Spent most of the weekend out at UPullIt getting bits for the Supra. But first i rolled it into its home for the next little while:
Making good friends with the Sprinter now. I also hooked up a battery so i could see how the electrics were, and given that nothing went smokey i went further and hit ignition and was happy to see that pretty much everything i had expected worked. Aircon is a bit weird, but thats ok, because im ditching the automatic AC and going to a manual setup. Digi dash worked, but im not entirely sure that ill end up using it. Power windows worked, but a bit sluggish, which could be just the battery being low.
So onto the bits that i got at UPullIt:
Picked up an analog dash, which should be relatively compatible with what i have, although it will require rewiring completely to work. The CelicaSupra guys have a whinge and say its too hard, but with <20 wires to swap around im sure it will be fine.
Picked up a fuel pump bracket and the lines associated, to finish off what was missing in my fuel tank, as well as an analog level sender. Which ill need if i use the analog dash.
Onto the suspension, i picked up everything for both of my options:
MX83 Cressida steering arms, and RA40 tie rod end tubes.
GH Sigma (left) and MX83 (right) lower control arms.
MX83 struts, and hubs.
I also found another Cressida with a black interior, so i picked up a few things which i had missed out in my car. Adding to my big pile of black bits:
Bonus boot carpet:
Plus there was an EF with a trans cooler hanging out the front, so that came with me too. If i stick with power steering ill end up using it as a power steering cooler:
Also some pretty pics of the engine which will be powering it:
VVTi 2JZGE, pretty standard atm, and ill have to do a bit of cleaning up of the wiring loom and sort out what the other ecu plugs are.
Plus on the downside of the weekend was finding a touch of rust here:
As a bonus its in the removable cowl, so not in the body which is nice. Ill cut it out and a bit of fibreglass and things will be all good.
So onto the suspension. Currently i have a few options, but the one which appeals to me is using the MX83 struts at the front for the 5stud. However, the kingpin angle is different between the MX83 strut and the MA61 strut, with the MX83 giving positive camber (signfiicantly) if used with the MA61 lower control arms.
The MA61 LCA is 295mm eye-to-eye and the MX83 LCA is 330mm eye-to-eye. Which is all well and good on paper. However, going from the GroupA cars the Supra works best at about 4-5deg neg camber on the front (and the AE86s seem to support this with 6deg neg working really well).
I havnt figured out what the static camber will be with the MX83 strut and LCA, so that is first thing to do on the cards. If its looking to be too high, then ill have the following options as i see it:
- Get the struts rebent to add more negative camber
- Find longer LCAs (dont want to do this as it adds more track at the front, and given that the GroupA cars ran 50mm extra at the front i dont want to add more)
- Find MS65 hubs and use the stock MA61 struts with the GH Sigma LCAs.
Thats about it for options, but i guess the first thing is to figure out the effective king pin angle and get cracking with some trigonometry and figure out what the camber adjustment is.