Thread: Exhausts - weld or clamp.

Exhausts - weld or clamp.

Noticed lately a number of shops here (& MANY in the US) are using clamps a lot more in custom exhausts rather than every join being welded.

Of course you need some movement in an exhaust for expansion and engine movement but thatís why you have flex joints right?

Whatís PFs opinion on whatís right/better? Just curious on the pros and cons (clamps leak? Welds break? Serviceability?)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Whatkindaclamps?

U clamps, band clamps.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Exhausts that are welded along the full length are the work of retards. You need to be able to drop sections of the exhaust off in my opinion.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Exhausts that are welded along the full length are the work of retards. You need to be able to drop sections of the exhaust off in my opinion.
    Well yeh, should've mentioned this is in place of what (in my car mod experience) would be normal with flanges along the length so it's not a single massive welded piece (as per one of Al's quick tech's, don't be a cunt, use flanges to the next person doesn't hate you").
    Hide yo' wife!!!

#vbands4lyf
    I own a two and a half litre Commodore

in terms of off the shelf aftermarket systems, i would imagine a lot of it is to do with manufacturing costs.

much cheaper and easier to just flare some sections of pipe than it is to buy/cut flanges and then weld them on
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

When I was researching 2015ish bmw 335s I was looking into the available upgrades, and was pretty surprised to see that the bmw factory mperformance exhaust (which is pretty much just a rear muffler swap) installation instructions were 1: cut original exhaust pipe using your favorite kind of saw and remove original muffler. 2: install new muffler and line up the inlet pipe with the one you cut before. 3: if you fucked up the first cut you made, do more cuts on both sides until they're pretty close, then apply clamp...

Seems like the original should have been flanged to begin with, especially with them offering a factory upgrade... I get that there are tradeoffs for manufacturers to get the price point right and maintain quality but this just felt sloppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

I'd noticed most Japanese aftermarket exhausts are flanged, stuff for some US and Euro's use slip joints and clamps

A combination of all of the above would usually be the go. Depends on the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Just thought it was interesting as when I had a Jap car everything came flanged (and fit!), US stuff is almost ALL slip joints/clamps and I wondered how leaky they are/aren't?
    Hide yo' wife!!!

A lot of it is also to do with packaging and shipment, especially if you're sending your product all over the world.
    /csh Racing