Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1185

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Almost there.

Boost is good.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Uh....racecarsdirect strikes again, I've sent an email inquiring about this collection of transaxle bits in Italy....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	508370.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	106942

It wouldn't be so interesting, except that the shaft in the picture is identical to the one in my transaxle. Given that in all of my research into these 6 speed "Hewland" transaxles, I've not encountered the same shaft. I can only come to the conclusion that this is a sister shaft to the one I have. This ties in with it's location in Italy.

It would be interesting to see if other parts shown might even reveal a reverse gear.....there looks to be some spare ratios,maybe..

Meanwhile, only a short text from Viv to say that he intends getting to my car....
    " I didn't have $$$$$, so I thought I'd build a car instead" : Ron Tauranac

Top left and top right look like reverse gears (double ramped teeth for engagement), along with small gear in dead centre of shot.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	583.1 KB 
ID:	106961

It seems there are more bits....including the oil pump, identical to the one I've removed.

He wants Euro 1600 for the lot, I'd be crazy not to.....

That looks like a lot of head scratching. Amazing to think how much all that would have cost to build back in the day.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

To assist with the head scratching I've fired off an email to Williams Grand Prix Heritage department to see what light they can shed on how all of this might fit together. They ran a very similar transaxle and are one of the few teams of that era still operating. I just don't get the feeling that Mclaren would help anyone at all....thinking about it they were probably using Weismann in the states by then anyway.

No answer from Williams, still, it's a busy time of year over there.....

I spoke to Viv again today, it seems he had got it all together and on the rollers when one of the replacement injectors failed!! He then changed back to the standard Falcon injectors and was going to tune it at that. I decided I didn't want that, I'd rather buy a replacement injector and go for the limit of them and the fuel pump. I mean, there is no sense leaving low hanging fruit, not after coming all this way.

I've got to say I'm missing having the racecar here, it is taking on mythical beast status in my mind, it seems to have been that long. I've freshened up the truck engine which means the Magna that I bought to tow the racecar is no longer required, it has run out of reg. and I can't be arsed doing anything with it. I've got a couple of cars that need moving around but the car trailer is with the racecar....It's just a bit of a drag at the moment.

Soon I will have a pile of parts from Italy but not the transaxle they fit in ?

Banned
    Roy a shame you didnt get into electrics, you could have been another J Tesla
    but youd be putting the deathray to use already on those speedway inbreds

Atm you are the closest bloke Ive read about that comes close to Burt Munro
    Last edited by datso; 28-06-18 at 01:13 AM.

Electrics! fuck! I'd have electrocuted myself to death by now.

I'd have to agree that this is my shot at doing something big...

I must say I am rather keen to read your thoughts on the car after your first full boost drive. I believe it will be a well written piece on how truly insane a monster you have built interwoven with the odd cuss word.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Hmmm rumble grumble...... A box of parts have arrived from Italy. There are a handfull of parts not in the box. After an hour of sorting through the bits that did arrive, There are a substantial amount of parts which don't suit my transaxle. Whilst I can't complain about that, I can't say I'm not a little disappointed....

Shouldn't complain, I do now have a spare 1st gear and a whole heap of dog rings and hubs.

What I would like now is a text from Viv "240 rwkw @ 7800 16 psi come and pick it up" That would just make my year. I live in hope.......

No such text from Viv, but he did say I could enter a hillclimb on the 22nd of july, I guess he thinks he will be sorted by then...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    No such text from Viv, but he did say I could enter a hillclimb on the 22nd of july, I guess he thinks he will be sorted by then...
    Is there a sign on his wall to the effect of "If it were not for the last minute, nothing would get done around here" ?
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Hmmm It's starting to look as if that is the way he rolls...I've entered a hillclimb on the 22nd and he has sent a text saying he is underway.

I don't think I'd realised what fun I had missed out on by leaving the Echo engine in the back of the little green car standard.....

