Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventra

Adventra

Ah fuck it, will open another lltybillion thread on it just for schitzen.

Basically, as per other thread, LX8s... Jim reckons they're a good thing.

Heavy, will chew a bit of fuel, commodore reliability yep yep. But, easy, cheap to fix? Where boxes and awd units not too bad cost wise if broken?

I really like the idea of the room (have a lot of shit to move around) awd (ice n snow and a fair bit of track thrashing/slight off road) Ls (there's one on the banner) reliable/cost ratio sems good, looks, equipment, will probably get a box trailer/boat and do towing.

Nopics car, she has taken long enough to come around to the idea of dailying big v8, won't all be grind, I will drive it too, not interested in caldina (except rona's not cheap enough one), legnum (doesn't like interior, pretty small) or stagea (hearse/vulva looks). Territory turbo came up but cheapest 200k+ ones are $12k plus and hear worse about it than adventra.

So need a bit more feedback, good or bad, to bother pushing this one. Nice ones, a few on carsales atm, have the full tow bar, roof racks, sunroof and ok k's well within lowball range. Main worry is box (hacks reckon around 170k problems, have had heaps of 4l60 over 200k no dramas and these are 4l65e) and other bits costing $$$ as cheap service and running also good.

Experience welcome.

Because needs pics and stuff

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adventra.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	77631

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adventraii.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	77632

Front prop shafts let go on these, and are an expensive fix. Holden no longer stocks them, so need to be dealt with by a tailshaft shop.

Apart from normal Commodore issues, I reckon they're an ok thing. I'd get a V8 one, and have it flashed for more powers and less fuels.
    Last edited by Bob Vegana.; 21-09-14 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evo 7 View Post
    Front prop shafts let go on these, and are an expensive fix. Holden no longer stocks them, so need to be dealt with by a tailshaft shop.

Apart from normal Commodore issues, I reckon they're an ok thing. I'd get a V8 one, and have it flashed for more powers and less fuels.
    Awesome. know any more about this or other issues? Will be an Ls and tune will be about the only thing done. Maybe an exhaust...

But mainly bush thrash bus/nopics transport/general shit lugging, towing occasionally shit kicker.. But, as I'll be thrashing it, like the idea of the awd Ls bogadore wagon vs the other options at spend target. We have the mazdabator sold for $8k odd so looking to get as close to clean swap on that.

Front shaft is just a shaft with cvs both ends? Cvs are available. I had one exactly the same even down to the martini colour. Thrashed it mercilessly. One night whilst drunk I decided to chuck some helis on the back paddock and broke a front cv. (Diff to wheel) cost me 100 bucks and some embarrassment as it won't move without it.
    I put a 50mm lift, rear lsd and some 16in chasers and bfgs on mine went anywhere I was game to go.
    They are a good thing. Change the transfer oil when you get it with holden stuff, they take like 250mls...

A relative of mine has an lx8. Day to day it commutes around sydney but he's taken it across the nullabor and back about three times with his family and a camper trailer. No problems. He loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by bpm View Post
    Front shaft is just a shaft with cvs both ends? Cvs are available. I had one exactly the same even down to the martini colour. Thrashed it mercilessly. One night whilst drunk I decided to chuck some helis on the back paddock and broke a front cv. (Diff to wheel) cost me 100 bucks and some embarrassment as it won't move without it.
    I put a 50mm lift, rear lsd and some 16in chasers and bfgs on mine went anywhere I was game to go.
    They are a good thing. Change the transfer oil when you get it with holden stuff, they take like 250mls...
    Prop shaft from transfer case to front diff.

Yep, shaft with a cv each end

There has to be something you can do about that sea of black plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by sprucebruce View Post
    yeh, if you give enough fucks about it, vinyl wrap the flares and such, inside, not much except get something else. Or vinyl wrap it.

Don't give fucks about sea of black plastic. Just stuff breaking.

Need some good reasons not to buy one of these... V8 awd dirt skids seeming better and betterer option. Anyone aware of actual non typical gmh reliability problems?

Quote Originally Posted by sprucebruce View Post
    There is this radical process called paint them.
    Which probably isn't a bad idea since they've probably faded badly by now.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    That does seem cheap but I find them as desirable as rimming Magda Szubanski.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Yeh, that's not a huge surprise, persn'lly, I'm unfortunately a large scale holden fanboi sadcase and it's taken me a while to seriously consider these.

But now I am. The luggages space, towing capacity, general not too expensive, reasonaballs off roadness and sideways dirt ls combination is starting to annoy me with the amount of sense it makes for $8-10k.

I'm up to 45,000 in 12 months and nothing significant yet.
    They are a bastard on fuel around town tho.

Good luck finding one with less than 200,000km on the clock tho people don't seem to move them on until they are well used.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Steve kalfat at mkal is putting the drivetrain from one of these into a hq coupe /csh
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm up to 45,000 in 12 months and nothing significant yet.
    They are a bastard on fuel around town tho.

Good luck finding one with less than 200,000km on the clock tho people don't seem to move them on until they are well used.
    ~15ishl/100k as it states or worse? Former I can put up with, 18+ could be a harder sell. There's a few decent condition ones at about 150k on carsales but may require some tting to get into range.

Haven't heard anything untoward about gearboxes going jim?

Steve kalfat at mkal is putting the drivetrain from one of these into a hq coupe /csh
    That does actually seem pretty cool...

Have you thought about an early Gen4 (2003-5) Liberty Outback 3.0R or is it too small? I've had one of these as a courtesy car and love it so much I'm going to buy one! 240K kms and barely a rattle. Can be had for 7-10K depending on mileage, bloody nice leather interior that would shit over the Holden, and surprisingly quick. Apparently with a tune and headers you'd be in the low 7s to 100. Sounds pretty sweet too.

