Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: PF Dirtbike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Hey any of you blokes wear mouth guards, seeing Dan Ric pop one out the other day made me think I should be?
    never have and dont really see the need. Neck brace, good helmet and always wear eye protection (obvious i know but i see so many of my mate ride without). I suspect Dan does it as he cant risk damaging his teeth for the media stuff he has to do.
    RB26......................Again

Any of you guys ridden interstate on Victoria Rec Reg?

Driving to Queensland and back on a 3 week family holiday in September and am seriously considering bringing my YZ250 with me.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Hey any of you blokes wear mouth guards, seeing Dan Ric pop one out the other day made me think I should be?
    It's funny ages ago we saw some lad riding and had a mouth guard on. He was at the MX track. I couldn't understand why.
    When I had my crash I 'chattered?' dunno if that's the right term my teeth and they hurt for a bit. I think it might have been me clenching perhaps for impact. I dunno.
    My teeth are ok from it but was a weird feeling. Like fly510 said those things are very good to have.
    Old mate at the mx track may have had a few hefty offs and experienced this on a harder painful scale?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Any of you guys ridden interstate on Victoria Rec Reg?
    Driving to Queensland and back on a 3 week family holiday in September and am seriously considering bringing my YZ250 with me.
    Be interested to know if people have. We tried finding loop holes to get our MX bikes through but seems to be too much misinformation.
    Plus having ACT licences and VIC Rec Reg might look a bit sus?
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    Be interested to know if people have. We tried finding loop holes to get our MX bikes through but seems to be too much misinformation.
    Plus having ACT licences and VIC Rec Reg might look a bit sus?
    I have spoken to Vicroads and they say you are covered by TAC anywhere in Australia on Rec Reg. That said they can't even supply a map of roads you can legally ride on with Rec Reg for Victoria let alone the rest of the country.

Vicroads states that you can only ride on roads with a certain classification. Road classifications are in the Vicroads Country Street Directory which has been out of print for the last couple of years and no one has any stocks.

Rec reg is great though, ~$80 a year. Just need headlight, tail/brake light, horn and rearview mirror.

You'll be fine riding in the forest up here with that, tonnes of guys ride MX bikes with no rego.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    solid choice. that'll keep you on your toes.
    The RM250 wasn't the easiest bike to ride, I expect this to be a little nicer. I loaned the RM to mates before who returned it questioning how I even ride it in the bush, they had 300's.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    You'll be fine riding in the forest up here with that, tonnes of guys ride MX bikes with no rego.
    Cheers.

The 300's lug really well off pipe.

Was the RM250 stock motor wise?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    I have spoken to Vicroads and they say you are covered by TAC anywhere in Australia on Rec Reg. That said they can't even supply a map of roads you can legally ride on with Rec Reg for Victoria let alone the rest of the country.

Vicroads states that you can only ride on roads with a certain classification. Road classifications are in the Vicroads Country Street Directory which has been out of print for the last couple of years and no one has any stocks.

Rec reg is great though, ~$80 a year. Just need headlight, tail/brake light, horn and rearview mirror.
    Yeah in the thing I read it's like no main highways and connector roads.

Technically I could ride my bike to the fish and chip shop down the road as it's not on a main/connector road.
    We thought it was brilliant value especially for the stuff we ride in. I actually bought a rec reg kit for mine for when we went to stockton. Just in pieces in the shed.

There's a few places in Canberra Al that the same deal is. I just fear that the one time I go out I'll get pinched by the 5-0 and lose my bike.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

It's a little bit more complicated than that.

If it's paved it's a no go is the current information I am getting but no one in Vicroads will commit to anything cause no one seems to know what the accurate definition is.

This is a excerpt from the Vicroads Rec Reg pdf.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roads.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	112302

The problem is there is no replacement for the RACV Vicroads Country Street Directory so there is no reference material for road classifications.

Nice one Al, I remember eyeing them off when they came out as they sound fucking excellent all round! Would bang!

I tried reading the TMR site and got nothing, whats the deal with trailie rego in QLD? I saw there is conditional rego but assuming that doesn't apply or doesn't let you ride on road (eg if I wanted to ride my bike to where I was going to go off road?) Assuming the options are conditional rego and trailer it where you want to ride, or full rego?
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    The RM250 wasn't the easiest bike to ride, I expect this to be a little nicer. I loaned the RM to mates before who returned it questioning how I even ride it in the bush, they had 300's.
    Yeah but you have to ride what you've got! Going to be a night and day difference on the new bike. Fun times ahead!

KTM's are great besides what the whingers say. I had a 450EXC with 220hrs and didn't even need valves adjusting (did 2 Finkes, 1 Kamfari, a heap of local racing), the current 250 EXC TPI has 80hrs with only a top end. 450 EXC before these two was flawless too, but I was relieved of that by the local delinquent youth.

It dawned on me today that 37hours on my 2007 bike isnít that much riding for 12 years and Iíve added 5 hours in 6 weeks
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

110km enduro ride today was mint. Mix of single track and fire roads. Had a jerry stashed at half way point so the three bikes could refuel.
    Iím fucking shattered

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzCkomej...d=b21t44yb559c

https://www.relive.cc/view/2472678437

thats a fall haul Greg, great work out, you'll be stiff for a few days no doubt !!

