Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Microsquirt - Super Tight Budget EFI - Datsun L20B- Anyone got experience?

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Doo eeeet
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Bit of a bump, did you guys end up getting this sorted/running? The way you did the trigger wheel has my attention, was wondering if you ruled that out as the problem or not. Ive got a different ECU to you but its a neat way to ditch the other dizzy setup and go 4 coil in the process.

N-

Opens
    Crank pickup isn't our issue. Engine is in bits at the moment to try and fix an oil pressure issue

Hi, I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    Any updates?

Opens
    Cylinder head is off getting inspected at the moment, I'm hoping they find an issue.

Opens
    So the engine reco mob reckon there are a number of valves no sealing correctly. I know my brother has wound the motor over when the timing chain was not correctly aligned and we have suspected bent valves.

This will be going back together again shortly!

OR timing wasn't correct this whole time hence the barely running jazz.

Details on "Not sealing correctly"?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Opens
    Timing was checked by an old timer who knows more than us all put together and it was spot on.

He will assisting with the re-assembly as well.

Hi, I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    Keen to see how this ends up.

Opens
    huge update soon! This will live again sortly.

Its been 6 days wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeresss the update man!!!

Opens
    So a quick catch up.

We had the car 'running' with the Microsquirt, but the engine ran rather shit across the rev range.

The big thing from stopping us from doing more work was the engine's oil pressure. Anthony (my brother) made the decision years before to drive the car with little oil. It was too late when he actually caught the issue.

So he pulled the motor out and pulled it down. The main bearings were all fucked. While the motor was apart and he had some cash, he had the cylinder head serviced.

The head-shop found a bunch of issues with the head. Most of the valves weren't seating, springs were installed upside down, and seat pressures were all over the place. We think this was the likely cause of the stumbles in the rev range.

Once he had the head serviced, he lost his job and a whole bunch of other stuff piled up. The car sat under his unit complex and the engine was under my parents house. Engine was in 1,000,000 pieces, he had no cash get it together or running.

With Anthony's 40th birthday approaching (April 2018), Dad and I hatched a plan. We wanted to get the motor put together and buttoned up. So under the cover of darkness, we 'stole' the motor for a few weeks. I enlisted the help of a datto club guy (Noodles) who has put together a bunch of tough L-Series engines for himself and others. We struck a deal and he got to work.

The crank was sent away, and they found it was pretty deeply grooved. It could be reground, but for a cost. The engine shop guy, had a L20B crank sitting around and offered it for $50 plus the cost of polishing. It was mint and standard size. So Noodles got the new crank, some new bearings, rings and his head gasket of choice and starting assembling the motor.

Noodles found that the valves had previously kissed the pistons, so he opted to fly cut them to prevent future contact and drop the compression a little (mostly so it isn't such a cunt all the time).

Rougly cut.

All 4 done.

Crank installed. So sexy.

Bottom end together.

Whole engine assembled.

With the motor back together, we got to back to Anthony's place while he wasn't home and waited for him.

We surprised him on his birthday with his rebuilt motor. He was totally speechless, couldn't believe it. It meant a lot and was something he couldn't do himself (financially, mentally etc). Lots of hugs, dusty eyes and good feelings, was a pretty cool moment.

So while all this was going on I had been developing a Crank angle sensor option for L-Series engines. We used Anthony's ITB setup on a Skid Factory video to convert a car from carbs to EFI in a single day :

Mick the owner of the car ran around with the EFI for about 2 months and loved it, but it was always intended as a bit of a promo thing for my CAS's.

Mick took the L-Series out and is fitting a KA24DE, and gave us the EFI gear back.

So now we had a fully terminated harness and fuse assembly for a L4 engine. So the Microsquirt was sold and I bought Anthony a Haltech Elite 550 and a Haltech Can WB controller. So much for super tight budget.

In the next few days his car, engine, and everything else we need will be dropped to my house and we are getting it all running.

/csh

Pollitically incorrect
    nice work man, well done.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Keeping the MS? It was a PS500 on a board testing at my place wasn't it?
    Jason Broadhurst

excuse my nubness but whats the big missing chunks on the right side of each piston for? (not the flycuts)
    Last edited by kedderz; 30-05-19 at 03:28 PM.

Pollitically incorrect
    speed holes
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Keeping the MS? It was a PS500 on a board testing at my place wasn't it?
    as above, sold the Microsquirt. I can add that to the list of stuff I don't want to use again. Just too painful.

Yep, we tested with a PS500.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    excuse my nubness but whats the big missing chunks on the right side of each piston for? (not the flycuts)
    I think they are the 'this way forward' marks.

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    as above, sold the Microsquirt. I can add that to the list of stuff I don't want to use again. Just too painful.

Yep, we tested with a PS500.
    Damn was about to see if you still had the micro for a potential project I may have coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Cool update.

Your brother must be a decent dude.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Great present, something he will be able to enjoy for years to come.

L20b's are a sweet little motor, good performer on a tight budget
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Great present, something he will be able to enjoy for years to come.

L20b's are a sweet little motor, good performer on a tight budget

Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

I'm hoping it makes some decent numbers. In the region of 130/140 rwhp.

Probationarily unbanned
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Cool update.

Your brother must be a decent dude.
    From reading this, it's pretty clear that his brother's brother is a legend.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

That's nice Tim, for a complete cunt you're ok
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.