Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a car that will go forever anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    My vr has a bcm (of course) I asked holden for a spare but they said there are only two acclaim ones left in the country (I own a berlina). So what happens when all bcm's fail or most as they slowly fail you can't buy them people will raid wreckers for them they will eventually disappear and become rare. So how good are nineties cars if they need complex electrical parts to work properly, think of this imagine in 30-40 years you try to restore a vt commodore where the fuck will you find stuff????
    dude, you cant even get front control modules (Chryslers BCM) for 03 grand Cherokee's any more. at least theres 2 still for your car. ever tried to get an ECU for a magna, XE etc?

I guess you have never heard of computer restorers like injectronics, or in your case you can buy BCM simulators, or get its function nulled off the ECM, via programs like kalmaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathanas View Post
    Ballarat is as fun as putting my nads into that press
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Ballarat people are generally mongs who need twice as long to do the simplest of tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by VE Safari View Post
    You know you're a real shit cunt when jmac starts ragging on you too.
    '75 international acco fire truck!!
    '70 VG sedan - current project, now 13's for $1300 project
    '70 dodge yoot, current project - mothballed long term
    '73 KE25 corolla - race car
    '74 KE25 corolla - back on the road!
    '89 BNR32 skyline - mothballed..

my M3 is 19 years old, and has put up with serious abuse for the 10 years I have owned it, hillclimbs, drags, circuit, towed cars interstate etc, never had to add a drop of oil or water between services, only time I ever needed a tow was when I sheared drive shaft bolts of at the drags, has almost 200,000ks on the clock (had 68,000ks when I got it) and when I pulled the head off to rebuild for more power a couple of weeks ago, I found very little wear anywhere, would easily go another 200,000ks

then there is my Buick, still going strong after 85 years...
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    dude, you cant even get front control modules (Chryslers BCM) for 03 grand Cherokee's any more. at least theres 2 still for your car. ever tried to get an ECU for a magna, XE etc?

I guess you have never heard of computer restorers like injectronics, or in your case you can buy BCM simulators, or get its function nulled off the ECM, via programs like kalmaker.
    All the guys I spoke to said because it is older than vt they can't do it as they only have (brain fart can't remember the program tech 2 or some shit) they don't have the gear to do older stuff. I know there are some out there that can do stuff with older ecu's and bcm's but sometimes it is just not worth it when atm I can buy a vr for 2k.

I could buy 20 VRs for $2k.
    Quote Originally Posted by psssi98 View Post
    spread my cheeks waiting for 8inch of fake cock.

I think you guys have rose coloured glasses. It was rush that was the big killer in days gone by.

Oh, the average distance driven per year in Australia is around 14,000km.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/9208.0/

In 1988 it was 15.8k Km

So are driving less and less

Old cars shit on new cars. When my mates Captiva shit its auto at 6000km I happily picked him up for work in my 12A Capella. My daily is a diesel TF Rodeo. The engine will run on the shed floor with the fuel line dangling in a jerry can and a battery hooked up to the starter/ depressurisation solenoid. My previous rides of Datto 1600 and 80s Subaru equally simple and unkillable.

Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    I could buy 20 VRs for $2k.
    Just so you can take out the BCM's & burn 'em?
    Cruel!

*high-fives MartyRX2 over the rotary-reliability joke*
    Last edited by Forg; 03-04-13 at 08:33 PM.
    Mr Mango & Mr Pear are my heroes!!

(*) Assisted by Boeing Drivers in 2005.

If were a girl I'd have a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo

All the guys I spoke to said because it is older than vt they can't do it as they only have (brain fart can't remember the program tech 2 or some shit) they don't have the gear to do older stuff. I know there are some out there that can do stuff with older ecu's and bcm's but sometimes it is just not worth it when atm I can buy a vr for 2k.
    have you been speaking with Mr Anderson?

anyone with kalmaker can do it, or make a phone call to Castlemaine Auto Electrics
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathanas View Post
    Ballarat is as fun as putting my nads into that press
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Ballarat people are generally mongs who need twice as long to do the simplest of tasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by VE Safari View Post
    You know you're a real shit cunt when jmac starts ragging on you too.
    '75 international acco fire truck!!
    '70 VG sedan - current project, now 13's for $1300 project
    '70 dodge yoot, current project - mothballed long term
    '73 KE25 corolla - race car
    '74 KE25 corolla - back on the road!
    '89 BNR32 skyline - mothballed..

