Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheetah Mk7

Hey Rohan, just stumbled onto this Forum/Thread... looks good! can't believe how light the tub is!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Hey Rohan, just stumbled onto this Forum/Thread... looks good! can't believe how light the tub is!
    Ben,

Yes it is pretty light. I have no problem lifting it by myself and it still has a fair bit of stuff on it such as the master cylinders, pedals, harness, coil, rev limiter and guages. I may have to weigh it at some stage. Maybe I should save up for some corner-scales to justify it...
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Given the lack of adjustability in the Falcon's suspension I'm having difficulty justifying the cost of corner scales to myself... I might just borrow a set to get my weighting right initially...

Seems like a pretty good forum here, might spend a bit more time over here - AFF seems like the wrong crowd for my Race car thread...

Quote Originally Posted by xbgs351 View Post
    The original wings are also made of rivetted aluminium sheet.
    I might give it a go since I really hate working with fibre glass so much. BTW I have a place down the road from work thaty sells the west system stuff and kevlar/carbon fibre sheet and supplies for vacuume bagging

I am at the stage where I am attempting to space out the ribs on the outer skin. does the cheata have any place for access to the inside voids?

I mean access to the space between the outer and inner skin of the monocoque.

Quote Originally Posted by PHULL View Post
    I might give it a go since I really hate working with fibre glass so much. BTW I have a place down the road from work thaty sells the west system stuff and kevlar/carbon fibre sheet and supplies for vacuume bagging

I am at the stage where I am attempting to space out the ribs on the outer skin. does the cheata have any place for access to the inside voids?

I mean access to the space between the outer and inner skin of the monocoque.
    There is limited access where the inboard springs are, but there is a bulkhead just in front of the lower rear control arm mount.

At the rear on the right hand side, the end plate is held on by fasteners and this allows access to the oil tank that is in there. Remove the oil tank and you can see almost the entire length of the void. I don't recall how many bulkeads there are. I believe the mk8 had more. On the left hand side the end plate is rivetted on by blind rivets. You can see that in the photo below.

Also have a look at the following mk8 photos. This was the first clean sheet designed Cheetah, but the tub is still very similar to the Mk7. The biggest differences to the tub are that the driver has been moved forward and the front suspension has rose joints on the inners. To allow access to the lower rear rose joint there is a round access hole just above it.

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...Cheetah%20mk8/

Brian Shead has been busy at work on my Cheetah. He has given the tub a bit of a tidy up, repaired the original ground effect side pods and manufactured all of the missing hardware for mounting the side pods to the tub. He is in the process of fabricating up another nose cone as the original had a few cracks. He will then manufacture the original hardware for mounting the front wings and end plates. Soon the car should be back to it's original appearance, which will allow me to pursue a CAMS Certificate of Description and give me the opportunity to race the car in historics.

It should prove rather easy to change the car from ground effect to flat bottom configuration and back again. It is hard to say what the difference in performance will be between the two aerodynamic set ups, but I suspect the benefits of the narrow nose will be greater than the benefits of the ground effect side pods.

She is ready to be picked up, so looks like a trip or two down to Melbourne is in order. It is always cool going down to Speco as it is an Aladdin's Cave of race cars. Brabham, Cheetah, Dallara, Elfin, Elva, Lola, Palliser, Ralt, Spectrum, Van Dieman - seriously cool.

Pictures of everything or ban!
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Most are under covers, in bits or in the truck. The Elva is a bit beaten up after an incident at Winton earlier this year. Fixing the chassis is one thing, but the bodywork is a bit harder.

Ahh, the memories. We won the AF2 Sportsman trophy in '95(?) with one of these driven by Chris Coombs.

I'll have to check the year of that. I've got a pic of that car and Sambo at Winton.

Competition Systems

Winning Edge Electronics
    Magneti Marelli, Jenvey Induction, Souriau Autosport, BF1 Systems, Cat Cams, ORECA, Variohm and Texense Sensors
    www.compsystems.com.au

Great thread What year is the car?

PS if you push alt-print screen you capture the selected window rather than the whole screen

I can't for the life of me remember. That pic was taken at Calder Park circa 1995 as part of it's shake down prior to being purchased. Actually must have been 1994 because it was red when it was ran in 1995.

WTF alt-print BS?

Competition Systems

Winning Edge Electronics
    Magneti Marelli, Jenvey Induction, Souriau Autosport, BF1 Systems, Cat Cams, ORECA, Variohm and Texense Sensors
    www.compsystems.com.au

Great stuff!! Love the chassis pics all stripped back.
    Those early Toyota motors are great, I remember years ago servicing an old ladies Corolla and it must have been running for ages with about 500ml + filter of oil in the thing, fresh oil and off she went again.

Has the XB got an adjustable front bar?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Great thread What year is the car?

PS if you push alt-print screen you capture the selected window rather than the whole screen

That last photo is a Mk8 Cheetah. I think it is the Ransberg Cheetah which was the last Mk8. It would have been built in 1987 and holds plenty of AF2 lap records.

My car was built in 1981 and was the last mk7.
    Last edited by Old Major; 04-01-09 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xwgasaxe View Post
    Great stuff!! Love the chassis pics all stripped back.
    Those early Toyota motors are great, I remember years ago servicing an old ladies Corolla and it must have been running for ages with about 500ml + filter of oil in the thing, fresh oil and off she went again.