On another subject, I just don't understand people who think motorsport should be safe or lets say 'risk free'. I posted a pic of the little green hillclimber (in the 35k road/track car thread)and the first comment was that it was a bit killdeathy. If a racing car is not as light as it can be, and lets be honest here, the little green hillclimber is all mild steel, it could be lighter, then it is not as racecar as it could be. I can't comprehend racing something that weighs 1440 kg like a V8 Supercar. My view is to look at the momentum/energy that one would carry into an accident, the heavier and faster something is travelling the more energy it contains E=MC2 or something like that.... The little green hillclimber weighs 375 kg and is probably only good for 160 kph, means considerably less energy carried to the site of an accident than most cars. I don't disagree that Nascar need massive roll cages, they weigh 1500 kg and travel at 200 mph inside a concrete wall, that is only correct. I just can't bring myself to accept that it is motor racing. So chassis and cage need to reflect weight and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Hmmm It's starting to look as if that is the way he rolls...I've entered a hillclimb on the 22nd and he has sent a text saying he is underway.

I don't think I'd realised what fun I had missed out on by leaving the Echo engine in the back of the little green car standard.....

On another subject, I just don't understand people who think motorsport should be safe or lets say 'risk free'. I posted a pic of the little green hillclimber (in the 35k road/track car thread)and the first comment was that it was a bit killdeathy. If a racing car is not as light as it can be, and lets be honest here, the little green hillclimber is all mild steel, it could be lighter, then it is not as racecar as it could be. I can't comprehend racing something that weighs 1440 kg like a V8 Supercar. My view is to look at the momentum/energy that one would carry into an accident, the heavier and faster something is travelling the more energy it contains E=MC2 or something like that.... The little green hillclimber weighs 375 kg and is probably only good for 160 kph, means considerably less energy carried to the site of an accident than most cars. I don't disagree that Nascar need massive roll cages, they weigh 1500 kg and travel at 200 mph inside a concrete wall, that is only correct. I just can't bring myself to accept that it is motor racing. So chassis and cage need to reflect weight and speed.
    My experiences with this are having a big crash in a 1500kg commodore, chassis written off everything else OK, left track at about 150 km/h and hit wall 113m later at about 100 through/over a gravel trap. Second incident was a spin in the Radical, braking from 186km/h into turn 6 at QR on what I did not realise was a deflated right rear tyre. Thing spun violently anti-clockwise and went off track to the right and came to rest straddling the inside kerb at turn 6, a distance of 89m from where it spun. Damage was a rim, tyre and starter motor, bike engine you see so it tried to go backwards at 1 million rpm. What I am alluding to here is the lack of mass of the Radical meant that out of control it came to rest from 180 km/h in less than 90m in a cloud of dust, didn't carry through to any barriers etc. where the heavier cars just don't wipe off the energy/momentum like that. Could also be something to do with all that aero stuff producing so much drag when not running in a straight line, video shows I spun about 400 degrees in total. And despite my initial fears, I did not have any issues with an open cockpit after years in sedans. I guess having an FIA approved structure helps too.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Yes I think momentum is like speed. In that like it takes more than twice the power to double your speed, doubling your weight possibly increases momentum by more than double.

EDIT: nup, linear relationship, 2x weight = 2X momentum
    Last edited by Roy928tt; 11-07-18 at 07:29 PM.

careful mixing Terms

momentum is linear with weight and Speed
    energy is linear with weight, but squared to Speed

so double the mass for a given Speed = double the momentum, and double the energy

the 'problem' is energy and Speed. more Speed (for any weight) = waayyyy more energy. that energy Needs to be exchanged through conversion (Brakes/heat) or Transfer (Impact). weight certainly doesnt help, and double is still double, even if it is linear!
    Last edited by doctor ed; 12-07-18 at 01:26 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Thanks Ed, I had a sneaky suspicion I wasn't getting the picture quite right. I knew it took more energy (HP) to accelerate a heavy vehicle to the same speed in the same time, but where did it go? Thanks for that.

