Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1971 bmw 2002

just been offered twin stromberg 175's + manifold to suit - i think they're from an E12 520
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

yep. they were fitted to the early and were rated at 120hp c/w 100hp for the 2002. They are a bolt different pattern to the SU.

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    just been offered twin stromberg 175's + manifold to suit - i think they're from an E12 520
    Thats what mine has

picked it up this arvo and took it down to get the arse straightened out. should be done by next weekend.
    doors are rusty and it's got a reasonable amount of bog in there. what have people done with them?

also, what's the big red light below the gauges? won't got out engine running.
    it's runs well too btw, it picked up the missing cylinder this arvo. fucking win.
    Last edited by wagoner; 02-06-12 at 10:30 PM.

my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

yeah so i got it's bum fixed, very pleased with the job he did. straightened out really well. he also sectioned the rust at edge of the guard and made up a new piece.

so i started digging around in the front guards. this is what came out.

this is what extensive mud build up does. bottom of the LH front guard is fucked.

This parked in front of me today, belongs to a local guy. Going to have a beer with him on the weekend, he's going to help me out. It's fucking mint.

Last edited by wagoner; 13-06-12 at 10:07 PM.

Ahhhhh that rust in the front guard. When I discovered that in my old 2002 I threw in the towel and sold it (regret selling it now) Will follow your progress with great interest!
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

more progress today.
    did a compression test, came up with 150-155 per pot. stoked.
    ripped the bonnet, boot and interior out. the dude with the blue 02 pictured above came around and we talked shit for ages. his 02 is mint, he's also almost finished restoring a 3.0 CSi fuel injected manual. fucking rare as i understand it.

might also have a line on a 2000 frazer nash. rare like rocking horse sheeit.
    Last edited by wagoner; 17-06-12 at 11:17 PM.

feck

pulled out the AC today, it was a dealer fit job and not the prettiest effort i've ever seen. don't think it'll be going back in.

currently living in france and have a shipping container at my disposal for getting bits back to aus from the UK.
    got a LH guard and floor pieces from jaymic in the cart along with assorted small plastic & rubber bits.

doors seals etc look like they're cheaper from the US?

any other suggestions of shit i shouldn't miss?

i'm not OCD about keeping it totally original or anything - ie doesn't all need to be genuine BMW.

what have people done about carpets and roof lining? mine were both completely fucked. figured i'd find a trimmer in radelaide?
    Last edited by wagoner; 30-10-12 at 02:19 AM.

The rubber strips between the windows and the doors (outside section).
    You're right though, anything rubber.
    You can get it all online from here, but postage is a killer.

From Sunday's BMW Show of Excellence:

if you could bring back a few getrag 245 gearboxes that'd be fantastic.. i've done some long trips in mine and am about ready to spit the dummy.
    also the little rubber (foam?) strips the bonnet rests on had decayed - would be worth getting them as well?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Potato Head View Post
    The rubber strips between the windows and the doors (outside section).
    You're right though, anything rubber.
    You can get it all online from here, but postage is a killer.

From Sunday's BMW Show of Excellence:
    Saw your matt black car at the concours. I remembered it from PF.

That CSL behind it was jizz-worthy.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

any spare room in the container wagon man?

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    That CSL behind it was jizz-worthy.
    ????

That hunk'o'junk?!?!

The story I heard was that this CSL was actually the one sitting for years in BMW's Bavarian Head Office as their display example. It was fully restored by BMW to original spec, a no-expense restoration.
    They then found the very last CSL Chassis to roll off the line somewhere, so they bought it, restored it, and put that in their museum.
    They then auctioned off the CSL which you see above.
    That Aussie bought it, and got it over here.

Sorry for the phone pics below, but as you can see, you could eat off the engine if you wanted.
    It was driven there which was cool, and sounded great for a factory setup.

Oh, and it won its class
    Last edited by seedyrom; 30-10-12 at 06:35 PM.

