Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 All Terrains or Mud Terrains

Won't need to buy any tyres out bush if you go Coopers. Smart idea though as you went BFG instead, you'll need that backup

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Won't need to buy any tyres out bush if you go Coopers. Smart idea though as you went BFG instead, you'll need that backup
    how many sets of coopers you had?

Ive had about 3 sets on various cars and dont rate them,nor do my mates ..

Coopers are shit, there fan boys are as low as a used car salesman, HTH.

^^ Same here. Had the ATR and they were junk. Deplorable road grip in the wet and the tyre chipped and chunks tore off it off road. Much happier with BFG's AT KO I fitted after the coopers.

Cooper ST 31x10.5x15 for 75k kms on an NJ Pajero built for Touring, no spare ever touched the road, sold car with 5mm tread left.
    Cooper STT 305/70/16 for 55k kms on a 4t 80 series built for touring, no spare ever touched the road, sold tyres with 9mm tread left to upgrade to next size.
    Cooper STT 315/75/16 for 50k kms on same 80 series, no spare ever touched the road, still have 50% tread left, still own car, want to run 37x12.5x17 STT as next set.
    Cooper STT 32x11.5x15 for 10k kms on a 1.6t camper trailer.
    Cooper ST Maxx 275/70/18 for 15k kms on PX Ranger Wildtrak, did not even bother buying a spare to suit

80 series had BFG AT on it when FIL owned it, copped punctures, they wore out, replaced with some other shit tyre, they punctures and delaminated.
    Pajero had Kumho on it when bought, put a tree through the sidewall like a hot knife carving butter

so over 200k kms on same brand, across many years, and never a puncture, never a spare used, and I tour remote locations.

Yeah,

fkn awesome tyre. Clearly you have had a good run and thats great but seems plenty of people havent. i guess it all comes down to personal experience. Yours has been good and you will stick with them, mine wasnt and I wont use them again.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/..._the_agro.aspx

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-ch...-problems.html

http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...es-rubbish-111

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissa...r-tyres-15764/

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=37645

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/tires/cooper.html
    Last edited by darkside; 21-08-14 at 04:35 PM.

Can find the same for all brands... its not luck of the draw, its treating your vehicle accordingly. You also need to buy a tyre that suits what you do, its no good having an AT if you want to crawls on rocks.

So many expect tyres to live when you have smoke pouring off them whilst trying to climb an obstacle. I've seen a set of tyres that were only a month old, totally fucked because they were run at 40psi offroad on a trip.

Times I've toured with others, no one except me has Coopers, no one except me has come home without a puncture.
    Last edited by South; 21-08-14 at 04:53 PM.

They've pumped them to 40psi.

Now when I get to the farm it's best to lower the pressure? To what?

They said drop to 20psi when I want to drive on the beach..
    Quote Originally Posted by rolin7
    this forums is going downhill at an awesome rate

fuck i love this place
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Dayummm....is that miz_03b girl........ fugly....... ive rooted guys with better bod's !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    ^^ Same here. Had the ATR and they were junk. Deplorable road grip in the wet and the tyre chipped and chunks tore off it off road. Much happier with BFG's AT KO I fitted after the coopers.
    X2 the coopers I had were junk. 2nd worst 4wd tyre I've ever used.

Had 4 sets of bfg ats on 3 cars and not one compliant.

So over 300k kms driven without a puncture, or chip, or putting on a spare OR you just dont have a complaint as you think the former is acceptable?

Mate, honestly I couldn't care less what anyone else does. I'm just posting my own personal experiences. The coopers wore out quickly, looked gay and were dodgy in the wet.

Are you a coopers sales rep??

Could also be specific tyre not the brand. ST's and stt's get a pretty good rap
    I would run them as they seem like a good tyre, I would think twice before running the ATR though. Would most likely end BFG if I wanted an all terrain.

Also think the ATR is now gone and its an AT3. Not sure if its an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    Mate, honestly I couldn't care less what anyone else does. I'm just posting my own personal experiences. The coopers wore out quickly, looked gay and were dodgy in the wet.