I got myself into an argument about new Mini, the other evening following a Super Sprint at Mallala. Can you believe a new Mini weighs over 1200 kg and has the wheelbase of a 1st gen. Range Rover? My point was that it wasn't suitable as a track car, due to the requirement of upgraded brakes to deal with the ( quite frankly, enormous) weight. In the next pit garage was an XA GT Falcon they only weigh 200 kg more than a new Mini!

There were a couple of Mini Challenge cars there, they have 350mm discs and 4 pot AP racing calipers!

So it got me thinking I need to get the Hillclimb car into this Super Sprint lark. I'm thinking a body like those used to convert F5000 into Can Am cars

Name:  82ca-6.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  100.7 KB

Just like an oversized Radical or West.....

You'll make progress much quicker testing at mallala rather than collingrove.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    You'll make progress much quicker testing at mallala rather than collingrove.

Time in the seat racing > Pissed of waiting in the pits for it to stall again.

I hoped the wait would less for the tune but sadly it seems not.

All good things to those with deep pockets. All others joint the line.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

My intent is to pick the car up on saturday for a hillclimb on sunday...clearly not a schedule created by me. Mentally preparing to be disappointed again, but very much looking forward to having the car back nonetheless.

thumps table in frustration....

come onnn.....
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Picked up car, drove it onto trailer ( this is an improvement, couldn't do that before)

Let's see what tomorrow brings.......

Checked Facebook.... nothing there either...

Well, just back from hillclimb...

Once again neither car nor driver lost fluids and no breakdowns either.

The tune is much improved, "still only"180 rwkw @ 7200 rpm @ 7 psi, It is still not factory style forgiving just off idle but I can drive around it.

In 1 st gear it just torches the tyres to 8000 rpm snatch 2nd and feed it in again and the push in the back is nothing I've ever experienced, but at Collingrove that just launches you toward the blind crest that is the first bend. I back off for it, some brake, I reckon if I were going any faster left foot braking could be the answer.

The rest of the track in 2nd gear is just a challenge to try to gently feed in power to carry you through. I feel that I need to revisit the throttle travel/linkage.

Boost per gear or traction control would help alot. Any times? Was a nice day for it.

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

After the first bend there is nowhere that the throttle can just be buried, it is always a gentle juggling act between engine output and traction with a swift pirouette only a flex of the ankle away.

My first run this morning was a swift lesson in that, I left the track backward at the exit of the wall......fortunately I managed to stamp on the clutch and keep the engine going and even without reverse gear managed to regain the track and drive the rest of the way. The clutch....

The clutch is a pain. Whereas the throttle needs gentle modulation, the clutch is like compressing a brick with your left foot and it needs to be pushed all the way to clear fully. The disparity between the two pedals is challenging, and the mechanisms they unleash are brutal. The clutch is quite unforgiving it is hard to release smoothly because it takes such effort to operate (especially with my matchstick legs) on the other hand the throttle is light and the engine response SO immediate. No sooner is the clutch released a little throttle applied or is it vise versa, that the rear tyres are alight and the scenery beckons......

As I returned to the pits after my first trouble free run, I don't think I was actually whimpering but I was certainly shaking from the brutality of what I'd just experienced. The actual elapsed time was not fast, indeed the old car has gone faster, but the sheer brutality of the fight to stay in control of this demented monster I've built was quite shocking.

As I mentioned earlier it has "only" 180 rwkw, if that is what 180 rwkw is like, thank goodness Viv didn't deliver 240 rwkw........

At this point there seem to be several things to try to improve I don't think there is one simple fix. A set of hillclimb spec tyres would be a big expensive step forward but I'm not in the financial position to go down that road immediately.....

I'm in the 36 th second range, my first split is about 3 tenths better than usual with the old car I'd suspect that the 2nd split is also quicker and The 3rd slower( we didn't get 2nd split times for most runs today) It was one of the nicest weather days at Collingrove and with only 62 cars there were 9 runs each even with plenty of offs and even a gentle rollover.

Viv was talking about launch control....

Lets see where we go

Awesome, glad to see it starting to come together, well done.