I've got a 1980 Suzuki LJ80v (tiny 4WD, predecessor to the Sierra) that when I bought it, it hadn't even been serviced in 16 years despite regular use. The only thing I can think of that's wrong with it is the valve stem seals are dead.

Why? Because it's a leaf sprung lump of steel that you could count the number of bits of plastic on one hand. It's as simple as they get. If there's nothing to break, nothings going to break. This thing doesn't even have air vents FFS. It's by no means well built too.

I've got a 1985 Peugeot 505 GTi with 600'000kms on it, unopened motor. Not smokey and it runs well. I've heard of 900'000 out of them.

It's kind of hard to say which modern car is going to last forever anyway. It's certainly not going to be a new Cruiser..... IMO TD42 powered GU is probably the last truly drive it forever sort of thing.

IMO the 80s were the peak of building shit well vs not being ridiculously complicated.

Give it two years, new Chinese cars will last forever.
    But out of spite, because they won't be any better to drive ... they'll just want to inflict themselves on you forever ... the same mindset which makes 80's Camrys just keep going ...

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    LS1 T56 Volvo 244
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

by far the worst car to buy is a mazda 3
    I'd better go get a funeral pyre ready for nopics' one on the front yard, it's been faultless after 5 years of solid driving and 110k.

After all, it's missed a service or two and has been thrashed a lot. Shame, it still feels tight as a drum....

Maybe I'll use the giant pile of wheels, motor, racq mags and various other literature that seems to back up your claim at the giant shit heaps they are.

Why did Henry Ford not have the foresight to design cars that last forever?..........we could all still be happily cruising around in Model T's

Nah, I embrace our new Chinese overlords and this disposable world we live in.
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta
    2012 VW Amarok
    2011 Hyundai iLoad
    2014 Nissan Dualis Ti-L AWD of CVT awesomeness

Had a 1997 4.2 non turbs diesel 80 series in the family since new.. Done 410,000, a lot of that off road round oz several times.. Only things done to it is fluid changes, tyres, clutches and timing belts as req for service intervals. And a few windscreens from wildlife. Never missed a beat. The Cunt's probably only 80 horsepower so the mechanicals will last forever.

I will reply in 15yrs on the state of my c63

My VZ has 8 years up, just over 110,000kms and I reckon would easily last another 8 years so that's getting up there...

Whether any cunt could afford the fuel to run it in 8 years is another thing entirely...

Brother in law has an early 90's Lancer as his daily work shitter, doesn't miss a beat despite him only getting me to change the oil twice in the last 9 years that he's had it. I did the plugs last time too, maybe 4 years ago. Has 320 something on the clock, uses fuck all fuel and cannot kill it...
    Last edited by FatBoy; 03-04-13 at 10:58 PM.

The original and the best Imposter Forg's Avatar
    16 years is getting up there?

my chev turns 50 this year.

Getting up towards 20 years which was the OP's question. Happy for you though...

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Hiluxs probably do a million km before they die.
    Not any more. Had a spat of those loose there lower suspension of late.

I reckon the mechanicals are generally built better these days than in the past. It's the electronics that are designed to last only as long as a hipster's iPhone.

Also, "clever packaging solution" = nightmare to work on (eg need to remove engine to change spark plugs). And increasingly integrated electronics means a $$$ dealership recode is needed just to change a windscreen wiper motor.

The $20k econobox mentioned in the OP could well last longer than the luxury car, due to less fancy bits to implode someday.

