Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheetah Mk7

Yea I recently revived my build the other day, have a deadline of Feb as will have a similar new responsibilty to look after.

How's the XB going also?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Since the XB went to alphabet track day in October last year it has backed out of the garage, driven to the end of the court and backed back into the garage. Given that October is coming up again it may be time to overhaul the master cylinder and machine the discs so that it will be ready for this years outing. If the XB goes anything like it has every other year, it won't be the fastest car there, but it will spend far more time on the track than any other car there.
    Last edited by Old Major; 16-09-09 at 09:07 AM.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Yea cool and atleast it got started and driven even if it was only for 3minutes 45s.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by xwgasaxe View Post
    Yea I recently revived my build the other day, have a deadline of Feb as will have a similar new responsibilty to look after.

How's the XB going also?
    I was at Winton today and it was going very nicely, but just before the end of the day it broke the distributor gear and to top that off it had also blown a head gasket. So with no ignition it was impossible to fire up the engine to drive any water out of the bores. I think I know what caused the head gasket to go and if I'm right I will definitely need another set of heads. I just tried looking up the CHI website, but it appear to be down.

Ah spewin about the motor, so what the distributor jumped a tooth and made it ping which pushed out the gasket?

The CHI business was sold recently but that shouldn't stop the site I suppose, I grabbed the 2V's which was awesome as a straight bolt on, the thing that struck me the most was actually the turn in improvement with the reduced weight.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I purchased the heads off a friend of mine about 6 years back. Unfortunately when he opened up the chambers he came a bit too close to the fire ring in a few places. He got away with it on his car for years and years, but I suspect that I have fallen foul of the issue.

The turn in is another reason to consider the alloy heads. Resistance to detonation is also another big one, even though I'm certain that it isn't detonating. Being able to run without any valve seat lubricant would also be nice.

The other thing is that a lot of the Falcons at these fun days have had $20k thrown at the motor, so you are all over them under brakes and around the bends and instead of them being polite and letting you through down the straights they want to drag race. So my poor little 351 with home ported heads and a quiet exhaust has to try and compete with a stroker in a straight line. It does pretty well and they don't pull away, but I don't get to shoot past them like I did a few years back either.
    Last edited by Old Major; 26-10-09 at 06:28 AM.

Yea that makes more sense than my theory,

The Alloys are an easy 50hp bolt on with more comp plus more low end torque...mmmm
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Yeah, I do miss my old CHI headed motor... should have kept it as a street car for alot longer.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I was talking to Leon at A1 highperformance today and we were looking at some sweet Edelbrock Victor heads for Wheezors and I started talking about my heads and what could be done to them.

He basically said to get a solid roller cam instead...oh dear!!
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Found out why the distributor gear broke. The oil-pump pickup broke off flush with the oilpump and some pieces of the pipe thread went inside the oil-pump and seized it. This in turn twisted the oil-pump drive shaft, broke the distributor gear and stopped the motor before any damage could be done. Looks like there has been zero damage to the engine. Very lucky.

Smart buggers at Ford must have been stoked when they thought to put that little fail safe design into the SBF.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by xwavgas View Post
    Yea that makes more sense than my theory,

The Alloys are an easy 50hp bolt on with more comp plus more low end torque...mmmm
    I honestly can tell any difference driving on the street. Hopefully I will be able to notice a difference at Winton.

The change to XA/XB upper arms from the rubber bushed XC upper arms made a bigger difference. Roller spring perches did didly squat with the XC arms.

What have I misssed, did you get some alloy heads?

Will check your other thread or is this on FF?
    2007 KTM 250 SX

This is the only thread. The engine got CHI 2V heads when it got reassembled.

Woohoo!!
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Dynoed the XB last Friday. She made 360 rwhp with a safe tune. I thought that was pretty good considering that it has tiny 1 5/8" tri-y headers and a 2 1/4" dual exhaust system. The torque curve was nice and flat with 310+ rw ftlb from 2400 to 6200 rpm and 330+ rw ftlb from 3500 to 5900 rpm.
    Last edited by Old Major; 14-10-10 at 09:30 PM.

So whats happening with the Cheetah?

needs updates, stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpat View Post
    Japanese performance cars are like japanese schoolgirls. By the time they are 15 years old they've all been molested so your only option is to choose one where the previous owner had similar perversions to yourself.

Pugged
    +1
    Need more open wheeler action here!!

+2 for more open wheeler news. Elfins and Cheethas best Aussie cars made.

Man I fully whored up the last few pages about Clevo talk.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I support that.

Ahh yes.

This project is currently on hold. Something to do with a new business, having the third child on the way and getting into bicycle racing in a big way. I'm planning to get the Cheetah going after I pay off my house and will most likely outsource it. This is now going to take a bit longer than I had planned as I just added a big F-off deck onto the house. I did sell my GT to help finance the deck (and my new time trial bike), so the wait shouldn't be too long. A photo of the GT is attached.

I'm now officially inspired to get the mk7 going again. I will probably still wait for nopics to go back catching babies for a living, but I'm not going to wait for the house to be paid off.

By getting my car back running it may also help two other Mk7's get back to their original engine and aero package configuration which will in turn help them to get their Certificates of Descriptions so that they can race in historics. The mk7's where really well built cars and this is quite evident by the fact that all seven mk7's that were made are still around today.

Look forward to regular updates.

Hang on, did you say you sold the GT?

Good news anyway on the plans for the Cheetah.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Yes I sold the GT but I still have my GS. The GT just never did it for me. That was pretty obvious once it was gone as I appreciated the extra space in my garage more than than I ever appreciated the car.

Ah few that's a relief, good to hear there is something Clevo still in your shed.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Ah few that's a relief, good to hear there is something Clevo still in your shed.
    You mean like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Which reminds me that I did enquire about buying the Clevo powered Graduate M8f at one stage but it had already sold.

Lol Bill,
    2007 KTM 250 SX