Wow!! Now that's a restoration.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

ha, no chance on the gear boxes. haven't got time to go chasing them. i found one in aust as it turns out
    going to go properly nuts on jaymic and buy everything i can afford as far as seals and rubber shit go.

who does the replacement rubbers for the rear quarter windows? edit found em on jaymic.

i also assume that the windscreen rubbers aren't special - can be sourced from the o'briens et al?
    Last edited by wagoner; 31-10-12 at 02:01 AM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Potato Head - any idea what he paid for it? I think these CSLs are undervalued when you look at what people are paying for early 911s.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

No, I don't knwo what he paid for it. Apparently its not his only one.
    I only knew of one for sale during the GFC. Not in this league, and the owner wanted over $100K for it. So they aren't too undervalued
    Not a genuine one anyway. This would be a good start point for a replica. But at $30K, not a cheap start point

EDIT: http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewCa...D=1&pID=927137
    Well now I know. 128,800 Euros / $160,000
    Considering you dont have to do a thing, rock up to car shows and win, and generally know that it is a concors car .... pretty good value
    Last edited by seedyrom; 31-10-12 at 10:25 AM.

bought about $1200 of bits from W&N in the end - they were substantially cheaper than Jaymic and better with communication. their new website is bloody good too - bad for the wallet though. ordered the stuff wednesday morning and the box arrived this AM at the freight company. now i just need to get my VAT back and I'll be laughing.

so i haven't got my VAT back - cunts.

but have got a rotisserie in my shed.
    it's totally stripped and i'll be getting it on there soon, then off to be blasted, de-rusted and painted. mwahaha

going to put on twin 40's, cam, 5 speed, vented rotors, e21 drums, bilsteins etc.
    stock interior, 15x7" rota speedy lite replica's for rims.
    Last edited by wagoner; 25-06-13 at 10:36 PM.

Opens
    Nice little car man.

I kick myself whenever i think of the time i knocked back a mint 2002tii for sale in Toowoomba when i was 18 (1987, Dad had his E12 528i and my uncle had his E28 528i turbo'd by that stage) cause i didn't like the colour or something lame...and $4500 was a lot of cash back then

A mate of mine has just about finished building his 2002 with M10 and EFI etc, should be a balltearer when it's finished.

Chip

so, very little progress on this because i bought a house in August last year and not surprisingly that absorbed all my free cash. Got a tenant in now and the $$$ is coming in for a change.

The delay proved to be rather handy because the panel/painter guy moved his workshop from ass fuck alley on the other side of the city to my town, literally 5 minutes from work and <10 minutes from my house.

So, last weekend we chucked it on the trailer and it's getting blasted and primed today

went for a cruise in this last night too. safe to say it's the greatest car i'll ever drive.
    Last edited by wagoner; 31-03-14 at 09:21 AM.

checked it out this AM, it's been blasted and will have etch primer on it by tomorrow arvo with a bit of luck.

blasting revealed a little bit more rust, a bit more bog and a couple of extra dings. nothing too serious thank fuck.

just in case anyone gives a shit we have progress. the whole car, inside and out will be in primer by tuesday.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Must be getting close to time to have a chat about a really, really fucking angry M10?

do go on son!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    Must be getting close to time to have a chat about a really, really fucking angry S14?
    I concur.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    Must be getting close to time to have a chat about a really, really fucking angry M10?
    if i've gone this far... might as well go a little further, right? my thoughts are twin 40's with cam, compression bump and headwork. needs to have manners to be a turnkey sunday driver.

drove past your place today TK, couldn't drop in because i was with the boss. due to come down and drink & point at stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    if i've gone this far... might as well go a little further, right? my thoughts are twin 40's with cam, compression bump and headwork. needs to have manners to be a turnkey sunday driver.

drove past your place today TK, couldn't drop in because i was with the boss. due to come down and drink & point at stuff.
    i'm told 40's won't cut it as soon as you mod it- i have twin 45's on my stock M10. i'll just change jets etc when i mod it