Thread: VT Commodore. VX Engine transplant. Any problems ?

VT Commodore. VX Engine transplant. Any problems ?

Hey PF

This one's totally out of my league. I'm used to bikes with carbies and stuff. So here we go.

A friend has a VT Commodore which has a tired engine. He's got the chance to pick up a VX motor and gearbox for very cheap that's in good nick but we're a bit concerned about the compatibility on installing a VX engine into a VT body. My understanding is the VX didn't have any major changes in the engine but somehow picked up a few ponies, uses less fuel and had a different shift strategy for the auto.

Is this as simple as bolt it in and it'll work flawlessly or do we need to do a ECU / BCM swap as well. Or would we be so lucky that we just get the VX's memcal and then everything is hunky dory from there on ?

Cheers.
    p.s
    Sorry for such a boring question.
    p.s.s
    This needs more LS1 but that isn't going to happen.
    - Gary

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    sr20
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by 1uzusee View Post
    That's assuming that in 100yrs we will need Iron Ore/Gas/Coal etc. Thankfully, Labor has introduced the Carbon Tax, so in 100yrs we be able to build cars, buildings and boats from Tea Leafs and hugs.

Really late model VT's had the gen 3 anyway didn't they?
    www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

They did Glenno but im sure its a V6
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

i think it should be a straight swap for you. i recently put a vy v6 into a vt. sump had to be swapped (as it was changed on the VY - your VT and VX should be the same). everything else just fit. the only problem we had was the Idle air control motor was different on the VY throttle body - the chamber is longer so with the VT IAC it would wind out the plunger. solution was to swap the whole VT throttle body over.

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    VT VX are largely the same

swap should go fine and any half decent mechanic should be able to sort out any issues
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Cool guys. Thanks for the heads up. I'll get on top of it
    - Gary

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

The loom was slightly different and had to be swapped. You could have just asked...

buy my vx and burn your vt