Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: VL street/circuit

Nice mate.

BTW - I believe your name has been called over here....

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...goodness/page6

The mighty VL deserves a feature, make it happen...
    The older i get, the better i was...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Nice mate.

BTW - I believe your name has been called over here....

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...goodness/page6

The mighty VL deserves a feature, make it happen...
    I see it has, you're quite a helpful bugger, thanks for the support. I'll PM Marv, not sure it's quite at that standard but another PF LS cant be a bad thing.

Adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Round 4 of VicV8's has been won and run, a bit of a non event for the plastic pig however. After a strong round 3, had a few suspension changes hoping to get that stubborn front end to go where I point it at the slow corner speed Winton track. Ran a few laps in Qualy just creeping up on it, front end is still shite so just sucked it up and just mashed the pedal to get some speed from it. On the last quick lap, I heard a pop and some funky metallic noises coming from the engine bay. Quick look at the gauges, still had plenty of oil pressure and normal water temp.

I've had a few rod knocks over the years, belts letting go, water hoses bursting but this noise was very unique. Car rolled to a halt, summed up the situation, hit the starter again and that high speed crank of no compression, good times. Get dragged back to the pits, no fluids coming out so that was a positive. Garage diagnoses of a lack of communication between the crank and cam seemed the obvious culprit, bore scope confirmed the valves and pistons had a quick discussion about the suspected issue also.

So a quality double row timing chain has let go, not sure why as yet. Is it a manufacturing fault?, another issue we missed during install?. Lots of talk about a double row being the wrong chain and a single row LS7 chain is the answer. I don't know yet, will speak to the experts and sort it out. I've got a spare new rotating assembly, just need to sort out what to do with the heads. All the valves are mashed, will price up a reco and replacement set against sourcing another set of heads.

Thanks to Damo for giving me hand and few other non PF gents.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Eek, sorry to see / hear. Sure is unfortunate.

It's ironic Adam, I was thinking of shooting you a pm after our chat at Winton, wondering what you had found...

fwiw, we've been running a set of procomp stainless inlet & exhaust valves for about 3 years now, in a speedway car (VL with LS, cammed, PAC 1219 springs, forged internals, regularly sees 7k rpm) with complete reliability, something you may wish to consider.

I'm aware that procomp is often the subject of ridicule etc,. but at around $200 for 16 valves, they've proven to be good value for us.

Here's hoping that it's a one off issue with the chain, because we also have Rollmaster double row chains in both the speedway rig & the TT VY (So far, so good!).

I'm surprised all the valves are mashed, must have have jumped a few teeth before coming to a complete stop?

Anyway, chin up, your luck has got to change for the better...

Sorry to see all that damage! Not cool.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, im guessing you will revisit this in the new year?

Ps, Thanks again for the advice on Saturday.

Thanks for the info Ray, will look into it in the new year. LB, no dramas, offer still stands if you want me to play with the land barge.

Adam
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    Bathurst 2.47.49

Race cars... I am over spending thousands of dollars that I don't have. I hope the VL has a speedy (not too spendy) recovery.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5