This all started after I bought a beams 3S and 6MT from an Altezza for cheap. I was just going to resell it until one night a brillant idea popped into my head. We shall build a cheap racecar!
My bro jzx83 had this KE55 coupe in his farm shed for 8 years in partly restored(the part where you pull it to bits and lose interest). So I bullied him into handing it over. It was duly delivered in this state.
Rebuilt engine, suspension and brakes half sanded down and then simmered for 8 years. It was still pretty good though and the price was right.
I hate bodywork so I got a local guy to beat and paint it. Came up reasonably good in Kermit green.
Stripped the insides out and dispersed all the silverfish and rats into the wilderness. All very tidy inside.
Test fitted the Momo seat that's been haunting my shed for years in the back of the Trumpy ute.
This week was very light on work so we towed it in with a view to filling in the gaps by fitting the engine, box, hilux diff and coilover/4spot front struts.
We pulled the old donk and box out and cleaned up the bay a bit. The brake booster and master were very haggard so we pulled them out for a look. Turned out that a subaru booster bolted straight in to the firewall so one thing lead to another and we ended up with pulsar GTIR booster(same as subaru) and master(fitted better) and GTIR clutch master as well(needed one anyway so why not). A bit of customisation to the pedal was required for the clutch.
We then slung the engine and box in and fiddled it into place after a few mods to the sump and tunnel.
Ended up using shackle bushes for engine and gearbox mounts.
Need to find some wheels that suit the new struts and hilux diff. Or go nuts with flares and use these. The panel beater will freak if I ask him to cut the guards.
The rest we are figuring out as we go.
Should go pretty well with 210hp and under 1000kg. Plan is to use it for local hillclimbs and maybe some allmtr drag stuff and whatever else pops up.