Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 RA28 Fasthack celica project

Ah I seen this on toymods. I love your progress. So jealous you get time to work on yours. Mine is as it was 6 months ago.

Love the attention to all the rust spots - subscribed to this thread

Great photos and info...really like these Mustang Celica's.

cheers for the nice words guys,

yes hatch i got with the car is cactus, ended up finding another one over in Tasmania that is in a lot better shape, so will have that sent over soon.

Colour wise it will be a shade of metalic blue, there are a few that i like.... this shape you have to be really careful with colour choice. really makes or breaks them.

commotion, your welding work inspired me to pick up the welder and get involved and learn. Your a chief welder!

and Jason thanks for the offer, will need some help with wiring as i want all brand new throughout the car.... although that feels so so so far away haha.For now, will just continue with body work.

Subscribed! Love your dedication to the rust hunt! Makes me appreciate mine even more.
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

yeah 12 months so far, although that is only really working on it 1 day a week. The shell doesnt have to much more to go. A few little cracks in the front end, then the spare wheel well and the remaining hatch seal area, then its on to hanging pannels!

pretty happy I found a better condition hatch, still a crap load of work but I recon if we restored the one I got with the car that would easy be 100 Hours of labor just on the hatch alone. So ill take anything at the moment

I have a tonne more photos and other work done, but I mainly update Toymods. So thought I would just upload a few so everyone gets an idea of what has gone into this so far.

got a but more done this weekend, continued to work with dad around the hatch area.

Cut out the top section where the seal lip was gone and rust was present, lucky it was only the top skin.

Close up of section removed showing bottom skin.

The repair piece has a step to meet the level of the top skin and fit in nicely, this just needs another small piece to tie it all together, but happy with how it went in .

Also Santa is bringing this for us, coming from TAS and in a lot better shape than the hatch we had for the car.

Few small updates on the car so far.

The hatch arrived from TAS. It is actually in fantastic shape far better than the one we got with the car. Will save many hours of work rebuilding it. Most of the channel sections and corners look like this. Only the lower lip and outer skin needs some work.

also as a change from some rust repair work for awhile, we decided to rebuild the door hinges on the car with those kits that can easily be found on eBay. Now these are not just a simple swap over but only require some work and the results are fantastic. No more sloppy loose door hinge. These are now as tight as a nuns ........ Basically everything swaps over but the diameter of the hole for the new bush does not fit, its close but we just ran a drill through and slightly bored it out to take the new bronze bush. Also the height on the hat of these bushes is too high to slot back together in the hinge, so you need to grind down the head a little so it fits in the hinge.

We decided to roughly hang one of the doors to see what the difference would be after doing this modification and the results speak for themselves. The door still needs work but we just wanted to see how it fitted. This fitment is without any seals etc and fits about 200% better than my old doors ever did on the RA23 celica.

small update, got the drivers door fitted and it wasnt sitting right at all. wouldnt shut properly. Turned out the lower hinge with the spring was bent. Nothing the vice and some elbow greese couldnt fix. The drivers door fits fantastic now, had to space it out 2mm to get the gapping right but is lining up nicely now.

This weekend plan on stripping the door and wing and checking alignment. WIll upload some more photos as we go. Its actually really nice just doing something diffrent from welding and grinding for a while. haha.

I was about to ask if you had thoguht of making it look like eleanor from gone in 60 seconds... Then I google image searched for a eleanor celica and changed my mind... Looks pretty wrong...

Yours is looking very good though.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Looking good!

keep up the details on things like rebuilding door hinges, my passenger side door sags a bit and it's useful to see the results of repairs.
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Thanks guys.. been slack with the updates.. but between new job, writing for Australian Street Car and all the other stuff I promise to get some more pics up soon. Going to work on the car tommorow too so ill do an upload tommorow night.

Got a Tap and did all the holes again, nice and fresh.

Starting to work on some more panel alignment and just see how well she will go back together and what needs work.

