremehorsepower show in october to be the first outing with the NOS and valvesprings sorted.

Cheers
    Sean
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

My guess is that the glue should last many years more purely due to the fact I really don't use the car much. (No drag strip in SA makes baby jesus cry)

And yes-I've had the plenum welded up again with some external gusset straps along the offending edge. (note to self-make pressure vessel with rounded edges next time...derr)

These are the tyres I've used-the skinny ones are the 225/70 simexes that I ran 11.21@130 on, the Drag radials I've run 10.7 on, but I haven't used them in ages, and the slicks were what it ran the 10.2 on, although it spun them through first and most of second.

This is the pressure reg that I use to turn 7.5psi spring gates into any pressure I like-and it combats creep until 7.5psi before the set-point.

This is a shot showing the custom sump. Note the angle on which I've got the trans so it could be connected to the cruiser motor.(angle dictated by the starter really)

This is what's in the bottom of the plenum-radiused plate to improve airflow

Roll cage when I got it back from Maddat.
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

Yep-she's dead boys.

I am relatively sure from the way it went that it just bent a rod and kicked it out. (possibly holes in both sides of the block from number 3 rod-and a hole in the sump) On the bright side, I suspect damage is limited to the bottom end.

It went at well over 100mph, put oil under the tyres and got well out of shape. It was a scary moment indeed.

1st run the car spun the BFG Drag Radials for the entire 400m for an 11.3@135 (no nitrous or converter lock)

2nd run the car smashed the second gear sprag and the run was aborted. (2nd gear is the weak link in the A340, and it looked like I reached the limit of the strengthened box from MV Autos)

I called Mike from MV's to confirm second was stuffed. He said to shift 1st to third.

We put the slicks on and I went out again. I started gently, and shifted 1st to 3rd and then stomped it. It went into warp and the slicks held on. A bit before 1/2 track I hit the gas and it pinned me to the seat, turning the tyres at probably 100mph. The fun lasted maybe 2 secs until the car really loaded up and then BANG. The car stepped sideways as the oil went under the tyres, then I hit the picks. I shut it down, rolled through the beams and caught my breath. I initially thought I had an underbonnet fire as there was smoke, but it was from engine oil on the exhaust. I jumped out and had a look under the car at a big pool of oil.

Bugger.

Even with no launch, shifting 1st to third and losing the motor just after 1/2 track it stll ran 11.8.

I have all this on tape from the sartline.

As Clive said-at 4.5 time stock power it was about time. I got 3.5 years of fun out of the original motor (it still has-well had-all the parts it left the factory with) and it took me from 211 rwkw to 538rwkw-albeit briefly .

The 140mph trap at WSID and weight gave 720hp at the engine, and it had 425rwkw on the dyno the day before we left for WSID. Using that same relationship, the 538rwkw from last wednesday converts to 920hp at the engine. A mighty feat for a standard motor-even if briefly-but obviously a big ask, and I was well aware of that.

I think we can safely say that the limits of a stock 1FZ have been established.

Now it's time to get serious. Built engine, Powerglide, transbrake. 1100-1200 hp is now on the cards.

Dyno sheets for the 1FZs most successful and final tuning session. Car was running 26 psi and approx 100hp worth of Nitrous through a single point fogger nozzle.

The aftermath of what happened when it loaded up in top gear at Heathcote.

Supercrown 1, Heathcote clean-up crew Nil (and rather unimpressed…..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QS7MrBYrqE

Video of final voyage of the much abused 1FZ.

Special comments courtesy of my brother in law.

Considering that now all the stuff I've been doing to get a forged motor into the car is now happening, (I've now got confirmation from the shipping company...) I figure it's about time for an update.

Firstly, my mate dropped this around tonight. A Nissan Infinity 100mm throttle body. ($150!!!!!) It's in prime nick and will be replacing the 65mm stock landcruiser on there currently.

Max my faithful helper is included for scale.

Again, the nitrous jet will be mounted in the throttle body-this time to be used to get whatever monster blower I go for up onto the converter. (and a little bit more hp obviously )

This will mount to the existing plenum chamber as I'm pretty confident that the original design will flow as much as I can get in there. The 100 series cruiser stub manifold will remain the same as the passages in it are huge already. Also, this plenum/manifold has spots for 12 injectors-I just need to upgrade from 2 rows of 500's to two rows of 1000's which is just a bolt-in job-although I may change to a big external fuel press regulator from the current set-up with 1 reg for each injector rail.

