Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1971 bmw 2002

1971 bmw 2002

apart from having the turbo subaru sickness (EA82T wagon, RS Wagon, WRX) i've been eyeing E30's for ages, then got lent this in california last year for a couple of months

it was fucking awesome and i decided i wanted one, but realized they were too spendy and found a nice E30. then found rust. then lost enthusiasm. then borrowed a my99 WRX from a mate. then bought it for $5000.

anywho, the other day i was blasting around McLaren Vale in a '62 E type, when the owner said i should have a chat to a mutual friend of ours. turns out he had a car he wanted to sell...
    1971 2002

haven't bought it yet, but its safe to say i will. going to get the motor running this week.
    basically it's been in his shed for 3 years, was in the previous owners shed for 6. last rego'd in '03.

rust in the bottom of the LH guard, doors, surface rust in plenty of places. had a shunt on the rear left, not hard enough to break the tail light fortunately. sills, rails and floor look good. interior is good, roof lining and seats are excellent for their age, no cracks or rips, carpets are ratty, door trims are good, dash isn't bad, got usual cracks. chrome is good. rear bar is buggered on the left corner from the shunt. even has the original fuel filler cap and wheel centres

anywho, once the e30 is out, this will be in

this is my ride from the other day. fucking amazing to drive. drove it a couple of years ago and the motor was tired. now has a warm/hot 3.8 in it, sounds amazing and goes fucking hard.
    1962 S1 3.8L
    Last edited by wagoner; 14-05-12 at 10:23 PM.
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

Nice, 2002's are pretty sweet

How on earth did you score a MY99 WRX for $5k though, even at mates rates
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

As per facebook, fuck you you cunt. Buy it already and put the e30 mechanicals in, sell interior to Cal, part out the rest of the bits you dont need, win at life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Do it! But make sure you know what you are in for, look for rust in the undersides of the doors, the footwells, especially where the throttle pedal attaches to the floor and the bottom corners of the front wheel arches where they meet the chassis at the bottom.

I really want to buy one myself soon, can't really justify it though.

Look forward to forthcoming build thread!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

going to get it driving and straightened out first. haven't decided on mechanicals yet, phil makes good sense? wtf?, but i quite like the idea of a nasty little carby fed sled. the E30 5 speed swap requires cutting the tunnel too.

my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

It looks to be a nice one. BTW the E21 323i gearbox would be easier if you can get one, as it is physically smaller than the E30 gearbox. Basically the same as the E21 318i 5 speed used for conversions.
    Last edited by dsm2002; 14-05-12 at 11:47 PM.

i need more letters
    no m30 no care

Nice work, Geach. Round tail-light 2002s FTMFW.

started it up on thursday night. got good oil pressure, ran on 3 1/2 cylinders due to a buggered lead and possibly a sticky valve? there was no bubbling in the radiator, no pressure out the dip stick. did pump a bit of air out the oil filler - made me think sticky valve - open to suggestion. brakes will likely need rebuilding after sitting for ~10 years, bushes(?) in the steering are proper fucked, as are those in the shifter. clutch works, but it's right at the floor.

not bad for $1500 though...

now to shift the E30.

Mucho nice 2002 there :drool:

Super jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by CXTdreamer View Post
    How on earth did you score a MY99 WRX for $5k though, even at mates rates
    lol, you'd hate my immediate boss then, he's at $3400 to have his on the road in his name (MY99)

his mate owned it since new, never binned it, put a 3" staino system on it and some later model WRX mags. He didn't boost it up for some reason, just putted around in it (it did get the occasional spirited drive. Has a rebuilt gearbag and motor (forgies etc) about 60 thou ago it's got about 220k on the clock now. Got offered a bullshit trade in when he got his new one so passed it onto my boss. The seat on the driver's side has a bit of bolster wear and the center console on the dash is porked.

He's a cunt, I have informed him.
    Quote Originally Posted by choppo View Post
    Looking forward videos of OP doing the chicken dance in drag with bananas up the arse and other fruit around the face in gay hypnotherapist rape dungeon

can swap an e21 323i box for an e30 box...e21 box is in adelaide hills
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    can swap an e21 323i box for an e30 box...e21 box is in adelaide hills
    orly? we should talk

it is in this
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

looks like i'm picking up the 2002 tomorrow and taking it straight down to the panel guy to get the arse straightened.
    once that's done i'll bring it home and assess what needs doing to get it driving.

E30 is relocating to a mates shed where i'll dismantle it this week. he's got a hoist and air tools.

dsm2002 - i'll be in canberra in about a month - got time for a beer?

no worries. pm me anytime

Paid for this today, took a few non edo spec spec pics whilst I was there. It's going down to get the backed end pulled straight as soon as we get the car trailer.