Thanks. Iím on the bus home after state of origin. Hopefully can stay up for F1.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    I tried reading the TMR site and got nothing, whats the deal with trailie rego in QLD? I saw there is conditional rego but assuming that doesn't apply or doesn't let you ride on road (eg if I wanted to ride my bike to where I was going to go off road?) Assuming the options are conditional rego and trailer it where you want to ride, or full rego?
    If you want to do things legally, an ADR registerable bike with full rego is your only real option in QLD. Plenty of guys ride MX bikes in the bush without rego though, and technically speaking, if your off a formed road (eg, on some single track Woody cut on his way over the side of a cliff) you're breaking the rules anyway, regardless of rego or not. It's far easy for law enforcement to hassle cunts with no rego, so having rego at least gives you some head start at getting hassled less.

^^^ Thatís always been my philosophy. My Father In Law is having a good run with rec reg in Vic, but mainly due to the known response they get from the rangers enforcing it. (Torquay/Anglesea area). Seems the local Rangers are happy enough with Rec reg and leave them alone and only ping completely unregistered motor crossers.

Keen to jump on a dirt squirter here in QLD. Plan will be to have a plate on it. Did a ride from Noosa to the pub at Fraser Island when I lived here 20 years ago which nostalgically I would like to do again.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Did a ride from Noosa to the pub at Fraser Island when I lived here 20 years ago which nostalgically I would like to do again.
    Fraser Island is a great place to ride. Done a few multi day rides there, and just stayed at the pub/resort. Just gotta watch out for all the 4wd on the inland tracks, so best to avoid peak times.

PF Dirtbike Thread

Hey guys I currently have a Fox v3 helmet thatís a few years old. Itís pretty heavy and not that well ventilated.

My moto is a hybrid trials/trail bike that only sees >40kmph on transport sections of trail. Most riding is technical trails at 20-30kmph.

Am I crazy to consider a DH MTB helmet? Surely those guys are hitting speeds faster than I am, regularly.

DH helmets are way better ventilated and some are near 700g which is close to half what my v3 weighs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mini_Me; 12-07-19 at 09:45 AM.

I crashed my quad in to a tree at ~30kph, it tore the front left wheel clean off, sheared two ball joints, ripped apart the tie rod to spindle mount and left a huge dent in the alloy wheel... I went flying over the bars, missed the tree did a somersault in the air and landed on my head hard.

I replaced the helmet as it was a massive impact.

You need a proper helmet is the moral of my story.

head butt a tree at 30kph and you will still want the best protection you can afford on your melon.

I've been sniffing around for a new lid at the moment too, but only for something lower profile and weight which sends the price towards $1k on carbon or Kevlar item. Then i think on the positive side, that's still a lot cheaper than being in ICU under an induced coma for a few weeks because my helmet failed.

PF Dirtbike Thread

I totally get the argument of getting the best possible helmet. Iíll probably buy another mx helmet - itís just a thought that crossed my mind.

Likewise, should I then wear my moto helmet when I am riding my MTB, riding flat single track at 20-30kmph? Itís not really any different, bar the weight of the bike

Who says a DOT helmet rates for 150kmph+ impact is ďbetterĒ than a DH helmet rated to 80kmph impact (speed ratings pulled from my arse)

Itís not so much about the cost but the lighter weight and ventilation.

Even in Victorian winter I am cooking myself riding steep technical terrain. If I can keep my head cooler I might crash less too

Last edited by Mini_Me; 12-07-19 at 04:38 PM.

I've got an Airoh helmet and it's 1108g, fucking awesome thing, get one of them
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Yep they are high on the list!

Also have an airoh. Big difference from my old shark quadbike helmet.

Top of the line for most brands now are around 1kg, and we'll ventilated. It seems every 4-5 years I buy a helmet I'm impressed by the improvements over the previous generation.

You could also consider an open face trials helmet? Personally they don't appeal to me (i like the face part of my head to be attached) but I used to ride enduro with a guy who swore by them.

I spent 20mins in the shop trying on every single helmet to ensure it fitted correctly and was comfy. Iím really glad I did this as itís a pleasure to wear.

Wish now that Iíd originally done this for my car helmet instead of ordering online and itís not quite right on my head
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Had some time to kill this arvo, went to the bike shop to try on helmets to suss out brands and sizing so I could order it off mx store because they are usually thieving cunts.
    Tried all the usual flat bummer brands and didn't rate any of them and left. Went to the smaller bike shop in town and they had a couple of airohs on the shelf and I thought I'd try one on. Walked out with it 2 mins later, comfiest lightest helmet I've ever worn. Would recommend trying one.
    Right colour I reckon too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190713_151212.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	112629

Nice one. Yep you wonít regret it.
    2007 KTM 250 SX

For those of you with Airoh helmets have a watch of this video and check your brackets, regularly..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5T6W9NEtq8