hey guys, tell u a little bit about a nice street/strip car i have the pleasure of helping with . the car is owned by my brother it's a 1970 Ford Capri with a 4L Toyota/Lexus 1UZ V8 engine, twin Garrett GT35/40 .70 Compressor .6 Exhaust turbo's, Ross Pistons, Argo rods, we run a custom plenum with the factory lower manifold (even after we were told it would never work) EMS 8860 ECU, custom Tighe cams, factory heads and valvetrain, block and crank, 2-Speed Powerglide, Dellow Bellhousing with a 8'' Neal Chance converter. the car weighs 3100lbs, this is a true street/strip car. the car is driven to the track we change from street tyres to slicks, change the plugs and take the exhaust off after we are done exhaust and street tyres go back on and we drive it home everything done to the car has been engineered the engine even abides by NSW RTA cube to weight rule.
the engine was built by Greg 'GOMAC' McDonald. All the fabrication work was done by Jake Bain from Bain Racing, the car was a bit of a rustbucket when we got it but Mario Teuma from A.C Tree Services did all the chassis work and helped with the chassis tuning and suspension setup at the track, yep that's right a tree lopper we run in APSA Mod Street Blown so what we can do to the car is pretty limited we run the factory style leaf spring suspension. Vince Rigoli from V & E Rigoli Racing tuned the car on E85 it makes 800+rwhp@26psi 750+ft-lbs of torque best 1/4 mile time of 8.46@162 with exhaust on and 8.34@164mph when it's off. Pump gas it makes 675rwhp and 680ft-lbs of torque best 1/4 is 9.02@151mph that was with the old Hoosier tyres and 60' 1.37, we believe it would go 1/10th quicker now as the car 60's much better with the Mickey Thompson's the best being a 1.291 60'
it is a pretty tight fit in the engine bay
pump gas dyno graph, shows pickup from old converter to new Neal chance converter
15-minute drive out to the track
tuning the car on E85, exhaust is on
first time out to the track after the E85 tune, Mario helping with setting the car up, exhaust on
exhaust is now off and ran a PB of 8.34@164
this is just stage one, we have a few goodies yet to do for stage 2. we tried lightening the car by putting a fibreglass boot and bonnet on and all she wanted to do was this
1st pass 8.4 we took it easy just to qualify, the track wasn't holding up either if it didn't lift it spun the tyres at the start. we only run a 28x10.5'' slick so it's hard taking off too quick.
ultimately the car needs to be lighter taking the bonnet and boot out saved us about 50lbs but affected the cars balance too much so we are going to get Mario to fab up a set of wheelie bars for us which will be removable so we can still drive it on the street. also limiting us is the turbo's, the rear housing is choking us from making more power so we are removing them and putting bigger 0.81 or 1.06 rears on it, also a brand spanking new EMS CDI is on the way, we need a nice big spark to help burn all that extra E85, ultimately by mid next-year we would love to be running high 7's @ 170+mph.