Now-as for the motor itself-here's the good part. Last december I was contacting workshops in the middle-east, trying to track down the legendary MLS head gaskets for 1FZ I had seen pics of. I contacted these guys www.bspturbo.com in Dubai and got a reply saying that yes, they had them, and that I could buy one. Killer.

However, they also said that they had a full house race 1FZ sitting on the floor of the workshop that was built 3 years before for a customer who had never paid for it. The workshop manager wanted to get out of 4wds as they were now focussing on ferrari, lambo, porsche, BMW etc, and offered me the motor and all their remaining 1FZ parts for a price I couldn't refuse. Basically, I couldn't build the motor for less than twice what he wanted, plus there was a HEAP of other stuff. I then did research on the manager (a kiwi) and workshop, checked their references here in Aus and the USA and then arranged shipment of a 350kg, 1000x1200x700 pallet containing the motor and all spares from Dubai, UAE, here to Port Adelaide and transferred the funds to an intermediary here in Aus. (security arrangement)

Coming at minimum (and I'll get an finalised goods schedule from BSP when they hand it to the people picking the pallet up from BSP) is the following

1FZ long motor
    heavily ported
    Custom aftermarket billet cams
    CROWER conrods
    ROSS forged pistons
    gapless rings
    all balanced/blueprinted (this is their 1000hp+ long motor)
    New bearings etc etc
    All totally re-cond/rebuilt, never started.

Plus (but wait, there's more)
    spare 6 new CROWER rods
    spare 6 new ROSS pistons
    2 stock head gaskets
    3 MLS headgaskets ($750 aus each alone)
    6 spare stock pistons
    6 spare stock rods
    80 series cruiser intake manifold, modified to run 12 injectors-with 12 stock injectors in it
    a new 100 series cruiser engine bay loom
    plus whatever 1FZ bearings etc they found when they pulled the workshop apart to find it all and send it to me.

It should be on the boat today, and be here in adelaide in 35 days.

When it gets here, I'm stripping it all down to check/confirm everything, and maybe put even bigger cams and 1/2 in head studs, using one of these http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html and then putting it all back together and running it with the turbo and manifolding as it was to see what gains we get from the head flow and cams. (car will be running a full-house Autronic SM4 too-up from the SMC)
    Once that's done, new exhaust manifold goes on, new turbo (somewhere between GT55 1500hp and GT60 2000hp), bigger injectors, infinity throttle body and 30+psi.

All this will take some time and I can see there not being any money in the kitty to race interstate anytime soon.

Also, at this stage we're going to stick with the Toyota transmission as MV autos still have a couple of tricks up the sleeve in terms of increasing the strength, and also if I go to a powerglide I lose my tricky lock-up converter that is so good for dyno tuning and dyno comps. Also, one of these days when we actually get to do some testing at a drag strip I want to see if I can hit the lock-up in the deep end for some more MPH(besides-going from 4 gears to 2 is gay wit aidz) It also occurred to me that with a 2.77 diff, 28inch tyres, the .68 overdrive and lock-up that the car would be fun to take to the salt flats for speedweek in the next couple of years.

On the control side-I'm going from an Autronic SMC to an SM4 (full autotune as std). The SMC was faultless for 4 years, but it was getting to the point where 2 outputs wasn't enough. One of the things we need is to be able to step the boost according to gear to run some good times on the Drag radials. Even with the power it had 12 months ago, as soon as the boost hit in 1st or second the BFGs would just smoke. The aim will be to try and launch on the trans brake in first with, say, 8psi on board-or whatever is the max boost it will run and not blacktrack. (this will depend on the track-and you adjust it according to available grip). Then in second gear more boost is increased and finally in top gear everything should be in. In addition, when Autronic has it sorted, we'll be able to use traction control and dial in maximum slip % allowable before the ECU begins to pull some power out. It should also be able to run the NOS and trigger the lock-up clutch, as well as give me antilag on the startline. It'll be a lot of shit to fuck around with, but the SM4 should allow the car to be a bit more refined-as opposed to just being big, powerful and fucking difficult to control.

I envisage that it will probably be up to 12 months before the cars 4th major upgrade is complete-but I'll be posting crap up as I go-and it will include lots more backyard DIY stuff-like rear-end change/possibly tubs, fibreglass hood/boot, recessing the firewall to allow the motor to sit back another 4-6 inches so I can finally fit some decent fucken thermo fans plus lots of other crap.

At the same time, I will be attempting to renovate the house as that was the commitment I had to make to 'management' to secure the rather large wad of cash needed to bring the stuff over...............We shall see-Although I have already replaced the front gutters.

I am still in shock that she actually went for it!!!