Has the XB got an adjustable front bar?
    Yes a K-mac.

The tub is back home, but I have been struggling to do much with it due to a severe lack of space. I really need to sell the FB and repair the clutch master cylinder on the XB. The master cyclinder repair would be easy if I had room to open the door - which I don't, could move it over - which I can't because of the FB, could back it out - which I can't because I have no clutch and it is parked in by a tub and two other cars.

Due to the lack of space, all I have done of late is clean out the schwarf and old rivets left over from when the tub was tidied up. I have also polished one side of the tub.

The next step is to learn how to do rivnuts so that I can easily add and remove the brackets that support the flat bottom floor and sidepods, but clash with the ground effect sidepods.

Below are some photos of the tub fitted with the original nose and wings:

Here is the nose and ground effect side pods:

You're making more progress than me!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Good progress,

I use my workshop style trolley jack under the diff of the Xdub to move it around the place as it looks like you have smooth flooring there so should be ok?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

spend $200 on some car dollys (or whatever there called) we got the cheapie non lift up ones and there still pretty good.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

The tub is now about 90% polished. Every scratch, dint and rub mark on the aluminium leaves unsightly black marks that are very hard if not impossible to polish out. Given that the tub is 28 years old, there are a lot of marks. When that is done it will be time to start polishing the nose cone and the coolant pipes that run up each side of the car. Oh the fun of it!

I am planning on getting some of the lifting car dollies, but until I sell the FB there isn't all that much point. I will probably just lift the tub over two cars to get it where I want. Normally I would just get my wife to help me, but as she is 7 months pregnant I may have to get a mate to give me a hand.

Selling the FB hasn't been smooth sailing. I have had some people who have decided not to come at the last minute which has left me in the lurch. I have even had one person who arranged to come last Sunday, completely deny speaking to me at all, even though his phone number was the same as the one he gave me and in my phone records and his name was the same.

Opens
    Having a yack on the weekend about the old formula 3 race at Amaroo Park where all 3 of the Cheetahs were out within a couple of laps after one of Sheady's suppliers got a bit carried away lightening flywheels - 2mm thick in the mounting area! - not sure how accurate it was, but he mentioned Brian was not well, possibly a stroke. Heard anything to that effect?

Hard to tell from the access holes, is there a collapsible steering column in there?

Brian Sampson was doing the engines back then, so I wonder if it was one of his suppliers? The Cheetahs absolutely dominated Formula 3 back then. Just look at Shead's race record. According to one of the articles I have, Shead competed in 293 events, from which he achieved 112 wins, 228 podium places, 85 fastest laps and 30 lap records.

Brian looked fine when I saw him a month ago and I recieved an email from him two weeks, so I assume that all is still well.

The height of the steering column is adjustable, but it isn't collapsible.

Opens
    Sounds like a Mark Twain moment from this end.

Adjustment via spacers or something more complicated? Doesn't appear you have to contend with a 4ft spear aimed at your chest at any rate.

There are just three levels of holes that the steering column can bolt to. The length of the steering column is also adjustable.

Well, I have sold the FB, purchased some Gojacks, moved the Hardtop, and moved the tub alongside the rear half of the Cheetah. I have also fitted the front suspension and done a dummy assembly of the nose and sidepods. Seeing a bit of progress is actually giving me some new enthusiasm for the project.

That looks better- tripping over piles of stuff is a miserable way to play with cars..

Go for it!
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
    I can't for the life of me remember. That pic was taken at Calder Park circa 1995 as part of it's shake down prior to being purchased. Actually must have been 1994 because it was red when it was ran in 1995.

WTF alt-print BS?
    Only just noticed this!

looks like the ransberg cheetah that kevin lewis was running a couple years ago - brick red colour. Last check it was still here in newcastle.

The last time I saw it run was probably a good 3 years ago now, did something like snap the timing belt off the start line, and kevin was running in the CRD after that... and he droive edward gavin's mk8 a couple times after kevin finished rebuilding it - that was around the last time I was out at an F2 round tho - early 07.
    '71 Honda Dax CT70
    '74 MR50
    '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
    '85 KX125
    '91 RS125R Honda
    '96 RGV
    '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
    '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
    '01 XR50
    '02 KX250
    '02 VTR1000 SP2
    '05 KLX 110

Geez looking at this thread reminds me that I haven't even touched my Cheetah since the last post and that was five months ago. Any coincidence that my daughter is about 5 months old?

yeah slight coincidence!!
    car does look good, so does XB! first time Ive seen the thread!

Whats the old girl in one of those photos, where the bike is leaning agaisnt it?
    www.unigroup.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by niSSSan View Post
    works for me as the first few years of monthly pay was hookers and coke for the first week, then 3 weeks of jerking off and water...

Quote Originally Posted by evil_weevil View Post
    yeah slight coincidence!!
    car does look good, so does XB! first time Ive seen the thread!

Whats the old girl in one of those photos, where the bike is leaning agaisnt it?
    This is the 'old girl'. It was my Grandfather's FB. Earlier this year I sold it sight unseen to someone in Western Australia.