We've got 5 Klugers of 2010 vintage at work that we thrash the cunthole out of, the first 3 didn't even get serviced for the first 40,000k's (despite my constant fucking warnings.) 3 of them are up to 200,000k's, one's got a fucked out wheel bearing and the other 2 are golden. The other 2 are around 180,000k's and soldiering on. Doing plenty of highway k's and getting 11L per 100k's, but we also drive over ballast and through flogged out dirt roads often enough for them to cop a hiding. Some of the cunts I work with couldn't drive a greased carrot up their arse and they certainly don't understand the concept of mechanical sympathy. Pretty comfy cars to drive too, they're the perfect car for soccer mums who can't afford a Prado.

I reckon the EL and AU falcons will last ages, those motors are damn near unbreakable and there are plenty of spare bits around for the cars themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Suspended
    Agree with the Falcon being stupid reliable. The BA is even better than the E series. We have Toyotas, Holdens, come in for something being broken but Falcons, once in a blue moon, and they are always treated like shit as well!

Yeah the tradesmen love the utes, and the wagons too actually. Used to see so many at my old job roll in with yobbo blokes driving them, barely any room left in them they're so packed with stuff and they just kept going. Obligatory passenger side footwell filled with empty tinnies from the roady.
    The B series had trans problems but by now you'd think they'd all be fixed or soon to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Decisive car buyer Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    My VZ has 8 years up, just over 110,000kms and I reckon would easily last another 8 years so that's getting up there...

Whether any cunt could afford the fuel to run it in 8 years is another thing entirely...
    Haha, true. I'm planning on dailying mine until the price of fuel becomes stupidly expensive...

...so far so good on that front. 6 years old and 170,000km and nothing of note has gone wrong with it - just one leaking coolant hose and worn out strut top bushings and front anti roll bar mounts. I checked its trade in value yesterday - about $14-16k, probably less given the mileage - which probably means that it won't be long if I keep driving this daily and improve the Beetle that the bug will be the most valuable car I own

There was a point in the early 80s, after which the cost of replacing the electronics in the cars become the age defining factor.

The only electronic items in my '79 Torana are the radio (lots of aftermarket replacements available), the aftermarket electronics points replacement (if it fails, I can always refit the points), the regulator for the alternator, and the dwell timer for the wipers (I could easily build replacements for those last two from individual electronic components). Everything else is mechanical switches, relays, contact points, etc. Items that are quite repairable/replaceable by someone that's good with their hands.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward R. Murrow (19081965) American broadcast journalist
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
    2002 Subaru Forester S
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper GTSt View Post
    LS1 T56 Volvo 244
    Problem with that is the 244 will rust whereas whatever the LS1 came out of won't ...

My VT2 has 180,000k's on it & 13 years.
    Nothing other than little shit has gone wrong since I've owned it (it had 105,000 on it).

It'll do another 7 years no problem.

Previous to the VT the youngest car I had was well over 20 years old, oldest I daily drove was built in '59.

Has anyone said AU WAGON ON GAS yet?

god motherfuckin damn!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    There was a point in the early 80s, after which the cost of replacing the electronics in the cars become the age defining factor.

The only electronic items in my '79 Torana are the radio (lots of aftermarket replacements available), the aftermarket electronics points replacement (if it fails, I can always refit the points), the regulator for the alternator, and the dwell timer for the wipers (I could easily build replacements for those last two from individual electronic components). Everything else is mechanical switches, relays, contact points, etc. Items that are quite repairable/replaceable by someone that's good with their hands.
    Blaming electronics assumes that there are no advances in simplicity and reliability, even if there is more electronics in each car.

Achilles heel of the early '90s Soarers for example is the humble electrolytic capacitor. These things pre-date any widespread surface-mount technology and its a fact that caps will typically start failing around 10-15 years, particularly in hot, vibration-prone environments like cars.

Yet the same electronic circuitry if made today would undoubtedly last longer
    Last edited by perthdrivers.jpg; 04-04-13 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.