I've been taking it over some pretty rough territory, seems able enough. The 5EAT trans biases the rear wheels more with a 45/55 split and it's a bunch of fun on dirt.
    ----------------------------------------
    1965 Valiant AP6 Regal Safari 318, 1977 Chrysler Charger 265 - SOLD
    Web design and development on the South Coast of NSW - PF discounts, pm me

Yeh, the 03-05 Libs/Outback are still right up there with the Forrester as options.

Subarus

Plus - fuel, less likely to fall apart, manual available, at least outback and forrester low range/off road options reasonable
    Downers - a lot less room (not sure we'll need as much down there but have a heap of shit to try and get down), possibly less tow capacity, possibly deaer if something does go bang (than bogadore) +/- some mental handing in of man card. Not really. maybe...

Adventra

Plus - Actually seem pretty reliable, fucking heaps of room (unless lpg, useless cunts), pretty good clearance, would probably be a boatful of fun on dirt/shit roads
    Not plus - drinks excessively like any good australian, previous experience with 10year old GMH products build quality.

Ultimately comes down to convincing the nopics if I I decide the Adventra is a better option and though it makes a good case, not sure what premium I want to pay for the extra room v something a lot cheaper for the nopics to do the grind in. So trying to suss out the other GMH strong point, build quality/costs/reliability before bothering pushing this one to hard.

I picked the Adventra due to the towing capacity, and by that I mean a big v8 that gives no fuck for hills.
    Build quality is comparable to any early to mid 2000's jap car. No rattles.

Have been warned off from doing full lock skids so I avoid that.

Get what you need and what you enjoy driving. It is much better than a commodore but it is still a big car. Try both and go with what is easier to live with every day.

Mine had 140k on it when I bought it and it has been ok. I recon around 200k up they will start to fall apart.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    at least outback and forrester low range/off road options reasonable
    Wait, 6 Cyl Outbacks have low range?
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Oop my bad. Seems they don't, thought all of them did, just some/four bangers/i don't know, some subaru fanboi can probably clear this up.

Thanks Jim. If it was up to me and money less an issue/more towing/shit roading, I'd probably grab the adventra straight away. Otherwise, the daily grind/fuel consumption could work in other favour. Will start with hassling some car sales rubes and test drives if we can find one of each up here.

Have said this a few times on here, have had our LX8 since new in 2004. Has about 135k on it now. Is wife's daily and my tow car. Fuel around town is pretty bad, same as any LS1 of the era. Ours has been tuned and returns about 10.5 on the highway at the speed limits and less if driven for economy.

Towing, commodore race car with all the crap, averaged 18l/100 to Morgan Park from Brisbane and back, 21 on the way up and 17 on the way back, uphill vs downhill. Again, I tow at the speed limits, not 80-90 which would no doubt be more economical.

Has had one LHF set of CVs, needs another. Diff and tfr box get regular oil changes, like annually.

Other than that, its a V8 Holden with a GMC awd system in it.
    Last edited by GHZ28; 23-09-14 at 06:13 PM.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8
    BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Went looking for one a few years back, but couldn't find a good one at the time. They are a good thing for the price IMHO.

I have been told horror stories about diffs going, can anyone confirm this?

Yeh, the 03-05 Libs/Outback are still right up there with the Forrester as options.
    Subarus

Plus - fuel, less likely to fall apart, manual available, at least outback and forrester low range/off road options reasonable...
    Nah, having just got rid of my Liberty GT wagon and having a VY2 before that they are about the same for reliability, in fact my VY was much more reliable and required less servicing. Both are old cars now coming up ten years so I reckon your better with a Commodore. Subaru parts are becoming non existent even in the US for the Liberty. Australian Liberty part prices are astronomical.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    10yo cars are no longer "old" these days, unless they've been mistreated.
    Our 20yo Commode is starting to get those longevity/reliability issues you'd have seen in 5yo cars in the early 80's.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Thanks GHZ, good feedback. Room and towing main sort of reasons. And comfort and reliability/ease of repair if something does go wrong. And as you say, it's effectively a v8 commodore with an awd system and that's my main question, how hard to get those bits will be/how expensive if they do break.

mizone, thanks, suspected as much re. not a huge difference in general there/cost differences.

Forg, yeh, by and large, like most cars, if it's reasonably recent and well maintained, likely to be less of an issue. And at least it'll be driven pretty sedately most of the time.

Was considering gas too but few and far between/lose spare space/possibly not worth doing if not done/spend the money on tune.

Looooooooooong shot, but if there was any people here aware of Lx8 owners/for sales up here (ostensibly for test driving) in the Tsv FNQ area, that'd be great.

Otherwise will have to take alloycrud lx6 for a test drive which is less desirable.

welcome to have a drive of mine if you're ever down this way.

Cheers Jum! Will likely be sorting it next month or two so will just keep an eye on the rags up here, make a decision and fly out to Bris/Swedeny when the right one (of either) comes up. Drive back.

Currently one in black, sunroof, roof racks, tow bar down vaguely your way but need the nopics to take both for a drive first lest I hear of it the next 5 years if she doesn't like it. And would like to do it soonish as afore mentioned one looks pretty tits (sagging roof lining and all).

And, in the interests of a fair test, best she takes the ls for a spin really...

Looooooooooong shot, but if there was any people here aware of Lx8 owners/for sales up here (ostensibly for test driving) in the Tsv FNQ area, that'd be great.

Otherwise will have to take alloycrud lx6 for a test drive which is less desirable.
    Do NOT buy the Alloytec motor of that era. Go the V8.

See above, never in question. But do need to test drive some sort of iteration.

But it's more that convincing the nopics it's a good thing is best done in the Ls/lx8 than the alloywheezemootecpoobox, especially in pox spec models.