Last edited by wagoner; 26-05-12 at 08:49 PM. Reason: pic fail

Nice rig. Should tidy up real good.

Umolestered centre console, so full of win!

Now that you've paid for it can I ask what it set you back?

Ignore that. Reading > me. $1500. Nice buying!
    Last edited by seedyrom; 26-05-12 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    not bad for $1500 though...
    pretty happy with that

edit, ha.
    you've got one by the looks of your av?
    Last edited by wagoner; 26-05-12 at 09:12 PM.

A couple.
    I'd love to have more, but don't have the garage space.

Freaking great cars.

damn son, i like your style.
    i spy tii?

Yeah, the Kugelfischer goes good, though the black one sports a weber 32/36 for extra fasts. Was trying to sell it, but have decided to keep it and repaint it, and put a 292 Schrick cam in.

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
    Yeah, the Kugelfischer goes good, though the black one sports a weber 32/36 for extra fasts. Was trying to sell it, but have decided to keep it and repaint it, and put a 292 Schrick cam in.
    hahaha, nice work. blue one up the top ^^^ had a weber and pipes, went good and made a happy noise. used have a 32/36 on my L series wagon before i went EA82T... made more noise, used more fuel, gain a hp or 2 tops

need a few bits for mine, i've been on 2002faq, bluntech, ireland engineering... got any other tips?

edit, you had the black one on carsales late last year?

Yeah, the car sales search facility was busted. I only had IT guys enquiring about it, as the 2002 model search was broken. Car sales refunded my money as they admitted they couldn't fix it. Though the site works now that it has been redesigned.

For parts I only ever use www.rogerstii.com when buying new bits and pieces.
    Or eBay. Though I'm sure you are already a car part collector, as you buy things you might need one day

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
    Yeah, the car sales search facility was busted. I only had IT guys enquiring about it, as the 2002 model search was broken. Car sales refunded my money as they admitted they couldn't fix it. Though the site works now that it has been redesigned.

For parts I only ever use www.rogerstii.com when buying new bits and pieces.
    Or eBay. Though I'm sure you are already a car part collector, as you buy things you might need one day
    brilliant. thanks for that!

re carsales, i think i ran into exactly that problem!
    very happy with my pickup, looking forward to getting it on the road, then making it mint.

From memory when I wrecked an E21 318i for the 5 speed, it had a two piece cable, and it looks like the E21 323i is the same. The shorter upper cable could be useful for additional length as the 5 speed gearbox is longer and the 2002 cable may be marginal for length. When you get the gearbox from morerevs see if you can get the upper and possibly lower speedo cables just to be sure. Check as you may need the tailshaft as well or at least the front flange. I am not sure if they differ from the e30 box.

The e21 diff also bolts in and for a 323i it should be 3.45. A better ratio with the six.

Some of the people who have done the conversion cut out the radiator support as the six is longer. Also I seem to recall an option is to shorten the water pump by about 20mm by pressing the bearing in, trimming the aluminium pump housing and shorten the shaft by the same length. You'll need to realign the alternator pulley and crank pulley.

Brake upgrade is simple. For non-Tii you need post 1980-83 e21 318i front hubs, 2xx series vented girling calipers Volvo calipers, 320i (early 1976-8) or any year 323i vented rotors. Useful hint for the US websites, our late 318i is the same as their late 320i.

On the rear any drum braked e21 brakes and backing plates are larger.

E30 wheels usually fit the 2002 as they are comparable offsets.

You can buy most things from Walloth and Nesch. They have an down-loadable catalogue and price list on their website. I have purchased quite of items from them and their service is great and postal charges have been reasonable.

There's a 2002 email group for melbourne based 2002s. pm me your email and I can pass it on.
    Last edited by dsm2002; 27-05-12 at 01:03 AM.

... and a VH44 booster instead of the horrible twin booster arrangement.
    Attachment 57432

great thread, looking at doing something similar! (looked at that blue widebody one on carsales last week, too dodgy)

Quote Originally Posted by dsm2002 View Post
    ... and a VH44 booster instead of the horrible twin booster arrangement.
    Attachment 57432
    was looking at that mess yesterday scratching my head going WTF. the whole brake setup needs servicing because the pedal goes straight to the floor, but returns. might see if i can nab the rear brakes off morerevs e21

not going to do the M20 conversion on it. i want cams (well one anyway) and carbs (possibly two...)

when i've got the car home i'll go over it and see what i need to order to get it driving. at this stage it'll need
    - shifter rebuild kit
    - brake rebuild kit
    - probably tie rods, huge steering wheel slop
    - mirror glass

not sure on the state of the clutch, when we ran the car it worked but the bite was right off the floor.

Got a soft spot for these, will be interesting to watch how it comes along