Cheers
    Sean
    Last edited by Supercrown; 10-06-07 at 09:16 AM.

Golumn voice...

"My Presciousssss"

I swear-I'm going to be burning money on this car till the day I die-this is getting ridiculous. I have now had the car for 13years..........And it's still pretty scrappy up close-but pretty paint and trim does not a fast car make-and laying down strip numbers, along with dyno tuning sessions/dyno comps is what it's for.

BEST CROWN EVER!! Shame about the big bang but you will be able to go even faster now as a result hopefully! Great rundown on the car and pics - good one!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

BSP Turbo, (Ben Sulayem Performance) are the guys responsible for this car from many moons ago.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=0950

Mohammed Ben Sulayem is basically the Arab equivalent of the late Possum Bourne, and BSP Turbo is his own personal workshop where they mess with his and his mates cars. It's true that I can't be 100% sure that it'll get here and be perfect-but all the checking I did points to the joint being pro.

There is still a small possibility when I go down to the docks that I find I've been sent an old arab bead oven and a pile of worn out sandals-but I don't think that's likely...

Top work mate!

What is the rear suspesnion up to? Maybe you would be better spending the time now sorting that out while you wait for the engine? Then it will take more juice and you won't have to frig around so much
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

About 3 years ago I fitted the car with a Borg Warner diff, welded new lower mounts to the chassis, made some simple adjustable control arms to set pinion angle and get the diff in the right spot for tyre clearance. It's basically a back-yard 4-link, but in my attempts to get the control arm angles right, I actually ended up making them a bit severe. The result is that it's great for traction as the diff wants to separate from the car under power-pushing the tyres into the track, but lousy for maintaining axle alignment. ie, when we drive around on the road (rarely!) the back of the car feels like it wanders a bit as the axle alignment changes due to differing suspension action on either side of the car. It's not the end of the world-but I need to fix it, and as there is no back seat now I may go for a proper equal length 4-link system and coilovers or something.

First I gotta get my head around cutting the chassis rails at the back to allow for tubs!!

trust me, i know what I'm doing

Was it finished before the original motor went bang? Or will it be finished when the new motor provides the goods? Or will it never be finished?

option B mate
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Quote Originally Posted by retroMonk
    Was it finished before the original motor went bang? Or will it be finished when the new motor provides the goods? Or will it never be finished?
    Blaspheemer!!!!!!

Burn hiiimmm!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I should have put a smiley face in there somewhere...

Although it was a serious question, perhaps not actually asked correctly.

(lucky i'm wearing my asbestos underwear)

Where was that post that I made a few months ago about the car being tubbed in the next 12 months etc etc and you denied it.

2ofdem
    They have lockup convertor setups for powerglides now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Rooster
    Where was that post that I made a few months ago about the car being tubbed in the next 12 months etc etc and you denied it.
    I don't remember you saying that.

Now-some tech opinins are required here-

I can get a 101mm turbo or a GT60 for good money, but they look to be too big-however, dudes are running GT47/88s on 3.0 L motors and GT55's on 3.0 L motors, and I have a 100hp nitrous kit to help it spool.

Whaddayas reckon? GT60 may be a bit too big, but just having one would be entertaining. (or perhaps just gay?)

Did you check out that T91 Pro thumper I told you about?
    1600HP turbo, they'll let it go for $3k, was something like $4200 cost price.
    BIG bastard.

I almost bought it, but the missus would've killed me stone dead 1.2 seconds after she saw it.

TK

Hmm.

I actually asked my mate from MTQ about it-and he thought it was a T51R, which is way too small. If it's a T91 Thumper-that's right on the money. Ill give outlaws a buzz.

Hehe, your missus is gonna kill you.
    Thank fuck someones gonna buy it, knowing it was there for the taking was driving me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrown
    I can get a 101mm turbo or a GT60 for good money,
    Care to share?
    I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Some awesome pics there, inside the intake plenum looks the business. Keep us posted on updates, tis a very nice build!

Wicked Hotgemini. That's awesome mate-thank you. I'm going to print all them out for posterity.

Oh my god-how much time and money have I wasted-and how much fun does it continue to be .

A GT60 is coming home this weekend to assess "practicality". It has the 1.47 rear on it, but we'll change that to a much smaller one.

If it proves to be too much (ie it doesn't spool up) we'll down size to a GT55.

The middlesize turbo is a GT42-the big one is GT60 sized.

This car continues to be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 350stato View Post
    100% agree with Shifty

fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    This car continues to be silly.

Thats not a big turbo

Giffarked, you is gonna smash everything in the driveline & maybe a few dynos while you're at it.