Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsquirt - Super Tight Budget EFI - Datsun L20B- Anyone got experience?

Opens

Microsquirt - Super Tight Budget EFI - Datsun L20B- Anyone got experience?

Guys,

Trying to help out my brother with his Datto.

Currently the car runs a cranky L20B with a pair of 40mm Dellorto DHLA's. The car has run _ok_ in the past but not like it should. We took the carbies off to find the jetting is a very long way from where it should be, and the engine probably should be running 45's anyway.

We are looking at ways to perhaps do a tight budget EFI setup on it using GSXR1000 / GSXR1300 quad throttles and a manifold. These include injectors, rail, tps etc. Saves a fair bit of cost.

I've got my head around that aspect of it, just wondering what we should do with management.

We have a total budget of around $800 to convert it to EFI. That has to buy the throttles and the ECU. The remainder we have covered. (Pumps, surge tank, wiring etc etc)

So I've just discovered these MicroSquirt ECU's. They look like they can do the job and would be around $400 landed, new. Pretty basic, but cheap as.

I think the car will be tuned by MAP+TPS, we don't really need any advanced features at all. It just has to be better-er than carbies.

Any feedback on MegaSquirt in general.?

guys in the states have been using them with good feedback. Alot are using them with 4.8 - 5.3 ls engines with turbos and they seem to be able to tune them to 1200hp

I have looked at them in the past as a good learning curve and couldnt find any distinct problems

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    I run an MS3X and have run it for years. The biggest fuckup people make which causes all sorts of problems is shonky wiring which then the ecu gets blamed for causing misfires and running shit and the bad rap in the end, the biggest offender is dodgy grounds in megasquirt land. But bad wiring causing issues can happen to any ecu. If you wire up the microsquirt right, configure it right, it'll be fine. Mate of mine runs one on his mustang and it runs very well!

Sent from my GT-I9305T
    Last edited by krisr; 20-05-14 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

I want to see more of this grumpy engined datto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I will be picking one of these up for my thrash hack commmodore
    http://www.efisource.com/shop/ems-pr...ith-8-harness/

Based on Megasquirt.

$800 could almost buy him new webers from the states couldn't it?
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by rolin7 View Post
    $800 could almost buy him new webers from the states couldn't it?
    yeah, bare ones, with no linkages, that will probably need a jet change a couple of times to get it right.

We figure <$1000 efi is the best option.

I know you are going EFI, but just want to get on the record that a down draft 32/36 weber on a L20b IMO is a perfect match. Had the same setup in my old 1600 and was brilliant. Had a standard single carb manifold, with adaptor plate, started first click everytime, powered out of corners with no hesitation, even had fuel economy.

Your EFI setup sounds way cooler.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I'd keep the angry carbs.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Opens
    yeah, nah. the money for carbs just doesn't stack up against EFI. They aren't cheap, there isn't going to be a difference in 'sound'. Properly setup carbs cost a fortune, and over time will go out of time and need balancing, fiddling etc.

Angry carbs just equals angry owner trying to start the thing on the odd occasion. I know carbs do work, and they can be made to work with know-how. We don't possess that know-how or want to.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    420 ebay or forums for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Guys,

Trying to help out my brother with his Datto.

Currently the car runs a cranky L20B with a pair of 40mm Dellorto DHLA's. The car has run _ok_ in the past but not like it should. We took the carbies off to find the jetting is a very long way from where it should be, and the engine probably should be running 45's anyway.

We are looking at ways to perhaps do a tight budget EFI setup on it using GSXR1000 / GSXR1300 quad throttles and a manifold. These include injectors, rail, tps etc. Saves a fair bit of cost.

I've got my head around that aspect of it, just wondering what we should do with management.

We have a total budget of around $800 to convert it to EFI. That has to buy the throttles and the ECU. The remainder we have covered. (Pumps, surge tank, wiring etc etc)

So I've just discovered these MicroSquirt ECU's. They look like they can do the job and would be around $400 landed, new. Pretty basic, but cheap as.

I think the car will be tuned by MAP+TPS, we don't really need any advanced features at all. It just has to be better-er than carbies.

Any feedback on MegaSquirt in general.?
    Do you need any bits?? Im about to do a massive datto/SR part clean up.
    RB26......................Again

Opens
    watcha got?

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    watcha got?
    lets talk. Cheap or free for a good cause.
    RB26......................Again

I've got a MS2 running a 4AGE, biggest problem is finding someone who will tune it, aside from that its pretty capable and offers plenty of features for fuck all outlay.
    Its dead fucking simple but a lot of people are just not interested even if you just wanted them to play with fuel and ignition maps on a starting/running setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Yeah he won't have a problem I've tuned and built a few of them.

Do they still only use the Ford EDIS trigger or have they moved on from that?
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens
    You can use almost anything. We will just do a trusty 36-1 on the crank.

Plenty available on ebay for nix to suit almost anything too. I even have a heap of sensors your can pillage
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Slight deviation, on a Holden 304 is it worth trying to put a crank trigger on it or would the hall effect in the dizzy suffice? Would rather use the dizzy if I can.

It will not work for sequential injection. It will run batch injection and a dissy fine though.

Batch is fine - track only car.
    Thanks

Carry on!

just put a VT dizzy in it and if the ecu supports sequential on a V8 it will work..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Some mates have had good results with MegaSquirts. Only problem is finding a dyno tuner that will work with them. The people I know that have used them have just used a wideband and the auto tuning feature to smooth out their mapping, with good results.

Opens
    Cheers for the feedback!

We have been gifted a set of Hayabusa throttles (thanks to Bahaimus/Shifty/RBMan). So just need to work on the ignition pickup.

The dellortos will hit the market soon to be sold, then we can get rest rolling. Should be easily done for under $1000 total now. My brother is pumped, first time in a while he's been excited about something. (chronic depression)

It would be worth getting onto the megasquirt communities and seeing if you can find other datsun/L20B owners that have run a MS. There's actually shitloads of people using them in the states. Someone might have some base mapping for you to start with for a similar setup to make things easier.

Is this for that brown wagon thingy with the bolt on flares?

Opens
    yeah for his 180b wagon.

I have a 36-1 tone wheel and heaps of various VR sensors. You can use a blue bird dizzy with 3 teeth removed for home.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens
    Is just gonna be batch fire/wastespark. 36-1 will be enough... I've set them up before successfully, I think thats the way we will run with it.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress Tim. Been wanting to do this myself for a while. What intake manifold will you use to setup with injectors etc?