Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordless rattle guns and drills that aren't shit?

Cordless rattle guns and drills that aren't shit?

So thanks to the amount of time I spend on the internet I am turning into more of a lazy ADD child with every passing day. Since I can't be fucked cracking my own wheel nuts anymore i've started looking around for a decent little cordless rattle gun to make changing wheels a little easier now that I am swapping to semi slicks at track days. Currently I am just using a breaker bar and cordless drill with a socket attachment to crack and get the nuts off a bit quicker but I want to fuck off the breaker bar and do things faster with just the gun and torque wrench to tighten.

If a cordless drill could crack the nuts itself then that would be perfect but I don't know if there are any out there that can do it. So a rattle gun might be necessary but I don't want to spend huge money on something I only have for one purpose. I would be more open to the idea of spending big on a cordless drill tho cause I kinda want a better one anyway.

tl:dr
    1. Has anyone got a cordless drill (w/chuck & clutch) that can crack wheel nuts?
    Or
    2. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive cordless rattle gun that will do the job? Supercheap have a 12V corded one that was priced about right and that might end up being the best option but i'd like to look around a little more and see what battery powered ones can be got for first.
    Last edited by Reedy; 07-04-12 at 07:27 PM.

Suspended
    Don't trust the rated torque of impact wrenches. My first impact was a ryobi 1/2 inch drive and it was rated at 250nm. Total crap could not even undo a wheel nut.

Duly noted, that's the kind of stuff I want to know about. The ones I were looking at today had those figures written down (Bosch one said 340Nm from memory) but i'd like to hear from people that have used them. Stuff like that Ozito shit you can buy at bunnings I wouldn't touch but there are a couple of budget brands out there that will probably do what I need just fine, I don't need a tradies setup but I do want something that will last more than 1 use.
    Last edited by Reedy; 07-04-12 at 07:36 PM.

Arrogant wankeler
    If a drill could crack them without an impact mechanism you wouldn't be steering the car for a while afterwards.

Probably doesn't help you much due to cost, but I know the snap-on ones go for years in a workshop environment, you might find you can pick one up second-hand from someone who is looking at a different career direction or a workshop being liquidated.

Opposed to the PFAD Bill
    Ryobi was your problem.

I've sheared off a wheel stud with my makita 450.

When I change wheels at the track, after the car is jacked up, I just use a cheap ass cordless drill with an adapter to fit whatever the wheel nut size is. Usually 19mm or 21mm for me.

Before I jack the car up, I just loosen the wheel nuts with a strong socket.

Then tighten with the socket again quickly when on the ground.

Makita! the 18v ltx range! They are the business!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
    When I change wheels at the track, after the car is jacked up, I just use a cheap ass cordless drill with an adapter to fit whatever the wheel nut size is. Usually 19mm or 21mm for me.

Before I jack the car up, I just loosen the wheel nuts with a strong socket.

Then tighten with the socket again quickly when on the ground.
    That's exactly what I am doing at the moment. I just want to cut out one of those steps to make things a little easier.

Sorry, didn't read the first post fully.
    What I do is only change the rears (which are illegal grooved slicks) at the track becasue I am lazy. For the trip to the circuit, I put road legal semi's on the day before when I change my front brake pads and camber adjustments etc.

I've got 2 snap on ones... They are about the only good tool snap on makes,
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

True that. Ive had my 1/2" Snap On electric gun for about 4 years now and it gets used all day 5 days a week. Its more or less fucked now. Been dropped and kicked thousands of times but still does its job. Ill probably just send it in for a service/whatever they do and a couple fresh batteries and it'll go another few years.

How long do the batteries last before they need charging with the strap on ones? I have a smallish snap on cordless drill and battery life is shithouse between charges.

No race cars

A 300Nm cordless power drill with switchable impact function, keyless chuck and variable clutch. Who makes them? Am I dreamin`?
    Last edited by Reedy; 07-04-12 at 09:35 PM.

Makita entry level; 230nm li ion.

http://www.makita.com.au/products/lx...wrench?Prodid=

Makita Pro; 440nm

http://www.makita.com.au/products/po...nch?Prodid=120

Bosch entry level; 180Nm but tiny.

http://www.bosch-pt.com.au/papocs-au...1253/index.htm

Bosch Pro 650Nm;

Cordless 18v Li Ion HT GDS18V-LIHTSkin Only

http://www.bosch-pt.com.au/papocs-au...5596/index.htm

We sell this one to semi trailer workshops. They still generally have to crack the nuts with a huge bar but the big 3/4 drive pneumatics barely looseen them anyway and these cordless tools are tough as nails and you don't have to drag air lines around.