My gorgeous fiancÚ getting the first dibs on sitting in it.

Fixed the inner guards up and attached a new seal, fits very nicely now.

finding the high and low spots in the drivers side panels. They were pretty good rust wise but had a few very shallow dips etc. ended up only needing about .5 to 1mm filler to get it out.

Not looking bad for first session of repair, still have a few minor shallows and high spots and the body line fades off in some places but already looking much better than before.

Few more updates and pics. Here is some pics of the inner guards for those who have been interested.

Bodyline finally starting to take shape, after about 4 attempts of building it up where it was weak.

The start of forming some pieces for rust repair at the base of the front windscreen where they often rust out.

During the week the old man did some work on the passanger front wing, fixing the rust down the bottom where our other side had also rusted. I think the results speak for themselves

You just keep finding rust. Have to be almost the last of it?

Looks amazing just in undercoat. Cant wait to see it painted.

haha yea Jimmyg, and to be honest its not that bad compared to many of the RA28's we looked at. Just in the common places.
    We are approaching having it all fixed now. All that really needs to be done is a few small splits and pin holes at the front, but nothing major, the spare wheel area and the bonnet.

Then the rust repair and body will be done.... then can move onto the fuel system, diff front suspension and get it back on its wheels.

At the rate your going that will be soon.

I take it with the half cage going in its going to see a bit of track work?

PS 1j after hp much!

Going to make it nose heavy.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Haha yeah it will be nice to move on to some assembly and fabrication.

The cage will help fill the back out nicely and lets be honest these are a pretend 4 seater, god help anyone who has to do any distance in the back seat of one of these things. So will add to some body strength, safety and yes it may see the occasional event however race cars and street cars are so far apart, the emotional attachement to this thing will be huge. So It wont go in to many events where I could seriously jepordise bending it.

As for the 1J, I ran a 1GGTE in my RA23 77 celica, it did feel more nose heavy than the 4 cylinder but it was quite manageable and ive been in a few 1J examples and its great, p.s you soon forget about any minor weight distribution issues when you have that much grunt under the right foot

LOL Fair enough. Sounds like your got a whole drive line to make fit then.

Ps by no way am I picking just following the build and keen to see the evil plan you have stored away in your head.
    Last edited by jimmyg; 14-02-14 at 03:15 PM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Haha all good

yeah it will run the 1JZ with single GT3076 with R154.
    Brakes will be Hopper Stoppers front end kit with 5 stud conversion and down the back GZ20/MA70 disc brake set up on a Hilux Diff. That in itself is one mod I cannot wait for, all wheel disc brakes. The Drums on the hilux diff in my old celica were so touchy and would lock up occasionaly.

My old LC torana was the same.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

got some more work done over the weekend, didn't get many photos but see attached. The passenger guard is looking much better now and just needs a tiny bit more filler and putty. But repairs came out great.

started to remove the rust in the hatch, luckily this panel is pretty good. Just the lower section with the other skin and one corner needing work.

There was some damage on the passenger guard, very hard to get too. So the old man made up a block form/Jig to be able to panel beat it and bring it back into shape.

hatch is now coming along nicely.

The new edge finally starting to take form.

just a little bit of filler to smooth over the new edge with some sealer and she is done.

Only one other small section to do on this then can strip it back and undercoat.

bit more done yesterday,

Tried some paint stripper on the hatch, got a lot of it off and was less effort for the stripper disc after.

Ran some body filler over the new edge to make it flush and seal It all up, never looks pretty like this,

now starting to take shape.

The hatch still needs some work, little more filler to take out minor imperfections and possibly some spray putty. But it is starting to look pretty good now. This is just etch primer.

I am working on the car today and Saturday, so should get a bit more done and post some more progress.

Love the bulldog clips idea. Beats the shit out of spending coin on clamps or multi grips.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Cool car! I feel your pain on the body work!! Doing an awesome job! Keep it up. These are on my list of cars I would like to own.