Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Daihatsu Charade

this is so much crazier than i expected! Tops work alex! This is my favourite car on PF!
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

Thanks mate. You should of always known I am crazy. Will be at wakefield for more testing the 23rd this month. Falls on a sturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.P View Post
    Yeah mate I did use them on the street earlier in the cars life. Left hand scope of view was fine but right hand was a tad difficult and you had to be carefull of those lane changes.

Thanks for the comments mate
    Well the other factor to consider with Halo seats is that they often make getting in and out of a caged car much more difficult. Not what I'd want if things started getting a bit hot inside...but then does the chance of that outweigh the benefits of extra lateral protection for the neck?

As for the positive comments, well you deserve it with such great work. I still think that 'beasty' is going to be a handful but it's your handful and I'm sure will be extremely satisfying to get it all sorted and start to produce some seriously quick times. Look forwards to some new video!!

Well done, good to hear that it went so well.

If you go to DBW, you should be ablt to do some tricky stuff with the throttle translation table to help with boost control for drivability..

-Jamie

Been a while. Carbon radiator exit duct is done. Was not entirely happy with it. Will get it redone.
    On a good note I found out why the car was overheating comming into the pits and it had nothing to do with airflow but rather the output on the pdm clipping due to too much load. I though the ewp was a 7 amp draw but turns out it was 12amp wired on an 8 amp output.

so on the track the car was sitting on 75 deg and the pump duty was 70%. comming into the pits the engine would get up to 85deg and pump the goes to 100% duty. pdm clips and retries twice and then shuts the channel down. restets when ign is switched off and on.

Being able to data logand view all the pdm channels and currrents draws on the adl = win.

If it helps, you could have the ADL, via an alarm (and perhaps light), notify you if any of your PDM outputs has gone into an overcurrent state.

This way, you know something has gone wrong striaght away.

You can also setup the Master reset input as a button, and reset all outputs if it does happen.

With something like the water pump, I would recommend changing the output to 'always retry', which will make it keep turning on continually, then shutting down if it trips again, after a configurable delay.

regards,

Jamie

Thanks for the input Jamie. Always a good working base.

Good info guys, thanks.
    Saw some kind of mad Corolla today at Superlap that reminded me of your car Alex. Had all the fans going on out back. Looked pretty well done also. You could check it out tomorrow if you were in that neighbourhood.

Was there yesterday and will be again today mate. Call me round midday .

So...9psi made 215psi and 23psi made 328kw. Not bad. Has some funky closed loop boost control and boost by throttle map with a nine position rotary knob that does some funky shit! Temps did not go over 77deg on the dyno. Winner.

So what are you planning on racing this in?
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

IPRA hahahahaha

25th sep buladelah hill climb
    10th oct Honda Nats.
    track day at wakefield in a week to do some testing

What should I race it in mate?

328kw at the front wheels in a 900?kg tin?
    you probably only get traction in reverse.

So these are the last mods that should be done. I made some air scoops for the ducts, running evans npg(r) coolant, project mu 16+ carbon pads and castrol srf fluid. Honda Nats at wakefield this monday. Should be doing low 1.07's.

Looking good bro

So went to Wakefield yesterday for Honda Nats.
    Convinced the driver to turn the boost map to the highest setting(have only used low boost = 230hpatw).
    Grenaded the final drive and split the gearcase. OUCH!! Funilly enough the crown and pinion were the only standard parts in the transmission.

Gotta love it. Oh total of 2.5 laps for the day. 2 laps were a warn up on low boost. Drove into the pits and turned the knob to high. Yes it only made it to the fish hook hahahahaha.

Only positive is that the new RAD CAMS are fucking awesome for picture and sound.

links to said picture and sound fool!

edit - bad luck about the breakage

nudder dirte30 fanboy
    This car is so impressive I like how you just went straight for the big guns Would have been good to get a few laps in first (other than the warm up) but ah well.

Will be good to see where it gets ya next
    Last edited by e30guy; 11-10-11 at 09:11 PM.

After all the effor, time and money I just want to get to the point. Big Guns it is!!

Finally loaded a couple of vids of the new cameras that i am using in the car. This is a vid looking at the driver and dash. The windscreen view is still loading to you tube. Car was on low boost 220hp atw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5NE...ature=youtu.be

Only other updates are that the feed for the radiators has been changed.Iinstead of the rear quarter 3 inch nacas it is now running 6 inch pipes fed from the rear quarter windows. I kinda worked out that the naca ducts were a massive restriction in air flow.
    Having two scoops made for the quarter windows in carbon and the front splitter made in foam core carbon also.
    Last edited by Alex.P; 02-01-12 at 06:40 AM.

Looking impressive Alex. That thing has some mumba down the straight. Bit of torque steer but that is predictable. Like the cameras. Good resolution. What are they, Motec?
    Was the driver just unfamiliar with the gearbox or is it a bit tricky to grab the right cog each time? When was that footage taken?

Thanks mate. Yeah weighs very little so even with the boost on the lowest setting it gets up and goes.
    Cameras are the ones from RacerRecal. 6000sux(i think his name is) from here recomended them and after seeing his footage could not say no for the price. If motec was a HD setup I would get them but they are not!!
    The shifter works rather well. The only problem is that there is some movement in the bottom of the stick where it attaches to the rod which leads to the gearbox. Being such a long stick it magnifies at the knob end.
    That footage was taken in October. Third time the car went out and still sorting the cooling issues Hopefully that is all behind me now with the new radiator feed

It's going to be very interesting to see how the extra boost/power translates into times. That is, how much extra torque steer you might get. Still, it's a howler for sure. Think you should be able to get into the 1:05s in the not too distant future and then some.

I didn't think they were Motec. Can't believe how Motec have dropped the ball in that dept but wouldn't be surprised if they're not working on something. Your's look pretty damn good. Might have to check them out. Just looking on their site now. What brand/models are yours?

I was thinking it was the ratio with the longer stick. I'm facing a similar thing. Hope it doesn't lead to issues with shifting.

Look forward to seeing some more film. When are you back out there, Jan?
    Last edited by 333pg333; 01-01-12 at 01:39 PM.

Um mine are the RadCams.
    Told you once before, you should get the custom CMS shifter from the States

It easily pissed in a 1.08 at a shakedown day prior to that video so TBH it will piss in the 1.05.

Yeah that CMS is a thing of beauty but the money tree has considerably less leaves on it lately. I looked at that when I was going to convert to a GT2 tranny. Now with the 968 trans I'm not sure if it can be converted to run off cables, maybe? The car is getting the full rewire at the moment. Including shifting to a Motec m400 and sensors all over the place. Costing me a bomb.
    I'll see how we go with what we've got re the shifter.

Ha, yes, you'll probably be pushing the 1:00 min mark by year's end on slicks!!
    Last edited by 333pg333; 02-01-12 at 06:52 AM.

The CMS shifter does do cables.
    Did you end up going with Alessio/Ezzio at CPC for the motec products/instal?
    You will love the pdm mate.

1 minute flat aye.....I WISH!!