Email me on our website for a deal of the century on any of these tools;

http://cdaets.com.au/Bosch-Power-Tools

http://cdaets.com.au/Makita-Power-Tools

http://cdaets.com.au/index.php?route...mation/contact

Mention pf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo-urns View Post
    I'm not an engineer but if I was I would call what I'm talking about spring rate to mass ratio reaction speed.

Sawtell NSW Luxury Boutique Holiday Home Rental Accomodation Mid North Coast

The new bosch and makita li-ion batteries last longer than it takes to charge the other battery so it's kind of a moot point.

If you haven't used one yet have a go. You'll be genuinely shocked at how hard they go and for how long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo-urns View Post
    I'm not an engineer but if I was I would call what I'm talking about spring rate to mass ratio reaction speed.

Sawtell NSW Luxury Boutique Holiday Home Rental Accomodation Mid North Coast

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    Ryobi was your problem.

I've sheared off a wheel stud with my makita 450.
    That's why I have a makita btw450 now as well, proven from users it's a tough brother.

But today was the first time the 450 failed me, balancer bolt must be tight as it did everything previously with ease.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    The new bosch and makita li-ion batteries last longer than it takes to charge the other battery so it's kind of a moot point.

If you haven't used one yet have a go. You'll be genuinely shocked at how hard they go and for how long.
    Yeah I'm surprised how long the makita batteries last as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
    How long do the batteries last before they need charging with the strap on ones? I have a smallish snap on cordless drill and battery life is shithouse between charges.
    I have a small 3/8" SnapOn impact gun and its rubbish, battery lasts half a day. But my 1/2" used to last me 2 full days of proper use, its 4 years old now and I probably get 1 day out of it but its down on power too.

I have a Chicago pneumatic one and it is pretty good but pricey.
    The guys in the shop with snap on ones grab mine when theirs arent strong enough.
    I would probably get a makita one of ebay if i had to get another.

Have been using this one for ages for doing wheel nuts, works a treat and is ~$100 http://www.4wdworld.com.au/Handy-12v-Impact-Wrench.html

Use a torque wrench to tighten them the last bit though of course.
    this signature intentionally left blank

Local Supercheap Auto is selling this for $49.99, but i've got a feeling it's junk. All of the boxes on their shelf have been opened and re-packed. Suggesting they've all been returned. Specs on it are good but I'm not gonna buy something if it's not going to do the job.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...pc#Description
    Last edited by Reedy; 08-04-12 at 11:52 AM.

Looking at the pic I think its the style were it "charges up" and then does one large impact to take the nut off. From experience it does 3-4 of these charges to take the nut off.

I bought something similar years ago and it was ok but slow. I did end up killing it.

Last edited by ar3nbe; 08-04-12 at 12:52 PM. Reason: I suck at youtube.

no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar
    i had 2 expensive ass de-walts

one broke, one worked forever

go with bigmuz's advice as hes in the trade

Do it once, do it right, buy the makita btw450. You'll never complain again

There is a group buy on Aus300zx going at the moment on the Hitachi WR18DL Cordless 1/2-inch Square-Drive Impact Wrench, anyone got one? Any good?

Link to the group buy? Cost??

Quote Originally Posted by ar3nbe View Post
    Looking at the pic I think its the style were it "charges up" and then does one large impact to take the nut off. From experience it does 3-4 of these charges to take the nut off.

I bought something similar years ago and it was ok but slow. I did end up killing it.

Yea ok so that looks good for the price but perhaps a little too slow for my liking. I want something that can crack and whip a wheel nut off in a couple of seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Link to the group buy? Cost??

http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317373

2-5 = $335ea
    6-10 = $320ea
    11-20 = $305ea
    21+ = $290ea

Package includes:
    18v Rattle gun
    18v Battery
    Charger

Without a case or add $15 if you want the hard case.

And extra batteries are:
    2-5 = $105ea
    6-10 = $100ea
    11-20 = $95ea
    21+ = $90ea

Delievered to Perth + shipping east coast which say $15 per person to each major city, but ideally bulk shipping to 1 person would save coin.

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    Have been using this one for ages for doing wheel nuts, works a treat and is ~$100 http://www.4wdworld.com.au/Handy-12v-Impact-Wrench.html

Use a torque wrench to tighten them the last bit though of course.

Quality bit of kit these. I know a number of people that use them and no complaints/issues. They can often be had for nothing with magazine subscriptions to various 4wd mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Met up with a chick at D&D ball at the Entertainment Centre years ago. She had a face that looked like it had been set on fire and someone put it out using a baseball bat full of nails...

Here's a good video of one of those 12V plug in ones in use. That thing is slower than using a wheel brace.

Also, LOL at the background music in this video. WTF.