Are you a coopers sales rep??
    Certainly not, I told one of them to fuck right off at a 4x4 show, cause he was a cunt, but the product is good!

didnt realise the looks of a tyre was on peoples must have requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Certainly not, I told one of them to fuck right off at a 4x4 show, cause he was a cunt, but the product is good!

didnt realise the looks of a tyre was on peoples must have requirements.
    Not looking like a mincer, whilst not priority no.1, is important to me.

I wouldn't bother deflating for farm work, I never have.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDoser View Post
    Coopers are shit, there fan boys are as low as a used car salesman, HTH.
    It's like I hired South just to prove my point some more.

A fan of anything else will come and give there 2 cents and leave, Coopers fans stay to see which man waxes his arsehole.

Bring out the gimp!

Being a fan of anything is stupidity. People have all sorts of experiences.

Ive seen them all fail in one way or another. I'd put on what I get that's cheap and suits my purpose.

Would the HT achilles cheap nasty shit $150 quiet highway tyres I put on my GQ handle the gibb river road, vic high country, 120kmh for hours at a time towing etc?

Yep, twice in a row, 30,000km including a round country trip towing 1.5T in a low profile 17 including plenty of crossings, mud, high country climbing. Old mate that bought my patrol hasnt put a spare on, and they're doing awesome. The bonus is he gets absolutely terrific fuel economy from a 1988 patrol towing (12.1/100) being stock height with HT 17's on. He was totally sold on them the minute he drove it with bilsteins and HT's compared to oldman-fuckyou's, raised 19 inches with MT's trying to drive on the road.

Id take the cheaper to operate, better dry and wet black top performance, FAR better emergency braking tyre every single time unless I was heading to cape york after christmas as a matter of habit (and had ore mounts out the windows to row my 4wd there)

I'd argue the HT's are a safer tyre for all black top conditions, and the best possible for loose surface...but obviously shit for mud/rock, and with the economy savings you can buy a set of MT's for play time.

fuck Cracka, are you feeling ok? Thats a completely reasonable and well thought out response.
    RB26......................Again

Heard good things about the Hankook's.. Ive put my BFG KM2 through some abuse, worst it hitting a sharp rock damaging sidewall and rim, and its still fine. Also had good experience with Federal Courigia MT.

Keen to know more bout these Deestone Mr Thailand suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	76856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	76857

fuck i love this place
    Dayummm....is that miz_03b girl........ fugly....... ive rooted guys with better bod's !!!!!!!!!!!!

thats better,dont like the white letters out?

What do the 4x4 fleet operators use like Telstra and Ergon that have actually put good research into a selection? I've seen a few using Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by gbanger View Post
    thats better,dont like the white letters out?
    Thanks mate. Feels like a better ride already. Can't wait to lift it now

Nah hate it lol put em inside instead.

I see people's tyres that have gone off road and they're never as white as you first got em n they look crap IMO

fuck i love this place

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    I had coopers, ripped them off when they were all nearly brand new. Absolutely danger in the wet. No way I was going to let the Mrs drive on them.

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    I had coopers, ripped them off when they were all nearly brand new. Absolutely danger in the wet. No way I was going to let the Mrs drive on them.
    +1 they suck arse....,
    I have a set on my trailer that are chipped and completely fucked,I hate and am going to swap over some other shit brand tyres just to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    What do the 4x4 fleet operators use like Telstra and Ergon that have actually put good research into a selection? I've seen a few using Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour.
    We have 50 or so Hilux/Prados doing construction work (big infrastructure like dams, pipelines etc) that all run BFGs. Some guys still manage to rip through 3 sets of rear tyres before others are even thinking about replacing their first set. Same vehicle on the same road at the same time every day...

I've been very happy with the Hankook ATms I'm running, and they were much cheaper than the BFGs.

BFG are old design - used to be great , tyre technology has moved on. For heavy offroad usage MTR's otherwise Toyo , Pro comp ( made by cooper) or goodyear ATRs.

Thats the thing though. Old proven technology is not a bad asset with stuff used in remote areas or harsh conditions. It's a but like the Toyota thing, they are not the best or the latest or tech and I'd never be convinced to buy their cars but as we know, you go out there and it's all you see. People just know what they are getting, for better or worse. No surprises.
    +11ty on using BFG's. In thousands of rural kms and several sets they have proven themselves.